• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark IV M1 or M3 turrets and why?

glockophile

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Underground bunker! Indiana
Im about to order a Leupold Mark IV and I still cant decide on the M1 or M3 turrets. Heres what Ill be using it for. I currently only have access to 200 Yards max but hope to find some longer distances to shoot. I like the simplicity and speed of the M3 turrets, however being primarily a paper puncher I like the finer tuning of the M1. Im afraid that with using a wide variety of bullet weights Ill never be able to get exactly to point of aim with the M3 requiring me to hold over. Im looking for what will be good up to 200 yards but will also do me well if I find longer distances to shoot. Which should I choose and why? Post pics if youve got em' Thanks

Re: Leupold Mark IV M1 or M3 turrets and why?

Get the m1 turrets. They will be plenty quick enough, especially if you are only shooting to 200 yards. You will only be dialing about 6 clicks with the m1. For someone who punches holes in paper only, get the m1's, hands down. Only get the m3's if you are gonna be punching holes in flesh. M1's are for precision. M3's are for quickly dialing in for an effective shot on a larger target.

For what you are doing get the M1 knobs. It will allow you to get more precise in your adjustments.

I have the Mark IV 8.5 x 25 and I have the M1's. I have it zeroed at 200 and its only 36 clicks all the way out to 500 yards. I like the 1/4 clicks.

I think the M2 option would serve you the best out of the MOA knob choices. But if it's a Mil reticle, are Mil knobs available?

I'd get the M2 turrets.
They'll give you 30 moa per revolution and can let you stretch any caliber.

I currently use the M3 and like them as well.
With 60 moa per revolution (M3) you'll never get lost.
At 600 yards I'll never be further than < 3" from my poa.
Not good for an F-class scope but ideal as a tactical "unknown distance" type shooting optic.

M2 will bridge this gap perfectly.

i think not sure but just bringing it up but either m2 or m3 has a adj stop which is real help ful for practical long range shooting

If your set on a Luppy, I'd go with the M2. Not to course, not to fine. For the same reasons Hamilton stated above.

Hope this helps.

Trilogymac

For target shooting get the M1. At 600 yards one click on the M3 moves the bullet 6 inches, M2 moves the bullet 3, the M1 move it 1.5 inches. The F-class X ring is 3 inches at 600. You can easily bracket it with the first two.

Good luck

Jerry

Great bits of advice, I too am currently trying to decide between M1 and M3 turrets. One thing I've seen is that the M2 turrets are only available on their illuminated 3.5-10x40 scope. As far as my applications go I will use it for Hunting. In Wyoming illuminated scopes aren't allowed, so I won't risk using one. I wish they had the M2 turrets on their non illuminated scopes. So for me and the wife, we'll get the M1 turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great bits of advice, I too am currently trying to decide between M1 and M3 turrets. One thing I've seen is that the M2 turrets are only available on their illuminated 3.5-10x40 scope. As far as my applications go I will use it for Hunting. In Wyoming illuminated scopes aren't allowed, so I won't risk using one. I wish they had the M2 turrets on their non illuminated scopes. So for me and the wife, we'll get the M1 turrets. </div></div>

Their custom shop can install the M2s on other models as well. Either order the one you want direct from them, or send in an existing one and swap out.

SGTBUTT,

If you can find any good used non-illuminated M3, Leupold can convert the elevation to an M2 dial for around $70. The windage dial on an M3 is already 1/2" adjustments so it does not need changing.

Any used M1 built since 2007 can also be converted to M2 dials, but you will need to change both dials.

Any M1 built BEFORE 2007 cannot be converted to M2 or M3 dials.

You determine the build date by the letter prefix or suffix in the serial number on the bottom of the scope. The master list is on the Leupold FAQ page.

Bob

I'd go Nightforce because having knobs that match the reticle makes life easier, Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA, Luepold needs to pull it's head out of it ass.

I am going through the same frkn dillemma, they need a R1 not the Tmr type reticle since they now offer the CDS,M1,M2,M3 but I am just a sod knocker.

Bob, thanks for the heads up on the custom shop doing the switch to M2 turrets. I would love to have the 1/2 MOA increments due to speed and the finer adjustments then the M1. But I don't like the rough 1 MOA of the M3, 1 click is 10 inches at 1000. Don't think I'll make it out that far anytime soon but thats still very rough, 5 would be plenty adjustments for me. The M2 might be the best all around. Does anyone have pics of a converted M1 to M2? Or will the turrets just look like an M3? Thanks

sgtbutt,

An m1 converted to m2 will look just like an m2:

M2 picture

Of course it won't be Dark Earth tones and it won't have illumination, but the turrets will look just like the one in the picture.

Of course like I said in my prior post, the cheapest way to obtain a non-illuminated M2 is to buy a M3, not an M1 to convert. An M1 to M2 conversion will cost double the price of an M3 to M2 conversion because both windage and elevation have to done on an M1. An M3 will only need the elevation converted.

If you have to buy a new Leupold (and used is better), try to order it direct from the Leupold Custom Shop with the reticle you want (like a TMR) and the turrets you want M2's. There on-line custom shop interactive sucks, so you may have to call them directly. Be firm, many of the folks that work their have nary a clue.

With Leupold's MAP controlled pricing structure everybody is charging the same $ anyway for new glass. Used & discontinued new models is where the bargains lie.

Bob

For what you are going to use it for I would go with the M1 over the M3. The M3 are great for one turn to 1000 and Zero stop, but if you are going to use different loads and only shot out to 200, the fine adjustment of the M1 will work well.

I have a Mk4 with M3 turrets and it's great whenever i'm out shooting steel, and some of the matches I go to, I can generally stay in the 10 ring at just about any range since we only go out to 700. It kinda sucks at 100 because I can't fine tune the zero, i'm usually 1/2" high or low, or a 1/4" left or right (m2 windage turrets). However when we're just bangin' away on my steel target I can dial the elevation correction in no time, just a couple clicks and i'm ready. Most of my shooting buddies are crankin' away on their 1/4" clicks.

I am planning on getting it converted to M2 elevation knobs soon. I'm going to see about getting it re-tubed to 4.5-14x as well, with a possible reticule upgrade, but M2 elevation knobs for sure, that'll give me a little more precision, well technically double the precision of adjustments.

I highly recommend the m2 knobs. As for the reticule, I don't use hold's at all when shooting, I dial my correction for the wind, or the range because I can do it quickly without taking my eye off the target, so all I need is the standard mil-dot reticule, but I prefer the lines rather than the dots.

Branden

To add to what Bob said, I have my model quoted as both option 1. I present the scope and option 2. I order it from Leupold new.

Of the two beware that the charges for conversion are far greater if you send in your pre existing scope for work than it is if you buy new and customize. Currenlty per my convo with Luepy to add a CDS knob for a new scope from leupold it is 60 per knob and the TMR reticle add on is 130.00, However if you send in a scope it is 90 per CDS and 190 therabouts for the TMR add on. So when it boils down, your really just better off buying new, unless you own the scope allready.

Stick9,

Yes, no, and maybe. A new 3.5-10x40mm M3 w/TMR reticle, non-FFP and non-illumination, from the custom shop costs $1129.99.

Add converting the elevation only to M2 is $70. per a Leupold quote about 6 months ago, Making your new total $1199.99.

A Used M3 non-illuminated with Duplex reticle can be had for $700 or so. With MILDOT around $750. and TMR around $800.

Even if they charge $90. for changing the elevation knob to M2 and $190. for the TMR (unless you buy one with TMR reticle already), you still below the price of a new one by $200. to $300. or so.

The warranty is the same new or used. Buying a new Leupold is usually a waste of good cash. But it is your cash, so spend it as you will for what best fits your needs, not mine.

Thanks,

Bob