• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

truck gun project

mpwolf

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2014
I'm contemplating a rem 700 .223 truck/utility gun build. MTD LSS chassis, .223 Wylde, 1-7" twist, 16-18", some sort of LPVO. Anyone already done this? What would you change?

I'm up north of the wall, so AR is out for me. Also, I have all the parts, except glass and barrel, so it's a pretty low effort project.

I went with 308 at 16.5". It's... a little punchy on the recoil. I did a short, high mag optic and a can. The 223 will have no issues at 16".

I'd find a Rem 700 PSS with the hogue stock, full pillar bed that thing to give it some rigidity, hook up your favorite trigger, and find the most compact optic with highest magnification you can find/afford.

Edit: if you're going mag fed, you'd have to look at inlet the stock for bottom metal. The hogue may not be the right choice

A 16" AR would be my first choice but I am also a fan of bolt actions. I really like my Rem 700 LTR in 223. Medium weight 20" barrel, a good stock, and I am currently running an old 2.5-10X Leupold mildot on it.

I also have a "budget" level rifle that actually came together pretty well. It is based on a Howa Mini Action with 20" 1:8 twist medium weight factory barrel, and a 1-6X LPVO.
20191013_191816_resize_97.jpg

I don't think I would want a chassis but I have never tried one in this role. Something along the lines of a smooth, low profile, traditional stock is what I have run.

Reactions: camocorvette
A 16" AR would be my first choice but I am also a fan of bolt actions. I really like my Rem 700 LTR in 223. Medium weight 20" barrel, a good stock, and I am currently running an old 2.5-10X Leupold mildot on it.

I also have a "budget" level rifle that actually came together pretty well. It is based on a Howa Mini Action with 20" 1:8 twist medium weight factory barrel, and a 1-6X LPVO.
View attachment 7815663

I don't think I would want a chassis but I have never tried one in this role. Something along the lines of a smooth, low profile, traditional stock is what I have run.
The chassis are nice because you can fold them(many of them anyway).

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I actually prefer an AR for a truck gun, but frankly a single shot is all I really need when popping coyotes or the occasional feral dog, etc. getting too close to the livestock.

H&R handi-rifle or similar in .223 with a fixed 4x or 2-10 works great for this purpose. Rarely get off more than one shot before they scatter anyway.

You could always open the bolt face up to the 6.5 Grendel, stick a 16.5” 1:8 twist heavy barrel on it, and use the AR 6.5 Grendel mags for that MDT chassis. Much better cartridge than .223. 👍🏼

Reactions: Biggie1976
16" 223 bolt gun would be slick. Any lever gun would also be decent.

Might want to try and find a howa 6.5 grendel. That'd be a perfect mix between 223 and 308

What is the use case? Why do you need a truck gun? Valk, 6ARC, Grendel, 6.8 spc. All offer something over the 223, except ammo availability. In a low volume shooter, I’d choose one of them over the 223. But, I have a rule against acquiring guns that can’t be easily fed. That said, I’d start with “why” and let that inform “what.”

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
What is the use case? Why do you need a truck gun? Valk, 6ARC, Grendel, 6.8 spc. All offer something over the 223, except ammo availability. In a low volume shooter, I’d choose one of them over the 223. But, I have a rule against acquiring guns that can’t be easily fed. That said, I’d start with “why” and let that inform “what.”
Myself it would be 308. I could see 22-250 or 243 if you're looking for easily fed and less recoil. 308 or 223/5.56 are the really easy fed though. Pretty much agree with a folding 16" AR in 223 but I'd go with a CLE Chamber would be a good 2nd choice.