• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lightweight compact backpack/mountain/truck gun help

yupitsnuge

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2013
I was hoping you knowledgeable guys could help me with this idea I have. I want to build a backpack/mountain/truck gun but I'm not so sure how to go about building it or what to use. I want it to be light, extremely compact and pack a decent punch with cheaper and readily available ammo i.e. .308, 7.62x39 or the like. I live in NY so semi is out. Either lever or bolt. I got the idea from Wild West Guns Copilot, Evan of Hill People Gears scout, and also this "precision pocket rifle"
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/9738872181_b13a1fb9e7_o.jpg
http://hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/Forums/Mauser2.JPG

I was going to build it off of a remington 700 .308 and drop it in this chassis unless you guys know of something lighter that folds.
MDT LSS Chassis system for Remington 700
Cut and thread the barrel at 14.5" and add a pinned surefire break to make it legal. Flute barrel, bolt, and whatever else I can. I was also considering chopping up my mosin nagat.
Id mainly use it for plinking steel, and some hunting. Theres nothing to shoot over 200 here locally, but I'm hooked on long range (long range to me is 300-1000) shooting and will hopefully be doing more of that in the near future. Glass is a must as my eyes are terrible. I haven't even begun to look at glass yet.

Last edited:
If weight is a factor then forget the chassis. Pick a mcmillan stock that u like and have it built with their edge technology. The Inletted stock should come In Around 1.5lbs. Use a #3 contour barrel or lighter. For a 308 you could get away with a 20in barrel without losing too much mv. Use tally ultralight rings and pick a scope around 18oz. After adding a trigger and mag box you should be damn near 7.8lbs and have a very capable light accurate compact gun.

I'll bump this thread because this is exactly what I want to do! I'm from Wyoming so legalities are not a problem for me personally, but I can't find a semi that will make my weight desires and still maintain the power and accuracy I want, so bolt gun it is for me too, I posted a similar thread a while ago, but you worded yours much better, so I'll be watching this one with interest!

A couple rifles I've seen that look awesome are a GAP Shorty that was sold here not long ago, and the Black Ops Precision BABR. I will go find that GAP's sale thread and post it in here when I get back to a computer. Also, I tried the Ruger Gunsite without success, it's bolt was so gritty and catchy that in the end I couldn't live with it.

LOVE This Thread:http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...on-rifles/76996-16-18-inch-shorty-rifles.html

Sweet Rifle: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/firearms-sale/219321-fs-gap-308-shorty.html

Last edited:
I had almost the exact same idea for a .308. My idea was that all the current semi-auto .308s are (or are at least offered with) a 16" barrel, and a bunch have the option of a 12" barrel. So why not have a 14.5" w/a pinned brake? If you're never going to shoot over 300-400 yds anyway, why not? Anything more is wasted weight, is my thinking. Of course, a braked 14.5" .308 would be really loud, I'm guessing (I think my buddy's unbraked 18.5" 30-06 is really loud, so I'm guessing the .308 would be worse). But with earpro its fine, of course.

Really, I wanted to do a ridiculously short .308 bolt action because I don't know anybody that has one. There's always that factor.

Last edited:
The 16" is the way to go... .308 Gas guns are great... but you will pickup a BUNCH of weight with one. They are just hard to keep light.

Search my postings... I have a backpack .308 folder that will NOT break the bank. Velocity loss.... you would never know if you were standing in front of it from 0-800 yards. That... and it weighs UNDER 8 pounds with scope...ammo...stock pack...sling...and bipod.

Might want to look at the 16" SPS Tact Threaded version from Remington. It is a hell of a starting point for a inexpensive rifle and a TON of options to turn it into a folder.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Im not sure what happened to my first post but here it is again…

I am hoping you knowledgeable guys can help me in searching for a lightweight compact backpack/mountain/truck gun. Im looking for it to be chambered in a decently heavy, readily available hunting caliber (308, 7.62x39, etc). Im in NY so I can't go semi. It needs to be bolt or lever. I got this idea from Evan at Hill People gear's scout http://hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/Forums/Mauser2.JPG, Wild West Guns Copilot, and this "pocket precision rifle" http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/9738872181_b13a1fb9e7_o.jpg
Im thinking of using a remington 700 action with a cut down fluted barrel. Possibly cutting it to 14.5 and pinning a break to make it 16". An ultralight stock or chassis.

Matt,
You have like 20 pages of posts bro, could ya hand us a link? Thanks much!

You could save a ton of money and get a Ruger GSR with either a 16 or 18" barrel. If you don't like the stock you can always get a Mcmillian as they make one for it now, even get flush cups.

Last edited:
You could save a ton of money and get a Ruger GSR with either a 16 or 18" barrel. If you don't like the stock you can always get a Mcmillian as they make one for it now, even get flush cups.

too run of the mill. Like Honky said, I want something unique, thats mine.

Take a look at the Steyr Forester Mountain Rifle. Got tired of hauling a hvy barrel 308 then came across the mountain rifle in 270. It's super light, has an amazing factory 2 stage trigger and a really comfortable walnut stock. Only drawback would be the lightweight barrel tends to heat up pretty bad after 5 to 6 rds. But for a light weight hunting rifle where you only need to place one or two shots - it fills the ticket.

IMG_20130809_091412.jpg

What are the details of that 4.6 pound rifle? I've done a lot of research on lightweight rifles and from the picture I would have guessed it to be about 5.25 pounds.

Here's the idea I had: Take a Tikka T3 Lite, .308 or whatever caliber you like, chop the barrel back to 14.5", where the barrel should be large enough in diameter to support 9/16x24 threads (but I don't think it will support 5/8x24, if I remember right from the old threads I looked up). Drop it in an MDT LSS chassis, use a Magpul CTR w/a cheek riser or the XLR buttstock, and either a fixed SWFA 6x or the 3-9x42. Or maybe the PST 2.5-10x32. Have the barrel and bolt fluted to shave some weight, if you like. Or go with a lighter hunting scope. You could also use a Manners hunting stock (the EH-T is the Tikka version), which would be lighter but maybe more expensive, depending on the options you pick. There's also the carbon fiber XLR, if you wanted the option of a folding stock. This is what I'd like to build for next fall, but I'll let you steal the idea if you want ;)

too run of the mill. Like Honky said, I want something unique, thats mine.

Understood, did see your post, just wanted to offer an alternative. And by the way, unless I'm missing something, Evan Hill's rifle is a Ruger GSR with a McMillan stock--as referenced in your amended post.

Understood, did see your post, just wanted to offer an alternative. And by the way, unless I'm missing something, Evan Hill's rifle is a Ruger GSR with a McMillan stock--as referenced in your amended post.

Hey Mark... Sorry I didn't mean a zing at you with my "did anyone see my original post?" My original post was literally not showing up last night and this AM, but is now. So weird! Evan Hills gun is a Mexican Mauser.

What are the details of that 4.6 pound rifle? I've done a lot of research on lightweight rifles and from the picture I would have guessed it to be about 5.25 pounds.

Yes details please!

Kimber 84M Montana action
MPISTOCKS.COM Superior Custom Rifle Stocks
It's a little unusual in caliber, 6.5 Whisper, but that wouldn't affect the weight.

Not really what your looking for.
Short, compact.
Could be trimmed a little as the mount and rings are steel.
Also a lighter forend could be used.
Possibly skeletonize the stock.
Go to something other than a varment contour barrel.
In the caliber of your choice.
I had a .338 Win Mag barrel on it at one time. It's gone now...

IMG_20131210_113952.jpg

You have some nice guns!

Not really what your looking for.
Short, compact.
Could be trimmed a little as the mount and rings are steel.
Also a lighter forend could be used.
Possibly skeletonize the stock.
Go to something other than a varment contour barrel.
In the caliber of your choice.
I had a .338 Win Mag barrel on it at one time. It's gone now...

IMG_20131210_113952.jpg

There's tons of great choices out here, I think it all depends on exactly what you want. Factors for me on getting the GSR were mainly what you were after and the biggy was out of the box. I like the sight options on these, many choices depending on what you need. For me, a lot of close shots and up to 300-350 max, which is rare where I can go. So what works for me and others for this distance, may not work for the guy out west that can stretch them out some more and with some heavier calibers(one example). Or if you have a hunting condo complete with autmated feeders, etc. No big deal "hauling" your "hunting rig" 50'.

Built a scout rifle out of a m38 moisin one time, did not care for the scope ate mid rifle. Would pick up a cheap SPSV, cut barrel to 17"(if legal where you are), and put in a choate folder.

Just my take and I think you would be happy.

I had a GSR, I don't really have anything nice to say about it, it was short and light, but the bolt was incredibly snaggy, and gritty. I would fire a round, then the bolt would require an inordinate amount of force to lift, making it impossible to run the rifle fast. it was sad because I've had good luck with other Rugers, and I love the looks of the Hill Bro's one in the Mcmillan. Have others seen this phenomenon with their GSR's?

I had a GSR and had the same issue but I knew going into it that rugers were known for binding. Mine binded badly and had a horrible trigger. The plastic trigger guard seemed cheap as well, no doubt a breaking point. Needless to say I didn't keep it long.

I just run a Rem model 7 with a 3X9 Nikon buckmaster scope. Light, accurate, dependable, and inexpensive.

I was looking to build the same thing. Its not a good pickup rifle, but I built it for precision shooting and with hunting in mind (pack gun). I was going for lightweight, compact, durability and range.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, .308, 1/10 twist.
McCree's Precision G5 8 TMAG Compact AR Folding Stock,
Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP MOA,
Badger Ordinance Max 50 Scope Rings and Scope Rail,
Harris Bipod,
MagPul CTR Buttstock with 6 position extension tube.
KRG Lift Knob Kit.

1461303_182156635319310_994617694_n.jpg
1467410_182787518589555_1774404419_n.jpg
532187_182787525256221_1556725639_n.jpg

It weighs in at 12.4 lbs, so I think I did well. It shoots like a dream and the folding mechanism is super sturdy. Just figured I'd chime in.

Also, has anyone else used one of these McRee's precision chassis?