• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Light primer strikes

shaneinhisroom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2011
Ohio
I have a Remington 700 5R .223 I just acquired a few weeks ago. I've gotten 1 or 2 light primer strikes out of about 100 rounds of normal 55gr and 69gr match ammo, but I have about 50% light primer strikes using Southwest Ammunition's 55gr subsonics.

What could be the problem? Is it bolt related or trigger related?

Do you have a way of measuring your brass? A head space gauge set? I would start with comparing the unfired cases to the standard SAMI specs then to your fired cases and see how much growth you are seeing. Even compare the unfired of each brand. I would start there before suspecting the rifle. If things are good to go with the brass I would check the firing pin protrusion to see if it is short.

Had the issue in my 700 VSF and Black Hills Match .308. Had just installed a Timney trigger. Ended up installing a long sear in the trigger, problem gone. Compared it to another VSF and noticed the rear of the firing pin did not protrude out of the shroud when cocked like the other rifle did. With the long sear, problem gone.

image290.jpg

image289.jpg

image260.jpg

image291.jpg

We just went through major light strike headaches with department 700's after we switched from GMM to Hornady TAP.

Two new LTR's haven't had problems while two older 700P's were getting 10-20% FTF's. We ultimately put extra power FP springs in everything and have had no more problems.

Is the rifle brand new or just new to you? If new to you is it possible to find out any history on the rifle? Round count or any upgrades by the previous owner? Possibly even a bolt change or firing pin change?

It's new to me, it's only got about 200 rounds down the tube. It does have a Timney 517 in it that was recently tuned by my gunsmith so I will see if we need to drop a new sear in it. I have yet to measure the cases though (I'm on business out of town) but will do that when I get home. It's just weird it happens a lot more with subsonics, which I presume is loaded quite a bit shorter. Still should set the primer off though...

Light primer strikes

Timney states on their website that when the 517 is used on the Rem 700 SPS Varmint it requires a longer sear. I would assume your rifle requires it as well.

Yea, long sear is likely gonna be the answer here. Email Tinney and they'll take care of you. You'll probably get a Blowpop out of it!
+1. This happened to me a couple of years ago. I had the sear 3 days after emailing them.