• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Letter from USO

mik3

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
SF Bay Area
Looks like USO is sending out letters about possible delays on orders. I happy to see them proactively provide information to customers.

I can't wait till mine comes in; if it weren't for Horus and a bad batch of reticles I'd have my USO now.

Re: Letter from USO

My understanding is that if your order specifies a lit Horus reticle you will have to wait, due to coating issues with the last batch received. If the scope is to be unlit, the reticles subtend properly and are OK for use. For those of us waiting for orders that specify Horus reticles the wait is NOT the fault of USO.

You're spot on Graham. I got a call today from Becky. Looks like a batch did come in but once inspected they didn't cut it under illumination. I'm gonna drop that feature as I don't shoot at night. The glass is so good and clear I should be able to shoot well into the afternoon.

If it's any consolation, I work for USO and I can't get any scopes for demo. I have a major MIL/LEO/etc show coming up and the optics I have are what I will have to run, simply because they are making your scopes. There were several big contracts and the small matter of the "Accountant" falling through the roof of the clean room
grin.gif
,love ya' Nick
smile.gif

I hope that all of your scopes get processed quickly and out the door, truth be told if USO is that backed up it's a good thing for USO. I just hope that all of you that decided to get a USO tell them back at home base that it's because of me
laugh.gif

FWIW I'd just as soon go into that show with nothing but a bunch of catalogs than make any one of you wait 1 day for your optic.

As for you poor bastards waiting on Horus reticles........... until Horus lets us use our mfg's to make the reticles, the wait will be long and painful. 1 of 12 is not a good ratio especialy with 5 - 6 mos between shipments. We can get 99 of 100 perfect through our mfg but we can't do it unless Horus says so. There is no help on that front unless Horus says "Pay us for the intelectual rights of the reticles and make them where you want".

Cheers,

Doc

seems like if USO made their (Horus's) reticles and they worked, isnt that enough change to justify "different" or "not or direct copy"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like if USO made their (Horus's) reticles and they worked, isnt that enough change to justify "different" or "not or direct copy"? </div></div>

I'm sure Horus would have something to say about that. Effective manufacturing does not enter into the patent world, just the concept and application.

Cheers,

Doc

I wonder how much "change" the reticle would require to be different enough to not infringe on a patent?

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That doesnt seem like a good business plan for Horus, but I am no businessman, I guess. </div></div>

For some reason, Horus doesn't give much of a shit about quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimboww</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how much "change" the reticle would require to be different enough to not infringe on a patent?

Jim </div></div>

I was thinking the exact same thing.

a reticle by my own hilbilly definition is two intersecting lines that direct a point of aim,....isnt Horus already infringing on someone already....over and over and over and over and over and over?

You may not be able to patent the concept of the reticle details, but the manufacturing process that improves "pass" optics is patentable if you can show a big increase in the effectiveness. 1:12 to 99:100 is a pretty good example of "effective increase" I'd think.

My 12 week quote time has come and gone. I sent Becky an email yesterday to get a quick status and today when I came into work there was an email from Kayle saying they are running behind. Nothing new..............

Dear U.S. Optics Customer,

Due to an increased amount of orders all lead times have been extended. We apologize for the delay but wanted to let you know that we are working hard to ship all orders as efficiently as possible. Please feel free to contact U.S. Optics with any questions or concerns.

We appreciate your patience.

Respectfully,

U.S. Optics, Inc.
150 Arovista Circle
Brea, CA 92821
(714) 582-1956 Phone
(714) 582-1959 Fax

Yup that's the letter I received too. I'm contemplating on if I should just wait for USO to manufacture the reticles but who knows how long that will be. Even trying to find and buy a Horus scope is a pain.

Hopefully the Military contract will help fund or clean up their act.

The thing is I am not waiting for anything special like a Horus reticle or anything like that. It's just an ST10 with EREK, M40 style windage knob, ERGO, sunshade, MOA scale type 1 reticle, and a couple flip-caps.

Pure vanilla.
confused.gif

Hummm that's odd then. I guess the clean room and show push them back.

I ordered mine two weeks ago with a standard reticle and was quoted 4-5 months. I got that letter via email on Thursday. I have no problems waiting, I just hope they aren't rushing to get things out the door on time. It seems sometimes when that happens QC can slip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimboww</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how much "change" the reticle would require to be different enough to not infringe on a patent?

Jim </div></div>

More that 20% change

I think it might be a little more than just an order with a Horus Ret. that are involved with the Order delays. My brother got a call on his cell yesterday to say that his scope is not coming while we were on lunch and he wanted MOA scale for a Ret. choice & he ordered like 3 months ago with deposit paid. I don't think they even started on his scope build yet. He is just slightly Peeved to say the least. Sounds like they are way behind.

I think the clean room issue is long past. Right before ordering my ST10 the build time quotes were 8 weeks. When I got my quote on March 11th and order placed on the 12th the quote time jumped to 12 weeks.

But I am ok for the moment. If it only takes a bit more time then that's what it takes. It's still better than you guys out there waiting on your MST-100 builds.

Oh well, it's been paid in full and here I set so my fingers are crossed that it's built soon.

Hey guys,
Everyone got the letter, but not every order will be delayed. We are pushing out scopes faster now than ever with our new assembly procedures.
The letter was from the requests from all of you. The voices on the Hide said, "USO should at least tell everyone that their orders will be delayed", so we did. Now we are getting just the opposite response, "why is my scope delayed?" and it is creating quite the stir.
Look, there isn't anyone in the firearms industry that isn't totally slammed right now. I need to remind you that these scopes are not sitting on a shelf somewhere ready to ship. We are the ONLY custom scope manufacturer, just like a custom rifle, it takes time. We don't want to compromise the quality to get these out the door faster.
I'm sure this doesn't settle your want to have your new scope, but we are doing our best to keep you guys informed.
Thanks again for all of your patience.
John III

John,

Glad you stepped in. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. We asked, you provided, and we're still "complaining" (for the lack of better words). If it takes more time then it takes more time I guess. It won't stop me from ordering more in the future though.

I hope to see my USO soon though. Now get back to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We don't want to compromise the quality to get these out the door faster.</div></div>
Enough said.

FWIW, I placed my order back on May 30th or so and my scope shipped on the 14th of this month. I only had to wait 2 1/2" months despite getting the 4-5 month quote.

I'm on month 3, it is what it is... I just try not to think about it, that way when it shows up, yay for me!

Wait time for custom rifle builds have encroached on a year, sometimes more, and people seem to not be concerned about that. There's damn sure a lot more components involved in making a scope...