• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest high quality rifle possible

Spent round

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2013
Western nebraska
With quality comes weight.why.....is it possible to build a very accurate rifle in 308 less than 7 lbs with night force optics and a bypod.please give schematics for such a lightweight.price is relative to this project would like to be under 4 grand including optics.

Depends on you definition of quality, there many great ultra light rifles that shoot well from a cold bore. If you want the lightest heavy profiled barreled rifle, I would think 700, skeletonized/ fluted bolt/ 18" fluted light varmint barrel and the lightest stock and scope you can find. No reason it would not shoot well and come in around 10 pounds or less scoped.

Ok less than 7lb, NF Optic (model?),bipod and under $4k...I'm not sure what kind of accuracy criteria you are expecting but might look at: Weatherby Mark-V Ultra Light (.308) 5.75lb MSRP $2,100..I can think of several custom guns but they will be more than $4k without NF scope!

Rifle: 5.75lb ($2,000) maybe little less?
NF 2.5-10x42: 1.28 lb ($1,745ish)
Harris 9-13" S-LM Bipod: .875 lb ($100)
Total= 7.905lb Total price= $3,845 *add rings/base and a sling and your a little over 8lb, no ammo)

Talley rings and base are around $45, don't weigh very much, so depending on what kind of deal you can get on all of the above you should be couple hundred buck under your $4k and have a very nice LW Rifle in my opinion! Another option is some collapsible LW shooting sticks instead of the bipod, just a thought :)
Hope this helps.

That sounds pretty good and thourogh .I was thinking piece together Kreiger,remington action,not sure on trigger maybe timney,or maybe Swarovski z3 they are extremely light.what can I do with the bolt to lighten it up.and on a side note what about a muzzle brake,that light of a rifle might need one.20 in barrel.75 in ....I wish these people what give weights it's real hard to put together without dimensions.

That sounds pretty good and thourogh .I was thinking piece together Kreiger,remington action,not sure on trigger maybe timney,or maybe Swarovski z3 they are extremely light.what can I do with the bolt to lighten it up.and on a side note what about a muzzle brake,that light of a rifle might need one.20 in barrel.75 in ....I wish these people what give weights it's real hard to put together without dimensions.

If your willing to take the time to get the seperate components together then that's a whole other approach. Not bad, just a different way than I thought you were after from your original post. I realize everyone has their own preference as far as brands of actions, barrels, trigger etc..etc.. But here would be my plan for a LW build, maybe spaced out over a year or little less to help ease the initial sticker shock of a full custom!

Wild Call Custom Rifles "Drop Tine" Action and bottom metal
22" #3 Fluted Kreiger, Bartlein, or Hart (with Vais Brake)
Timney Trigger
Manners MCS-SL or McMillian Hunters Edge stock

I am personally going with the new NF 2.5-10x42 for my .300WM(similar build) but there are tons of good options for this type "LW Hunter" rifle. Again this is just my OPINION of the major components for the build, ask ten other people and you might get ten different suggestions, and odds are if their from SH then its probably sound advice!

Model 7 action
20" #5 taper barrel flutted
McMillan Edge HTG
Leupold 3.5-10 MK4
Aluminum MK4 rings
Rem aluminum floor metal
TIS Slip Cuff Quick Release sling but a custom light weigh multicam version
GGxG picatnny rail bipod

Really light

Are you looking for accurate single shot hunting rifle or a tactical rifle? There is a big difference when you start talking about repeated shots as the barrel becomes warm and different environmental conditions. For a hunting rifle that you are only taking one shot most all will do well...Rem, Savage, Browning, FN, and on and on depending on how much you want to spend. Tactical well about the lightest I would go for a barrel is the Savage tactical barrels.

If You are talking a hunting rifle. My $ .02; I've got a Weatherby Ultra Light Weight in .280 Rem. With steel rings/bases a 2.5-8 X Leupold, 1" nylon sling, and three 150 gr rds it weighs 6 pounds 15 ounces on a Postal scale. NO denying.It is a JOY to cart up and down the mountains. For whatever reason; All the planets aligned, my good deeds have finally gotten noticed...no idea...But this thing has shot well from day one. !/2 MOA gun out to 200 yds for four shots. I've never shot it more than once , EVER on probably half a dozen elk and 8 or 10 deer deer. Hunting accurate to 388 yds so far.

I'd take a look at the Wby, Ultra Lt Weights for sure. A really LIGHT hunting rifle DOES make a hunters day go easier. Especially if your climbing.

If the OP wants a rifle that is around 7lb (WITH OPTIC) then tactical style rifles are out of the question. In the 7lb range you are talking very light weight even by hunting standards. You are not going to meet that goal with #5 contour or "Savage tactical" etc....An accurate (.5-.75moa) 7lb (with optic) rifle that is still field reliable is not always the easiest or cheapest thing to get. If the OP can further define his requirements he expects out of this rifle (engagement ranges, game type, hunting only or tac competition, both? etc..) that will drive the build and in the end you can figure out a realistic overall weapon weight.

If You are talking a hunting rifle. My $ .02; I've got a Weatherby Ultra Light Weight in .280 Rem. With steel rings/bases a 2.5-8 X Leupold, 1" nylon sling, and three 150 gr rds it weighs 6 pounds 15 ounces on a Postal scale. NO denying.It is a JOY to cart up and down the mountains. For whatever reason; All the planets aligned, my good deeds have finally gotten noticed...no idea...But this thing has shot well from day one. !/2 MOA gun out to 200 yds for four shots. I've never shot it more than once , EVER on probably half a dozen elk and 8 or 10 deer deer. Hunting accurate to 388 yds so far.

I'd take a look at the Wby, Ultra Lt Weights for sure. A really LIGHT hunting rifle DOES make a hunters day go easier. Especially if your climbing.

Exactly! How much did you pay for the Wby UL?

Colster...The Weatherby story is an interesting one. I am NOT a Wby Fan. I was at a gun show and was peddling a 3rd Gen SAA I had gotten in a THREE WAY trade involving a Smith revolver I desperately wanted. I ended up trading the Colt for a NIB Wby ULW. I had my choice of calibers and simply picked the .280 Rem as I already loaded for it. My intent was to mount a scope, sight it in and sell it. When I shot it the accuracy absolutely AMAZED me. So I KEPT it. I do recall seeing them for a grand a few years back online.

I'm very happy with my set up. It's so easy to pack up and down the hills. Accurately shooting a super light rifle does take some care though compared to one weighing a few pounds more. Worth it for the convenience though in my opinion. Especially as I have gotten into my 60's. Lighter IS better.

The ULW comes with a fluted, shiny SS barrel. I hit mine with some black spray paint to deaden the glare. WHY the barrel looks strange in the digital.

Last edited:
With quality comes weight.why.....is it possible to build a very accurate rifle in 308 less than 7 lbs with night force optics and a bypod.please give schematics for such a lightweight.price is relative to this project would like to be under 4 grand including optics.

To get under 7lbs with a bipod and big optics is going to be tough to do. Stock choice would either be a McMillan Hunters Edge, Classic Edge or Mtn Rifle in Edge or the new Manners Elite Hunter maybe the EH3. You would probably need to find a used Remington Ti for the action and sell off the parts to get some money back, or pick up one of the new titanium actions from someone like Pierce Engineering maybe?? Then on the barrel you will need a pretty skinny Mtn type contour barrel cut pretty short, say 22" +/- a little. Then run Talley Lwt one piece ring/bases and it could be done. But again it would be tough on that budget.

Like someone already posted, you could also just buy a Tikka or another option and I'm not a huge fan but buy a Kimber Montana and call it good. Or for a few bucks more order a NULA, but you will be over your 4K then with options.

A much easier task would be to try and build one around 7lbs or a few ozs more. That can be done on your budget pretty easy and really you will want to build as much for the balance as for the weight. A rifle that doesn't balance can be a POS when it comes to shooting it. I've got several short action rifles that all come in right at 7lbs 4ozs which IMHO is a nice weight for a all around hunting/carry rifle.

Good luck to you though.

Last edited:
Here try this!

Bought a used Browning Sako Safari for a great price for my wife for a hunting rifle. Original barrel had a .550" muzzle at 22". New barrel is .600". Breech end on these guns is smaller than most. Was a .243 win. The bore was junk and pitted from neglect. Made a new barrel in .260 Rem. Glass bedded the stock. Installed the iron sights for back up. Rear sight is original the front sight is from NECG. You can change the blade on it real easy. With out the scope it weighs 7.5#. Gun will shoot around 1/3 moa (with handloads, never shot any factory ammo) and is consistent.

Going to be hard to get to 7# with a scope.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Colster...The Weatherby story is an interesting one. I am NOT a Wby Fan. I was at a gun show and was peddling a 3rd Gen SAA I had gotten in a THREE WAY trade involving a Smith revolver I desperately wanted. I ended up trading the Colt for a NIB Wby ULW. I had my choice of calibers and simply picked the .280 Rem as I already loaded for it. My intent was to mount a scope, sight it in and sell it. When I shot it the accuracy absolutely AMAZED me. So I KEPT it. I do recall seeing them for a grand a few years back online.

I'm very happy with my set up. It's so easy to pack up and down the hills. Accurately shooting a super light rifle does take some care though compared to one weighing a few pounds more. Worth it for the convenience though in my opinion. Especially as I have gotten into my 60's. Lighter IS better.

The ULW comes with a fluted, shiny SS barrel. I hit mine with some black spray paint to deaden the glare. WHY the barrel looks strange in the digital.

Glad to see a fellow MT guy with a successful LW rifle, I am not a big WBY guy either but if it works, well it works! Hard to argue with results like that all while keeping the price very reasonable. I have a WinM70 action in 7mmRM that I want to get rebarreled in .300WM #3or4 fluted Krieger or Bartlein and McMillian LW stock. Shooting for around 8 to 9lb with NF Optic.

Here is my humble opinion: getting a hunting rifle with optics and bipod under that magic 7 lb. mark (loaded with sling) is a lot like the seasoned backpacker trying to get his 1 week kit under 35 lbs. I've done both with many different variations but the common theme is that you really have to sacrifice features that are really nice to have. Adjustable stocks, DBM with mags, muzzle brakes that tame the recoil and allow you to spot your hit/miss, etc. all add up. Most often you find that getting a weapon system (rifle, optic, ammo, sling) from 10 lbs to 8 lbs costs about $300 to $500.....but to go from 8 lbs to 6 lbs costs more like $1500 to $2500; as you have to invest in Titanium actions, Kevlar stocks, lots of extra machine work to flute barrels and remove unnecessary metal weight. Just as ultralight backpackers find that getting a week long backpacking kit from 50 lbs to 40 lbs costs about $400 as you invest in titanium cooking gear, lightweight tent with aluminum poles, etc. But to then get that same kit from 40 lbs to 35 lbs is more like $1500; as you have to buy a down sleeping bag, carbon fiber tent poles, 3/4 length sleeping pads,....you get the picture. If money is not a limiting factor and you can do without a lot of cool features a true ultralight hunting rifle like the Kifaru Rambling rifle, or the Boswell made carbon fiber customs like Jason Hairston from Kuiu hunts with are true no nonsense weapon systems. but then again you are forced to have a bare feature-less rifle.

At some point shedding weight from a hunting rifle becomes an exercise of diminishing returns and exponential costs....with that last 1 lb costing the most. I've gone down that route and at some point had to examine what my goals were and see if the weight could be cut elsewhere....like in the daypack or on my waist-line, or simply training harder and getting in better shape.

Just my two cents.

John

I'm not to sure that "adjustable stocks and DBM with Mags" are features that most want in a LW hunting rifle? Both those introduce weight and are not needed at all in a hunting rifle, the 7 to 8lb (ready to shoot) yet still accurate, mark is realistic and attainable without breaking the bank. I think "FN in MT" has achieved better than this goal with his factory WBY, if a guy wants to go the custom route that allows him personal preferences and performance but it's going to cost him.

Here try this!

Bought a used Browning Sako Safari for a great price for my wife for a hunting rifle. Original barrel had a .550" muzzle at 22". New barrel is .600". Breech end on these guns is smaller than most. Was a .243 win. The bore was junk and pitted from neglect. Made a new barrel in .260 Rem. Glass bedded the stock. Installed the iron sights for back up. Rear sight is original the front sight is from NECG. You can change the blade on it real easy. With out the scope it weighs 7.5#. Gun will shoot around 1/3 moa (with handloads, never shot any factory ammo) and is consistent.

Going to be hard to get to 7# with a scope.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Did you use the original stock?

I couldn't think of the name...FORBES!! A buddy in PA has one of their really light models in .260 rem. It's in the 6 pound area WITH a Leupold compact scope.

Another option thats low cost, but there are some compromises. I bought my wife a Youth model M-70 in 7mm-08. It's fairly light, shoots well, 20" barrel, wood stock. I had my smith add 1/2" of spacer and a 1" recoil pad for her. It's really a workable/competant Lt Wt hunting rifle. Hardly ULTRA lt wt, but certainly not 9 pounds either.

If you've never shot a 'LIGHT' rifle, go see how you do with a borrowed on, on the bench - And off, good posts above, but as weight drops significantly, so can shootability, and recoil goes up, I'd not want a rifle 'as light as possible' .....personally never owned a 'skinny' bbl rifle that shot to my expectations. Good luck.

If I were trying to go under 7, the last thing I would do is stick a NF up top and hang a bipod off the front.

Balance is more important than weight, and neither of those things would contribute one bit to a balanced hunting rifle.

Kimber 84M Montana

IMG_20130809_091412.jpg

Last edited:

I recently did a considerable amount of research on this. I didn't give any consideration for a bipod but here is what I determined for the rest of the stuff. The weight can vary a few ounces based on personal preference. These are approximate, but very close, weights based on the stuff I like.

Action -------- 28oz
Barrel -------- 36oz
Stock --------- 24oz
Trigger, floorplate, magazine, scope mounts --------- 16oz
Scope -------- 21oz

Total 125 ounces or 7.8 lbs. You can lose about 15 ounces using a titanium action and a Leupold scope. That will put you right at the 7 lb mark without a bipod or sling. Any lighter than this and I think I would have to make some concessions to quality that I'm not willing to make.

Savage 11 Lite Hunter Action 23 oz $325
Lothar Walther Ultra-Lite Alum Sleeved varmint barrel 36oz $699
McMillan Edge Game Scout 23 oz $500
Night Force Scope 21 oz $1700
Rings 3 oz $150
Base 2 oz $100
Bipod 13 oz $100

Me personally I'd shave some weight, say another 8-10 oz by cutting the barrel to 16" and trade the 13oz bipod for DBM and a 10 round mag and shoot off a pack or ditty bag and might be under 7 lbs less ammo.

121 oz 7.5lbs $3575

Last edited:
Try a Blaser R93 Proffesional (Safari stock that will take all barrel profiles). It has the lightest action of all. It does not have one..

A special feature of the R93 is that if you compare it to conventional rifles, with the same total length from muzzle to butt, the R93 barrel is 3" longer.

The Blasers I've seen have all got exellent accuracy.

Gunsmiths hate them because the shooter can do all work on them themselves. Barrelchange in 90 seconds..

Langholdsfilmen blog 25: En bedre Blaser - YouTube

Last edited:
A Tikka T3 Lite weighs 6 3/4 lbs. Even if they were not as cheap as they are, they would be well worth the cost. Mine is in 6.5x55. It weighs close to 8 lbs with a Weaver 3-10x40 mil/mil scope. Every now and then when I go to the range I put it on sandbags and shoot a 3 shot group. It is absolutely always less than 0.5" with my handloads. The last time I did this, it was a slightly oblong hole that I would estimate at 0.1" though I can't measure that precisely. Believe it or not the plastic stock on these rifles is very solid. It is nothing like a factory Savage or Remington stock.

If I were trying to go under 7, the last thing I would do is stick a NF up top and hang a bipod off the front.

Balance is more important than weight, and neither of those things would contribute one bit to a balanced hunting rifle.

agree 100% with that.

First off I have never heard of this "Google" thing...must be some shit you made up this morning while eating a bowl of dicks.

What I was simply asking was do YOU know of any REMINGTON BRAND Ti actions for sale...not Pierce or a link to the Rem website. Thanks for the typical smart ass remarks though.

Pssst.... These ARE Remington's... Because this is Remington's supplier....
X-Treme Shooting - Titanium Receivers

Oh..umm my bad! So X-Treme Shooting Products made the Rem700 Alaskan Ti action? I was hoping to find a "Remington Branded" Ti action not a custom, hopefully save some money if it's a take off receiver from a a parted out Alaskan TI either used or new. I realize most custom actions are Rem700 compatible, clone, footprint, based on, etc..etc..

If they are Remington supplier for the Alaskan Ti then I guess I will hit them up to see what they have.
Sorry about the outburst, this stage in the deployment is like groundhog day..loosing my mind i guess :(

Lightest High Quality Rifle screams one rifle to me. New Ultra Light Arms by Melvin Forbes. If you want an accurate lightweight custom rifle, this is your huckleberry. Recently, the Forbes Rifle has come on the scene as a production rifle with a different barrel and maybe some other components. The Forbes Rifle is less than half the price - about 1400.

Forget about NightForce optics if you want sub 7 pounds.