• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight Stock Recommendation Remington 700 Footprint

Berkenen

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2022
Portland, OR
I'm looking for a change for my Curtis Valor SA build, I'm currently sitting with a KRG Bravo stock, but after hauling it around the woods I want something a little lighter that I can also bring out into the woods (albeit great for the range). Preferably something under 2lbs, and the ability to accept AICS magazines, under $1,100. I was looking into Manners, but not sure if the premium is worth it (more than welcome to take anecdotes and opinions on that too). I was thinking a Christensen FFT sporter stock, but there doesn't seem to be much out there for reviews on it, not sure if I want to take the chance with it.

While I'm at it I'm thinking of reducing my barrel (currently a Medium Palma 24" .308), to a 22" Medium Palma for 6.5 creed, would a slimmer profile be recommended? Or am I sitting at a good middle ground with the Medium Palma for range and hunting?

Many thanks

I'm looking for a change for my Curtis Valor SA build, I'm currently sitting with a KRG Bravo stock, but after hauling it around the woods I want something a little lighter that I can also bring out into the woods (albeit great for the range). Preferably something under 2lbs, and the ability to accept AICS magazines, under $1,100. I was looking into Manners, but not sure if the premium is worth it (more than welcome to take anecdotes and opinions on that too). I was thinking a Christensen FFT sporter stock, but there doesn't seem to be much out there for reviews on it, not sure if I want to take the chance with it.

While I'm at it I'm thinking of reducing my barrel (currently a Medium Palma 24" .308), to a 22" Medium Palma for 6.5 creed, would a slimmer profile be recommended? Or am I sitting at a good middle ground with the Medium Palma for range and hunting?

Many thanks

Check out AG Composits. I have one of the last M14 stocks they made and it’s very nice. They transitioned from M14 stocks to R700 stocks years ago because they needed a product that would pay the bills. I drank beer with the owners one night in Louisville, KY when the NRA convention was in town; they are good people. I don’t yet have one of their R700 footprint stocks, but it’s the first place I’ll look if my ordered Solus action turns out to be a winner.

Looks like good prices, have you used one yourself? Any experience?

Check out AG Composits. I have one of the last M14 stocks they made and it’s very nice. They transitioned from M14 stocks to R700 stocks years ago because they needed a product that would pay the bills. I drank beer with the owners one night in Louisville, KY when the NRA convention was in town; they are good people. I don’t yet have one of their R700 footprint stocks, but it’s the first place I’ll look if my ordered Solus action turns out to be a winner.

That’s a good recommendation as they come, can’t argue with that! I’ll have to email them and see what they recommend for bottom metal though, their spec sheet doesn’t seem to mention anything about compatibility- I have my AICS mags and I wanna keep using them, ahaha

Reactions: Bender and KYAggie
I have 2 Christensen Arms FFT Sporter stocks. They are great but don't accept AICS mags.

I have 2 Christensen Arms FFT Sporter stocks. They are great but don't accept AICS mags.
It should accept AICS with this:

How have you liked them? Did it require any inletting for you? Got a picture? Ahaha

Many thanks
The Christensen Arms FFT stocks are ridiculously lightweight and have stainless pillars in them. The factory Ridgeline FFT and Ridgeline rifles I have shoot amazing in the factory stocks. Just make sure to torque it to 65 inch-pounds.

Reactions: Berkenen

How have you liked them? Did it require any inletting for you? Got a picture? Ahaha
That will require inletting... I did this on one of mine, and I'm not a woodworker, and it turned out terrible. It fits, but it looks awful. It could be fixed by a competent woodworker or stock maker, but I ended up putting that rifle in a different stock anyway. Now the stock sits in the closet.

I’ve only used Manners and have nothing but great things to say about them. I know many people who have went to AG composites and are very happy with their product.

Shortening your barrel 2” but going to a smaller bore will not return much weight savings. Now changing calibers because you want to is always a great idea.

I would go 20” or a smaller profile. I like the Bartlien #4. Many chose the 3B for a crossover profile but it scares me when I have to put 10 rounds down range at a time.

Reactions: Berkenen

I have one of these. It’s my favorite sporter style stock I own. I’ll be getting another for sure. Check them out.

For me I use Mcmillan carbon game scouts and something around a Bartlein 2B at 18" or so for my hunting rigs. Finished weight around 9 pounds with scope is what I tend to go for. Hawkin bottom metal and aics mags.

MDT HNT26 is the shit. You can get the non folding for just a little over your budget if you shop around or for you budget if you buy used.

Stock is cut for BDL. No AICS bottom metal I know of will drop in a BDL cutout. It will need fit.

The stock itself is nice. Its surprisingly rigid for how light it is.

This is a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor. As seen with suppressor and optic, is 6.25lbs
20231114_172833.jpg

Other is a 22" 6 Creedmoor. Weighs right at 6.7lbs with suppressor and optic. Looks the same but a bigger scope and longer barrel.

I recently built a 22 Grinch on a Zermatt Origin action with a Krieger #5 sporter contour (very close to a Barlein #4) finished at 24" with a TBAC flash suppressor mount, and put it into a Manners EH-1 w/Hawkins DBM. With an Athlon Ares Gen 2 BTR 4-27x50 in EGW Keystone low rings, and an empty MDT 10rd 6 ARC mag, it weighs just over 10-1/2lbs. I've also got a Howa Mini with a 24" Krieger light Palma contour in 6 RAT that I used DIP DBM to get away from the junk plastic DBM that Howa ships with the Mini. I put it into a McMillan Game Scout, and with a similar Athlon scope in TPS TSR rings, it weighs 9lbs 15oz. Point I'm trying to make is that your med Palma contour is going to be heavy enough to use during sustained shooting on the range, but is going to add quite a bit of weight for carrying while hunting. I personally wouldn't really want to shorten a bbl in 6.5 CM to less than 22", because I don't want to give up that much velocity. My Krieger light Palma is .772" where it screws into the TBAC flash suppressor, and the #5 is .732" at the same spot. Before I built the Howa Mini 6 RAT, I had a CZ527 in the factory Turkish walnut stock with a Krieger #4 sporter 24" long that was quite a bit lighter and more pleasant to carry (sold it not long after building the Howa, so can't give weight). There is no free lunch - you either go with a heavier contour if sustained firing at targets is really important to you, or go with a lighter bbl if you're going to spend more time hunting. You might be surprised at how well a good quality, #3 sporter cut-rifled bbl from Bartlein or #4 Krieger will hold up accuracy-wise during range sessions...

Here's a chart with the AG Composit's weights, scroll down a bit:

Great stock recs above.

Change your barrel profile to Light Palma.