• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lighter Hunting Rifle -- Who makes the best?

Darkphage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Orem, Utah
I am primarily a tactical shooter, but am currently looking for a much lighter rifle for some pack-in hunting in Colorado. Most tac set-ups are just too heavy for the pack-in, as I am the mule.

Thoughts on which manufacturer makes the best out of the box light weight hunting rifles? I like Remington a lot, but am considering a .270 WSM as the caliber. Or possibly a 7mm WSM. -- decisions

Input appreciated,

Dark

Re: Lighter Hunting Rifle -- Who makes the best?

GAP?

Non typical or Rock

Christensen Arms makes a nice one,carbon fiber bbl built on a remmy action.Basic hunter is around $1600.Think Sako makes a lighter one too

GAP is the obvious choice -- on a tighter budget ATM.

Heard both good and bad about Christensen arms, never owned one so don't know what to think.

Dark

We got a Tikka T3 Lite in Blued/Black. Unused and unfired but it is slightly end heavy, and the stock could be a tad better but is still very nice.

Putting a better stock and a scope to adjust the balance more toward the centre where the action is would make it almost perfect. Very light and easy to point.

The Sako 75 or 85 Finnlight is hard to beat for a straight out of the box production lightweight hunting rifle. All stainless steel, accurate and light. But there are other good ones too. Depends on how much you want to spend and how light you mean by lightweight.

NULA is the king of lightweight rifles. There were some issues with the rifles after a brief sale of his company to Colt. Melvin bought back his company from Colt and has not had issue one since. Melvins rifles are no joke, and you will not be disappointed in his wares.

I've heard good things about the Kimber...Montana I believe is the model.

My buddy has a stock remmy sps 30-06 in Stainless thats light a accurate enough. Around 1.5 MOA out to 300 with cheapo winchester soft tip hunting ammo.

Anyone have good or bad to say about Browning?

They have some nice looking rifles, but just don't hear much about them.

Dark

I have a couple of Browning bolt actions. An A-bolt medallion in 300wm and an A-bolt composite stalker in .325wsm. Great rifles with smooth, solid actions and very accurate. Took a buck at 465 a couple of years ago with the 300. The 325 composite stalker is more compact and lighter but just as deadly. It's my favorite hunting rifle.

The LTR is pretty light.
T/C's ICON is a really accurate gun.
I believe they use a 5R barrel.
They are tack drivers.

NULA, GAP, APA, etc.

If you are going to spend the money for a Christenson Arms rifle there are far better choices with much less bullshit.

A NULA is not an out of the box rifle. And you can put me down as a person who would never buy another one. And a person who was deeply disappointed in his product.

However the OP said he was looking for an "out of the box" rifle.

I would suggest the Kimber Montana. If you shop you can find one for around $900. A local Kimber dealer about one year ago had a 308 that he told me he could sell for $850. That is a decent price for an "out of the box" rifle.

I think I paid $940 for my LongMaster Classic in 223.

I also think you can buy on of the new Winchester FW's. But I believe the Kimber is lighter. Tom.

I will add the Tikka T3 Lite in your choice of caliber as well. It really is a great gun for the money, smooth action, good trigger, accurate and most important for the application you listed, lite.

Certainly not out of the box, but here's a candidate for "the best".

http://www.jarrettrifles.com/windwalker.html

It's just over 7lbs, and the action, barrel, and stock are all made in-house. At just over $7k it damn well should be. In Jarrett's defense he does offer a 30 day, no questions asked refund.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple of Browning bolt actions. An A-bolt medallion in 300wm and an A-bolt composite stalker in .325wsm. Great rifles with smooth, solid actions and very accurate. Took a buck at 465 a couple of years ago with the 300. The 325 composite stalker is more compact and lighter but just as deadly. It's my favorite hunting rifle. </div></div>

+1. i have an a-bolt synthetic stalker in 325wsm. its about as light as your gonna find. idk the exact weight but its not much

There are a lot of good makers. I would stay away from Christenson Arms. My buddy had one and it was a real piece of crap. I would rather have an SPS any day.

+1 If you are going to spend the money for a Christenson Arms rifle there are far better choices with much less bullshit.

I had a browning A-bolt medallion 30-06 it was abso;utely the worst gun I ever owned or shot in my entire life. Would not group at all. Even a couple of my buddies who are ex-army snipers could'nt do anything with it either. Took it to two different smiths making sure everything was sound, one of them told me short of rebarreling it was'nt going to be any better. Got rid of it and good riddance too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP?

Non typical or Rock </div></div>

Thats what I did....twice. No regrets, .308 and a .260 both under 8 pounds and both are hammers. Good call right there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovain1932</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a browning A-bolt medallion 30-06 it was abso;utely the worst gun I ever owned or shot in my entire life. Would not group at all. Even a couple of my buddies who are ex-army snipers could'nt do anything with it either. Took it to two different smiths making sure everything was sound, one of them told me short of rebarreling it was'nt going to be any better. Got rid of it and good riddance too </div></div>

Brother, what you had was a lemon.

Another vote to the Tikka t-3 lite. Mine is in .243 and have owned it for probably 6 to 7 years now. The only factory rifle I own. It shoots great (under 1moa easy), lite with rings 6.3 pounds, and nice trigger. For the money, great lite rig.

Good Luck,
JamieD

Not a great friend of factory rifles for hunting, don't think they have the reliability that is needed.
Had my rifle made by roedale, based on an old sako action. Fitted with a Lothar Walther 1450 22" barrel which seems a good compromise between weight and accuracy. Saved some weight on the stock and used one of our carbon stocks at 700 grams.
Shot about 60 deer with this setup now and am convinced it is much more reliable than the remmy and tikka factory rifles I use for shooting fox and vermin.
edi

So what seems to fail on these factory rifles? I hunt with customs as well, but my old 700bdl put down over 100 deer pretty reliably.

The Kimber 8400 Montana comes in 270WSM and is only 6 lbs. 9oz. With Some lightweight talley mounts and an ultralight leupold scope it should come in well under 7.5 lbs. Also if you want to stick with Remington you can find Remington 700 Alasakn Ti "sub MOA" clones on gunbroker in 270WSM or actual factory Alaskan Ti's in 270win which are both under 7 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a great friend of factory rifles for hunting, don't think they have the reliability that is needed.
Had my rifle made by roedale, based on an old sako action. Fitted with a Lothar Walther 1450 22" barrel which seems a good compromise between weight and accuracy. Saved some weight on the stock and used one of our carbon stocks at 700 grams.
Shot about 60 deer with this setup now and am convinced it is much more reliable than the remmy and tikka factory rifles I use for shooting fox and vermin.
edi </div></div>
Really, so the literaly millons of folks that use factory rifle to harvest millions of deer, and other assorted medium, large and small game have just been lucky?
Like the fellow at the range today, next to me with a 40 year old model 700 that he inherited from his father, that has killed deer every year for the past 40 years?

A custom is nice, there is certainly pride in ownership, but to say a Model 700, Model 7, Tikka, winchester, savage or what have you is almost certain to fail? I think you might be overstating things a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kokako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sako 85 Finnlight

www.sako.fi
</div></div>
The Sako also gets my vote. You could probably save a few hundred by getting a Kimber Montana, but I would still get the Sako. I wouldn't take an A-bolt if it was free.

lots of yappin but not any pics of light rifles and deer....why is that?

CSC_3320.jpg

DSC_3492-1.jpg

same rifle....243....different stock.

DSC_1218.jpg

same shit with a woman driving....

DSC_3150.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a great friend of factory rifles for hunting, don't think they have the reliability that is needed.
edi </div></div>
Really, so the literaly millons of folks that use factory rifle to harvest millions of deer, and other assorted medium, large and small game have just been lucky?
Like the fellow at the range today, next to me with a 40 year old model 700 that he inherited from his father, that has killed deer every year for the past 40 years?

A custom is nice, there is certainly pride in ownership, but to say a Model 700, Model 7, Tikka, winchester, savage or what have you is almost certain to fail? I think you might be overstating things a bit. </div></div>
Obviously it depends on the terrain too, under 100yds it is not so critical especially on body shots.One thing is for sure, a light barreled hunting rifle with a cheap plastic stock as it comes out the box is not up to consistent accuracy under hunting situations. When the shooting postion varies, pressure on the barrel varies. On the bench these rifles might shoot under an inch but not in the field. I know of all the deer shot with all sorts of kit, but keep in mind how many deer run away wounded that no one owes up too.
I prefer a reliably accurate rifle because, we sometimes shoot at slightly longer ranges around 400 yds. We very often have to head or neck shoot because high grass covers the body. Often shoot close to roads/house and don't want any runners dying in a tree huggers garden.

Another point, how much fuss do we make about building or setting up a 300yd target rifle, which is only for paper. For deer at the same range a quick run to Wal-mart is good enough?

By the way I also inherited a 40 year old sako in 308, which had belonged to a PH in South Africa.
This rifle had shot over 1000 kudu and I'm sure wounded half as much. On one occasion my father tracked one of his runners and put it down with his mauser pistol. When I got the rifle it wouldn't hit a frying pan.

edi

calicon8-10007.jpg

GAP Non Typicals....260 in black, .308 in green. 7.5 pounders.

bearhunt2010035.jpg

May 2010, Montana. The black rifle will be crushing deer and antelope maybe even a bull elk in about 2 months.

Brad whats up with that blue tape?...........grin!

Pat, You can only shoot one of those at a time and I don't have one so....
grin.gif

Sorry Jamie, those two are staying with me...in fact I'm kicking around the idea of a 7/08...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

CSC_3320.jpg

</div></div>

I've seen that rifle, It's a shooter (except when a big ass bobcat steps out!)

That Tikka T3 Lite for $525 out of the box sounds like a decent deal. At that price you could add some nice goodies to the package...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

CSC_3320.jpg

</div></div>

I've seen that rifle, It's a shooter (except when a big ass bobcat steps out!) </div></div>

We need a rest of the story on that one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lots of yappin but not any pics of light rifles and deer....why is that?</div></div>

Oh, OK...

IMG_3068.jpg

Tikka T3 Lite .270 Win. 7.8 lbs field ready and under $700 total cost for the rig. Hard to beat, bang for buck. Oops, no pun intended.
grin.gif

Oh... and I passed it on to my son.

muledeer4.jpg

Boy, do I regret THAT move.
grin.gif

John

I shoot a Tikka T3 Lite as well for my hunting rifle. Shoots Sub-Moa all day long too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

We need a rest of the story on that one!</div></div>

I'll just say this: After shooting at long range with my hunting rifle, I'll always remember to double check that I ran my turret back to zero
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry Jamie, those two are staying with me...in fact I'm kicking around the idea of a 7/08........... </div></div>

I know someone that has one
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a great friend of factory rifles for hunting, don't think they have the reliability that is needed.
edi </div></div>

A custom is nice, there is certainly pride in ownership, but to say a Model 700, Model 7, Tikka, winchester, savage or what have you is almost certain to fail? I think you might be overstating things a bit. </div></div>
Obviously it depends on the terrain too, under 100yds it is not so critical especially on body shots.One thing is for sure, a light barreled hunting rifle with a cheap plastic stock as it comes out the box is not up to consistent accuracy under hunting situations. When the shooting postion varies, pressure on the barrel varies. On the bench these rifles might shoot under an inch but not in the field. I know of all the deer shot with all sorts of kit, but keep in mind how many deer run away wounded that no one owes up too.
I prefer a reliably accurate rifle because, we sometimes shoot at slightly longer ranges around 400 yds. We very often have to head or neck shoot because high grass covers the body. Often shoot close to roads/house and don't want any runners dying in a tree huggers garden.

Another point, how much fuss do we make about building or setting up a 300yd target rifle, which is only for paper. For deer at the same range a quick run to Wal-mart is good enough?

By the way I also inherited a 40 year old sako in 308, which had belonged to a PH in South Africa.
This rifle had shot over 1000 kudu and I'm sure wounded half as much. On one occasion my father tracked one of his runners and put it down with his mauser pistol. When I got the rifle it wouldn't hit a frying pan.

edi </div></div>

Edi I'm going to have to dissagree with you here. Hunters here where I live deal with some of the toughest terrain and conditions in the world, and of all the hunters I know, including professional guides, only one of them uses a custom-built rifle. I myself fall back on a Ruger 77 in .35 whelen and a Tikka M695 in .338wm when the season comes around. Both are light and handy and get the job done very well indeed when push comes to shove in the Alaskan bush.

And I'm confused how we got from "lightest hunting rifle" to "I have a 40 year old, abused Sako that won't hit anything anymore, so there." Seems like a bit of a jump. Of course your old Sako won't shoot well anymore after all the use it's had. Are you trying to tell me that a custom rig put through the same conditions will fare better? I think not.

My boys 10pt 3 years ago. Pencil barrel AR. 75 yrds.
Sorry couldn't resist.

2243192870048605402S425x425Q85.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lots of yappin but not any pics of light rifles and deer....why is that?

CSC_3320.jpg

DSC_3492-1.jpg

same rifle....243....different stock.

DSC_1218.jpg

same shit with a woman driving....

DSC_3150.jpg

</div></div>

Did I miss the part where someone said what make/model of rifle that was?

For me, I'm also planning a lightweight hunter. It won't be ultra-light . . . A Tikka t3 300wsm, Zeiss Conquest 4-14, and a Manners MCS T4 stock . . .Comments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utnapishtim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Did I miss the part where someone said what make/model of rifle that was?

</div></div>

It is a R700 stainless in 243. He dropped it into a McMillan.