• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Liberty Optics Still Legit?

Welp, my posts in the other liberty thread didn’t age well.
12DB425B-4AE0-4D36-B0C5-7A4B28E92F16.jpeg

Just got off the phone with Shamus and he got me squared away. I just want to reiterate my appreciation for the level of customer service that he and the Vortex team are taking with their customers in this situation. This was my first Vortex purchase but it certainly won't be the last.

Evening Folks,
Appreciate everyone who has reached out. Please continue to do so and ill reply asap.
Our customers are truly #1 priority and i will reply to each and every email.
My email is [email protected] and cell# 608-335-4486
Email will be the quickest way to get things moving and ill be on all evening to look after these.

Also, just so folks are informed. We received drop-ships for Liberty Optics up until this week. But they were not released until Vortex was paid.
In all of these cases i have been dealing with, i have the order information but they are just being held as we have not received payment.

I am hoping all of you can file a chargeback and get your money back.
It's very important that each of you are looked after and will help with any order needs to get things moving in a timely manner.

Thanks again for the opportunity
Shamus Terry

Who knows but I’d guess either he fell off financially or his health. Either way it’s fucked up to burn your customers and go out with a shit reputation.

I don’t get what’s so hard for you to understand. This is standard practice across the retail industry regardless of whether it’s a stocking order or a drop ship. What does it matter to the distributor where it goes? It’s on credit and either way it’s out of their possession so it makes no difference.
According to the post from Shamus the orders with Vortex were prepay orders and were not shipped until they were paid for.

According to this, dissolution of Liberty Optics LLC was back in 2008???

I don't remember the exact years, but I think it was around 2005-2008ish that Scott moved from Montana to Florida and closed the Montana LLC and opened a Florida LLC, and after a few years in Florida he moved back to Montana and closed the Florida LLC and started another Montana LLC.

Reactions: Scopeye and lash
Fucker got me for $1573. Luckily I was inside the 60 day window with the cc. Anyone have his business address and contact info for the mt doj complaint form? Not much worse than a thief. Fuck this guy I’m going to file every .gov form I can find for him.

Has anyone received anything they ordered from June on?

I'm hoping this is a huge misunderstanding but the pessimist in me is starting to think this was planned for a while. Vortex doesn't seem to have been paid on anything for whatever their net terms are, 60, 90, who knows. Then there was the anniversary sale in August? which was supposed to have the biggest discounts ever. I'm sure tons of people ordered during that timeframe. At $2000 per order, that adds up pretty quickly.
I ordered a Vortex Razor 4000 GB in the middle of August, and received it Oct 2. Sounds like I got extremely lucky.

Something interesting is that it shows the business dissolution was filed for 10/01/2023
That kind of would lead one to believe that there was a plan to shut everything down and be gone before anything became public
I would not be surprised if someone found bank accounts are either closed around the same time, or cleaned out about the same time.
The lack of any communication from Scott about the matter kind of is what is the most damning part of information.

Reactions: jr81452
Lots of unknowns here but one thing is for certain. Vortex is unmatched in how they treat their customers. No matter what you think of their products the industry needs more of what they do.

I am for sure going to be buying more Vortex products.

Now of course begins the search for a new favourite dealer that is trustworthy and also offers excellent discounts.
That might be a bit of searching.

Now of course begins the search for a new favourite dealer that is trustworthy and also offers excellent discounts.
If you find one let us know as I would be on board as well.

Reactions: godofthunder

EuroOptic has always been outstanding to me, and their pricing on Vortex is pretty good with a PRS membership.

I've purchased many items from cameralandNY @gr8fuldoug has been good to me over the last few years. If only he sold vortex!

Vortex won me over years ago when they fixed that guy's broken Bushnell scope after Bushnell strung the guy along. Anyone remember that? Vortex gets first dibs on my money when I'm looking for something.

On a final note, I wonder if Scott iswatching this forum?

EuroOptic has always been outstanding to me, and their pricing on Vortex is pretty good with a PRS membership.

This. They are awesome.

CameraLandNY has pretty good deals...

You mean the guy that vouched for Scott yesterday in this thread and acted like this wasn't true? I wouldn't have bought a thing from them even before this. They're not shooters and I wouldn't be surprised if they're not even gun people, they're salemen. There's better outfits to deal with.

Nobody’s prices touched Scott’s unfortunately.

That's because he was operating on profit margins of a few bucks. This is what happens to those businesses time and time again and people get fucked. Yeah you may be getting a great deal by not shopping at vendors that actually have overhead and have skin in the game, but you're not getting a great deal when they close up shop overnight and take your money.

It's worth spending the money to buy from a reputable dealer. It's really worth buying from a reputable dealer that actually has the inventory and will ship it vs charging your card and delivery taking longer than a CC chargeback allows. When I order something from Euro Optic that isn't in stock they place the order and I'm not billed until it's ready to ship to me. Thats how it should be done.

Without dog piling on the severely negative aspect of this post, we will also do our best to help those including Vortex who have been burned in this situation if we can - Richard@CST

This. They are awesome.

You mean the guy that vouched for Scott yesterday in this thread and acted like this wasn't true? I wouldn't have bought a thing from them even before this. They're not shooters and I wouldn't be surprised if they're not even gun people, they're salemen. There's better outfits to deal with.

There's lots of great outfits on the 'hide.

Eurooptic, Mile High, CS Tactical etc. This place is supported by great people.

If people are looking for great deals on optics, CameraLandNY seems to have frequent deals and great prices, which is why I brought them up. I've had great experiences with them, as well as the vendors I mention above.

I think this whole debacle with Liberty has caught a lot of people off guard. With limited information as to what's going on, I don't blame some for initially reserving judgement.

Personally I was pretty shocked to hear this situation, and my initial reaction was to withhold judgement before more information came to light. Based on my interaction with Scott and others from the 'Hide, I didn't want to believe that people got scammed. But with more and more information coming to light, it's looking more and more like that's the case.

Anyways, I don't see anything that CamerLandNY posted that's worth pulling out the pitchforks for. Where you choose to spend your money is your business - and thankfully there's a few great supporters on the 'Hide that are worthy of yours and others business.

This. They are awesome.

While I appreciate what you've brought to this thread, I call bs on attacking Doug and CameraLandNY. I've dealt with him - and I dealt with Scott. As of 48 hours ago, I would have vouched for Scott. I'll still vouch for Doug and CameraLand.

That's because he was operating on profit margins of a few bucks. This is what happens to those businesses time and time again and people get fucked. Yeah you may be getting a great deal by not shopping at vendors that actually have overhead and have skin in the game, but you're not getting a great deal when they close up shop overnight and take your money.

It's worth spending the money to buy from a reputable dealer. It's really worth buying from a reputable dealer that actually has the inventory and will ship it vs charging your card and delivery taking longer than a CC chargeback allows. When I order something from Euro Optic that isn't in stock they place the order and I'm not billed until it's ready to ship to me. Thats how it should be done.

Everyone knows why he was able to give those deals and they were ok with the wait to save money. Until a couple days ago Scott was more than reputable, no one that’s been around here thought there was a chance they weren’t getting what they paid for when placing an order. No one saw this coming.

Just for info, the Liberty Optics July 4th sale price was within a couple percent of the LE/mil/vet sale price that Euro Optic was running about the same time, and a few times a year expert voice has comparable pricing as well... So it's not like the pricing was substantially different than what is available at other vendors, provided you meet the criteria at the other vendors who offered that level of discount.

The difference with Scott's sale prices was that they were available to everyone and not just LE/mil/veteran/first responder.

Of course, provided you actually received your order...

I'm still finding it difficult to reconcile that the Scott I've bought $75k+ of optics from over 20ish years, who called me on the weekends to see if everything was OK with the stuff I just received or just to chat, and in his early days loaned me a replacement scope out of his small inventory at no charge to get me up and running for a hunt when I was having issues getting a broken scope fixed by the manufacturer in a timely manner (and hassled the manufacturer on my behalf to get them to fix it under warranty and not charge me for an obvious defect) could be the same Scott that would do everyone dirty like this.

It's just hard to accept, even if it turns out to be the truth.

This. They are awesome.

Lol. Liberty Optics “had” a great reputation spanning 20 something odd years so getting butt hurt because another dealer defended them initially is f’n lame. And are you sure Doug isn’t a shooter? Not really sure why that’s even a thing.

Reactions: DIBBS and lash
Wtf. I have ordered several optics from him without issue. This is crazy.

Also how would WE not think she’s a reputable dealer when he’s all over the hide and having one of the larger optics thread?

We seem to buy from people who interact with us.

He did me well multiple times and I received a Gen III from him a few months ago.

Wow POS.

Reactions: kthomas
This. They are awesome.

That's uncalled for. I respect Doug for standing up for a competitor. I bought from both Scott and Doug and would be equally surprised if one of them just vanished like this. As much as this does look like a planned act by Scott, which is very disappointing if true, let's find out what actually happened first. He could be incapacitated or dead and someone else is cleaning out the coffers in his absence.

Everyone knows why he was able to give those deals and they were ok with the wait to save money. Until a couple days ago Scott was more than reputable, no one that’s been around here thought there was a chance they weren’t getting what they paid for when placing an order. No one saw this coming.

Ohh yeah? Anyone with a brain should be able to see the risk involved with dealing with a business like that. I haven't dealt with Scott since before 2010 when a deal on a Premier Heritage got fucky.

This isn't the first time something similar has happened. I2/Pete Lesbo wasn't that long ago either. Also a little one man show.

Even if a business like this is totally successful and ethical and never runs into financial issues the owner can drop dead from a heart attack, get killed in a car accident, or blow their brains out and anyone who has paid them and not received goods or services is left standing in line with their hand out along with family members that want money and don't want to deal with wrapping up the business, and anyone else they owe money to. Larger outfits generally have protections built in for this and there's also more laws to protect consumers vs an LLC that protects the business owner.

But yes, Scott was reputable until he wasn't.

That's uncalled for. I respect Doug for standing up for a competitor. I bought from both Scott and Doug and would be equally surprised if one of them just vanished like this. As much as this does look like a planned act by Scott, which is very disappointing if true, let's find out what actually happened first. He could be incapacitated or dead and someone else is cleaning out the coffers in his absence.
How are you still holding out hope that Scott didn’t just plan on ripping off a bunch of people with all the information out there now?

Attachments

• IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 101
This. They are awesome.

That's a little unfair. What would be your immediate response if some one you really trusted was accused of something like this? I think you’d find it hard to believe, and you wouldn’t immediately think the worst. Scott is Doug’s competitor, the fact he didn't go for the pitchfork first is admirable, even if it appears now that Scott is a super douche. I expect we’ll hear from Doug pretty soon to say as much.

I have zero connection to either of them, thats just how I see it.

I once got ripped off in an eBay deal. I live in MN, the buyer was in Florida. Made some phone calls to the local police down there. Left two messages. Nada.

Then I wrote a polite PAPER letter on some of my own letterhead. Nice and formal-looking. I just calmly stated the facts, mentioned my previous unanswered messages, and asked if they might look into it? Sent it certified mail, signature required.

Got a call back immediately from a detective. The address was literally across the street from the police station lol. The fellow was quite friendly and it was a pleasant conversation. He said he’d pop over there asap.

Had my lost money back in a day or two.

P.S. I would advise you to NOT use company letterhead if you do not own the company. People look rather dimly upon that (your CEO on down will too).

Last edited:

You're welcome to think what you want, but I didn't say anything that wasn't accurate. I've always called things as I saw them and never cared who didn't like it, I'm certainly not going to make an exception for you.

If he's dead or incapacitated who would have deleted his long running thread in the for sale section or would have known to do that, from his login? Coincidentally on the day that the business was terminated with the state. Why would they shut off and not answer the phone and at least give his customers an update that they're working on it? Why would Vortex be involved?

Morning Gents,
My biggest priority right now is making sure all the customers are looked after. ( As of a few mins ago, i have responded to everyone via email.)
I am also going to do all i can for those who can't get their money back. My goal is that no one feels they lost in the end.
Please reach out if i can help.
Shamus Terry
[email protected]
God I love Vortex.

Ohh yeah? Anyone with a brain should be able to see the risk involved with dealing with a business like that. I haven't dealt with Scott since before 2010 when a deal on a Premier Heritage got fucky.

This isn't the first time something similar has happened. I2/Pete Lesbo wasn't that long ago either. Also a little one man show.

Even if a business like this is totally successful and ethical and never runs into financial issues the owner can drop dead from a heart attack, get killed in a car accident, or blow their brains out and anyone who has paid them and not received goods or services is left standing in line with their hand out along with family members that want money and don't want to deal with wrapping up the business, and anyone else they owe money to. Larger outfits generally have protections built in for this and there's also more laws to protect consumers vs an LLC that protects the business owner.

But yes, Scott was reputable until he wasn't.

I never said there weren’t risks, any of those things could happen but the likelihood was low. Before this I would’ve believed he dropped dead before intentionally screwing anyone and I think most people here that have dealt with him would agree.

I’m not out any money but I very well could’ve been because I trusted Scott like a large number of members did.

Reactions: DIBBS and lash
That's a little unfair. What would be your immediate response if some one you really trusted was accused of something like this? I think you’d find it hard to believe, and you wouldn’t immediately think the worst. Scott is Doug’s competitor, the fact he didn't go for the pitchfork first is admirable, even if it appears now that Scott is a super douche. I expect we’ll hear from Doug pretty soon to say as much.

I have zero connection to either of them, thats just how I see it.

A shit bird is a shit bird. I don't care if they're my buddy or not, if there's clear evidence of wrong doing I'm not going to stand by them. They may be competitiors but IIRC they used to do a shot show thing together along with Iyla Koshkin and appeared to be buddies but I could be totally mistaken. I'm not saying anyone else is guilty by association because they probably had no knowledge of anything happening, but the best thing in a situation like this is where people have clearly gotten fucked isn't to run to their defense.