• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

like you don't know, but, parts are at critical point for AR builders

Hi,

How about we do this, in order to reduce the amount of time spent.

Post up your Type 7 license. IF you do not have one then you probably should not open your mouth or move your fingers with anything related to actual firearms manufacturing and its' business models.
View attachment 7575637

Post up your direct knowledge of the Firearms industry innerworkings. Working at the LGS doesn't count either, lol.

What Division(s) and Committee of NDIA are you a member of?
Do you have a DDTC registration?
Did you host or attend any DDTC event in the past year?
Did you host or attend any Department of Commerce event in the past year?
When is the last time you took part in industry open session meetings held by BATFE?

And for shits and giggles....line out just what I said in that previous thread that was not true!!

Sincerely,
Theis
Assuming this was directed to me. What size company are you picturing. If it's a mfg sending out $200k in product a week, then all of this is irrelevant. You can run that with an uncle that works in IT and a handful of buddies to do fulfillment. $200k a day?
Then all of this is incorrect:
12k square foot warehouse is $475k (price is right, size is not)
2. Warehouse management system (perpetual licensed program) is $20k.
3. Inventory and Fulfillment systems to account for everything from raw stock inventory all the way through production cycle(s) to the deliver truck is $350 per month.
4. Inventory insurance, lol.....That is the cheapest of all insurance a firearms manufacturer will have.
5. Staffing is roughly 45k per employee.

Last edited:
Assuming this was directed to me. What size company are you picturing. If it's a mfg sending out $200k in product a week, then all of this is irrelevant. You can run that with an uncle that works in IT and a handful of buddies to do fulfillment. $200k a day?
Then all of this is incorrect:
12k square foot warehouse is $475k (price is right, size is not)
2. Warehouse management system (perpetual licensed program) is $20k.
3. Inventory and Fulfillment systems to account for everything from raw stock inventory all the way through production cycle(s) to the deliver truck is $350 per month.
4. Inventory insurance, lol.....That is the cheapest of all insurance a firearms manufacturer will have.
5. Staffing is roughly 45k per employee.

Hi,

Thanks...Now can we get answers to the below because I think you might have overlooked those questions by accident.

Sincerely,
Theis

1615138638480.png

Its funny that you do not even know to ask what the cost of living is in my area, lol....you just seen a number and automatically compared it to your area, lol.

Its funny that you think WMS are sooo expensive yet Oracle and some of the other Tier 1 WMS are pumping out cloud based management programs that scale with company growth and they are ALL extremely affordable...as in less than 1 tombstone for milling machine.

Its funny that you think inventory insurance is more costly than the damn product liability insurance when your product is designed to set off a controlled explosion chain, lololol....My general liability policy with rider that covers ALL inventory..finished and raw goods is 1/4 of my product liability insurance cost.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: easyrhino240
Hi,

Thanks...Now can we get answers to the below because I think you might have overlooked those questions by accident.

Sincerely,
Theis

View attachment 7575677

Its funny that you do not even know to ask what the cost of living is in my area, lol....you just seen a number and automatically compared it to your area, lol.

Its funny that you think WMS are sooo expensive yet Oracle and some of the other Tier 1 WMS are pumping out cloud based management programs that scale with company growth and they are ALL extremely affordable...as in less than 1 tombstone for milling machine.

Its funny that you think inventory insurance is more costly than the damn product liability insurance when your product is designed to set off a controlled explosion chain, lololol....My general liability policy with rider that covers ALL inventory..finished and raw goods is 1/4 of my product liability insurance cost.

Sincerely,
Theis
Again, your skipping MY question - What level of revenue are you talking about?
Why are grabbing onto inventory insurance? It's one of many costs that retailers need above and beyond MFG costs, not the only one.
As to cost of living, I don't bother asking because I live in some of the lowest cost of living areas and $45K isn't getting you much in the way of marketing, fulfillment management, IT, etc

Don't read what isn't written.

Hi,

So zero experience in the firearms industry?? ✔️

So zero experience in the firearms manufacturing industry??
✔️

So zero experience in the firearms compliance industry (significantly beyond normal inventory management BTW)??
✔️

Expert on firearms industry trends, best practices and futures with zero experience??
✔️

Ask questions but never answers questions, plays the redirect card??
✔️

Catch you later, maybe at the next US Chamber of Commerce and Department of Commerce meeting to discuss future of firearms manufacturing on the International level....

Sincerely,
Theis

Is this when we start talking about the cost of an ammo plant, oil refineries, and post our w2s?
If I didn't know the OP to be a long time contributing forum member, I would've assumed this thread was created to stir the pot and start a retarded purse fight. Regardless of intentions, that's the way it has ended up.

Hi,

So zero experience in the firearms industry?? ✔️

So zero experience in the firearms manufacturing industry??
✔️

So zero experience in the firearms compliance industry (significantly beyond normal inventory management BTW)??
✔️

Expert on firearms industry trends, best practices and futures with zero experience??
✔️

Ask questions but never answers questions, plays the redirect card??
✔️

Catch you later, maybe at the next US Chamber of Commerce and Department of Commerce meeting to discuss future of firearms manufacturing on the International level....

Sincerely,
Theis
Again, making a lot of (false) assumptions. Just answer, what size company, in terms of revenue, are you referencing? It's not a hard question, not sure why you can't answer. It's foundational to the rest of the discussion.

To any and all...

What is the status/availability of the raw material used to make alot of these parts...Aluminum?
Adequate supply over the next year?

Are “we” sitting good on the availability of raw Aluminum for the manufacturing of uppers, lowers, handguards, etc...
Thanks

Reactions: FALex
Again, making a lot of (false) assumptions. Just answer, what size company, in terms of revenue, are you referencing? It's not a hard question, not sure why you can't answer. It's foundational to the rest of the discussion.

Hi,

So, post up your Type 7 and answer all the other industry related questions and we can continue this conversation.

Until then....some inside information as to the State of Affairs of manufacturers transitioning to a more direct business model.
RUGER...yes..That Ruger.....
In their new 2020 10-K filing to the SEC and their BOD...they put it in black and white that the lose of a distributor would not have an adverse long term affect on the company.

1615162431239.png

Also..here is the prime reason the industry is transitioning to be more consumer direct. From the 10-K of Ruger.
1615162838782.png

Leaving your companies sales and financial condition to a 3rd party company is just not good for business because the credit insurance policies will only cover so much.

Sincerely,
Theis

To any and all...

What is the status/availability of the raw material used to make alot of these parts...Aluminum?
Adequate supply over the next year?

Are “we” sitting good on the availability of raw Aluminum for the manufacturing of uppers, lowers, handguards, etc...
Thanks

Hi,

Aluminum production increased 4.3% in January compared to last January and is forecasted to increase again in May.
Aluminum | 1989-2021 Data | 2022-2023 Forecast | Price | Quote | Chart | Historical (tradingeconomics.com)

Department of Commerce also just announced that 16 countries were selling off aluminum in the USA under its' trade value, so there has to be enough for it to be readily available for the "dumping" market.
Commerce Department Says Common Alloy Aluminum Sheet Unfairly Traded in U.S Market | The Aluminum Association

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Hi,

So, post up your Type 7 and answer all the other industry related questions and we can continue this conversation.

Until then....some inside information as to the State of Affairs of manufacturers transitioning to a more direct business model.
In their new 2020 10-K filing to the SEC and their BOD...they put it in black and white that the lose of a distributor would not have an adverse long term affect on the company.

View attachment 7576052

Also..here is the prime reason the industry is transitioning to be more consumer direct. From the 10-K of Ruger.
View attachment 7576054

Leaving your companies sales and financial condition to a 3rd party company is just not good for business because the credit insurance policies will only cover so much.

Sincerely,
Theis

All levels of the supply chain answer to the end user and what they demand. Ruger knows from recent, painful experiences they need to keep options open in getting product to market. Those lines may not portend exactly what you’re thinking. Yes, in last 3.5 years two of the largest firearms wholesalers went bankrupt, hundreds of millions of sales volume for manufacturers went *poof*
Ruger didn’t lose too severely on the actual bankruptcy filings, as they didn’t extend either company much credit, seeing the proverbial writing on the wall months ahead. Vista and S&W took much larger losses in real dollars, both being major debt holders in both bankruptcy cases. However, Ruger simply shifted their volume lost in those bankruptcy cases to other wholesalers and bringing on a new wholesaler (taking a hit in one quarter from the real losses, but experienced no long term loss in sales volume because the end user remained intact and purchasing Ruger guns). Ruger has 15 sales people. The efforts of those 15 employees are leveraged via hundreds of wholesale sales staff and thousands of retail sales staff on which Ruger doesn’t have to pay a dime of salary, commissions, or overhead.

The risks and costs for manufacturers, at Ruger’s size, selling thousands of different customers would be extensive. The risk is different (and on the whole, lower) selling to a dozen wholesalers. To expound, these costs are significantly lower selling to a dozen wholesalers as they take on the credit risks of 1000’s of retailers as well as a portion of the compliance burden. Further, consider the logistics and inventory considerations. Ruger keeps very, very little inventory in finished goods. Wholesalers hold virtually all the finished goods and pay Ruger quickly, keeping their cash flows in the net positive. Ruger realizes tremendous savings in not holding any significant finished good inventory.

Respectfully, neither solution (solely consumer direct or two step distribution) is one size fits all. Several manufacturers practice a blended model with some two step distribution, some direct to retailer, and (where practical) consumer direct sales. At the volume and price point of a Hoplite Arms, direct to end consumer is a winning distribution solution. At Ruger’s price and volume, the associated costs to sell individuals would fail to scale very well.

The regulated nature of the product is a real caveat in this discussion. Sans regulations, online (mail order) would rule the market. I’ll also add that profit margins (outside those of the manufacturers) in firearms are no where near as generous as other consumer goods.

Cheers,
Middle Man

To give an example of a DTC manufacture with high sales volume I think I would look at PSA. 30 seconds of googling says $45 million in sales. PSA has come a LONG way in the past 6 years. In 2014 supposedly only manufactured 7700 guns. I don’t see how their business model would not keep scaling even at 10x their current sales to match Ruger.

Hi,

View attachment 7576052

View attachment 7576054

Sincerely,
Theis
Of course it wouldn't - there are other wholesalers lining to take their spot, but we're not discussing 2 step models, were discussing D2C so that's completely irrelevant.

Why won't you answer the easiest, most foundational question; what size company are you referencing that can go from a MFG alone to a successful D2C? This isn't a "gotcha" or trap question, it's just a very basic, but important factor.

Why don't you answer his questions? Those seem pretty simple also.
tenor.gif

This is good reading. 🍿
Because the relevancy of those questions is dependent on the answer to my question.

If I didn't know the OP to be a long time contributing forum member, I would've assumed this thread was created to stir the pot and start a retarded purse fight. Regardless of intentions, that's the way it has ended up.

That was not the intention, no.

I have a lot of respect for this forum and many members.
I have just gotten to meet Theis by PM, and look forward to learning more. I am a student at learning about firearms, and the firearms business. I am never the smartest guy in the room, but there are things I can share and things I can learn.

This thread had degraded to something I would expect to find on ARFcom, where members seek to be experts at everything (sic, not). I think the members here should show a little more decorum. We all might have differences of opinons. I am not sure where this thread got off the rails. I might expect to see this is "which is the best scope" but not about parts and supply chain and business models.

My only intention was to share what I am seeing, in terms of very real shortages of parts, and very real long delays in deliveries.

To give an example of a DTC manufacture with high sales volume I think I would look at PSA. 30 seconds of googling says $45 million in sales. PSA has come a LONG way in the past 6 years. In 2014 supposedly only manufactured 7700 guns. I don’t see how their business model would not keep scaling even at 10x their current sales to match Ruger.

I agree that PSA has come a long way, and is a reasonable example of a successful DTC. They are also B2B and B2C.

They have a number of core parts that are sold B2B, and they also represent a number of brands as a reseller, or B2C. And, now they own Toolcraft and some Remington IP. Not sure what they will do with the latter. They have the advantage of some private equity, and a board that drives their business. They are manufacturing light, and assembly heavy, so a little different.

I am not sure what the $45mm in Google shows or where the facts come from. My guess is they are bigger than that. I would not be surprised to see them grown their franchise in many ways, again, given the recent acquisitions.

I was not aware of PSA parent company acquiring toolcraft, that’s news to me. Any more info on that? Hopefully the toolcraft quality stays.

I wouldn’t call them manufacturer light. Iirc they manufacture every single piece of their House brands besides maybe small springs, pins, etc. owning your own forge and coating is a pretty big deal.

Hi,

In regards to PSA.

Their reported manufacturing numbers submitted and released by BATFE for the 2019 manufacturing year is as follows:

Rifles:
1615234191469.png

Pistols:
1615234239114.png

When bored, take a scroll through the manufacturing reports; it is a big eye opener in real numbers manufactured and perceived numbers manufactured.
For example....Barrett is barely over 5k rifles (YES I know the report does not account for .gov or exportation since those are not "released into commerce).

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Bradu and Nebulous
All levels of the supply chain answer to the end user and what they demand. Ruger knows from recent, painful experiences they need to keep options open in getting product to market. Those lines may not portend exactly what you’re thinking. Yes, in last 3.5 years two of the largest firearms wholesalers went bankrupt, hundreds of millions of sales volume for manufacturers went *poof*
Ruger didn’t lose too severely on the actual bankruptcy filings, as they didn’t extend either company much credit, seeing the proverbial writing on the wall months ahead. Vista and S&W took much larger losses in real dollars, both being major debt holders in both bankruptcy cases. However, Ruger simply shifted their volume lost in those bankruptcy cases to other wholesalers and bringing on a new wholesaler (taking a hit in one quarter from the real losses, but experienced no long term loss in sales volume because the end user remained intact and purchasing Ruger guns). Ruger has 15 sales people. The efforts of those 15 employees are leveraged via hundreds of wholesale sales staff and thousands of retail sales staff on which Ruger doesn’t have to pay a dime of salary, commissions, or overhead.

The risks and costs for manufacturers, at Ruger’s size, selling thousands of different customers would be extensive. The risk is different (and on the whole, lower) selling to a dozen wholesalers. To expound, these costs are significantly lower selling to a dozen wholesalers as they take on the credit risks of 1000’s of retailers as well as a portion of the compliance burden. Further, consider the logistics and inventory considerations. Ruger keeps very, very little inventory in finished goods. Wholesalers hold virtually all the finished goods and pay Ruger quickly, keeping their cash flows in the net positive. Ruger realizes tremendous savings in not holding any significant finished good inventory.

Respectfully, neither solution (solely consumer direct or two step distribution) is one size fits all. Several manufacturers practice a blended model with some two step distribution, some direct to retailer, and (where practical) consumer direct sales. At the volume and price point of a Hoplite Arms, direct to end consumer is a winning distribution solution. At Ruger’s price and volume, the associated costs to sell individuals would fail to scale very well.

The regulated nature of the product is a real caveat in this discussion. Sans regulations, online (mail order) would rule the market. I’ll also add that profit margins (outside those of the manufacturers) in firearms are no where near as generous as other consumer goods.

Cheers,
Middle Man
100% this

All I know is when I read @THEIS posts I learn alot and I read them in an Alexa voice.... My Theis Alexa has an Australian accent and tells me jokes.

Continue on...

Reactions: camocorvette
I was not aware of PSA parent company acquiring toolcraft, that’s news to me. Any more info on that? Hopefully the toolcraft quality stays.

I wouldn’t call them manufacturer light. Iirc they manufacture every single piece of their House brands besides maybe small springs, pins, etc. owning your own forge and coating is a pretty big deal.
While PSA is heavily vertically integrated and has recently purchased other parts makers and assemblers, your assertion above is incorrect, they do not make “every single piece”.

Hi,

In regards to PSA.

Their reported manufacturing numbers submitted and released by BATFE for the 2019 manufacturing year is as follows:

Rifles:
View attachment 7576620

Pistols:
View attachment 7576621

When bored, take a scroll through the manufacturing reports; it is a big eye opener in real numbers manufactured and perceived numbers manufactured.
For example....Barrett is barely over 5k rifles (YES I know the report does not account for .gov or exportation since those are not "released into commerce).

Sincerely,
Theis
Absolutely, this. Part of the difficulty in meeting the recent surge of demand is the relatively small size of the industry and it’s production capacity.

So are we shooting people today, or not?

You guys are so confusing.
Dude! My head is spinning! Then again, I'm a dizzy fucker when it comes to manufacturing anything outside of a ham sammich.

@THEIS I looked at that aluminum production report, looks good on paper. Granted, aluminum is one of a couple different metals that is highly used in the firearms industry...I imagine steel is up there as well.

I imagine that anything compared to last year is going to have an increase, for the simple fact that the scamdemic shut the country down for the majority of it, but that is 100% speculation on my behalf.

Can you hypothesize as to why many things firearm-related seem to be so impacted in terms of manufacturing delays? If it's not something you care to speculate on, I understand. Regardless, thanks for the insight into your world. I may not understand much, and much of it appears to be Chinese, but it's interesting, nonetheless.

While PSA is heavily vertically integrated and has recently purchased other parts makers and assemblers, your assertion above is incorrect, they do not make “every single piece”.
What part do they not manufacture that’s not owned by them or their parent company?

Can you hypothesize as to why many things firearm-related seem to be so impacted in terms of manufacturing delays? If it's not something you care to speculate on, I understand.

Hi,

That seems to be the million dollar question in the industry right now; especially from the consumer side.

The complicated issue of it is the highly highly possibility of the "answer" being different for each manufacturer.

From MY direct side of the issue; the manufacturing delays due to alloy availability is a ludicrous argument because we have alloy orders and delivery guarantee built into our purchase contracts.

For example I use a specific alloy that is ONLY available from a single source...the manufacture and with the delivery guarantee....I make more money if they don't deliver as contractually obligated, lol.

Then companies like Bartlein have also said they already have their 2022 alloys ordered with guaranteed deliveries.

IMO the manufacturing delay is being blamed on the alloy but that is not the real direct reason.

1. Some of that may be because the firearms manufacturer has his COGS lined out for alloy to be abc percentage but now the price increased and they can't pay it and still make the profit needed to run the business. This would be because the firearms manufacturer only orders on as needed basis and did not lock his prices in for the year so he gets stuck dealing with fluctuating alloy prices.

2. Machines......contrary to perceived beliefs; firearm manufacturers are not just stacked and stacked with machines and business 101 is you never add machines during "Panic" purchasing. So the firearms manufacturer can only make cde quantity of components and it is easier to blame alloy than saying their production capacity is maxed out. I have 2 swiss screw machines that have essentially run 24/7 for the past 6 months making AR folder adapter part for another company because they are maxed out on machine time.

3. Outsourcing...This is what gets most firearm manufacturers. Typically in the heat treatment and coating processes since very very very few have the capabilities to perform those operations in house.
---For example there are only 2 heat treatment facilities in the USA that will provide the certifications of the process for my bolt and breech cylinder alloy. SO I am definitely at their mercy in regards to production. So that has to be planned for in my budget to get them those parts essentially 2 batches ahead of all the other components.
---For example I sent a receiver and chassis to the largest independent owned metal coating company in the USA for them to process with one of their new coatings/metal treatments I wanted to try out. It was scheduled to take 2 weeks. At right over 30 days they sent my stuff to me and guess what.....all they did was disassemble everything and ship it back....they FORGOT to coat it, lol

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Reactions: FALex
What do you think a warehouse with enough square footage costs? What do you think warehouse management systems cost? What do you think fulfillment equipment costs? Inventory insurance? Now add in staffing.

MFGs ≠ CS, Ops, Fulfillment, Inventory management, etc.

Trade shows have nothing to do with that aspect of the industry, so no idea why you even brought it up.
This just isn’t true. We do it with 6 people and supply all of North America. We do B2B and B2C and do pretty well with it every single day. We have at any given time 1500 different SKUs and we know a precise inventory down to the single digit of springs. You want to call and speak with a salesman, cool you’ll never wait more than a day for a return email. You want to talk to the service department, less than a few minutes if you call and need a technical question answered. The only hiccup we have is shipping times because of the order volume, and that’s less than 2 days.

Reactions: Nebulous
This just isn’t true. We do it with 6 people and supply all of North America. We do B2B and B2C and do pretty well with it every single day. We have at any given time 1500 different SKUs and we know a precise inventory down to the single digit of springs. You want to call and speak with a salesman, cool you’ll never wait more than a day for a return email. You want to talk to the service department, less than a few minutes if you call and need a technical question answered. The only hiccup we have is shipping times because of the order volume, and that’s less than 2 days.
and what revenue & active customer base are you working with? (not sure why you mentioned live inventory - no one is claiming thats a hangup for anyone on any level)

and what revenue & active customer base are you working with? (not sure why you mentioned live inventory - no one is claiming thats a hangup for anyone on any level)
8-12 million a year. By active customer base I assume you’re asking what our core base of customers are, and that’s rimfire shooters. We deal with 1 distributor, hundreds of dealers, and 60-65% of our customer base is regular guys/girls calling and ordering direct from us.
The live inventory was mentioned, because if I’m not mistaken, you and Theis were arguing WMS, which isn’t that expensive in relation to everything else

8-12 million a year. By active customer base I assume you’re asking what our core base of customers are, and that’s rimfire shooters. We deal with 1 distributor, hundreds of dealers, and 60-65% of our customer base is regular guys/girls calling and ordering direct from us.
The live inventory was mentioned, because if I’m not mistaken, you and Theis were arguing WMS, which isn’t that expensive in relation to everything else
Its already been agreed that ~$200K/wk can be ran any number of ways, and not the size of company in question.

Hi,

I think I am one of those "poors"....just look at how I have to carry my factory ammunition around at the 1 mile match...
I wonder if I can get ziploc to sponsor my Team????

View attachment 7574775

Sincerely,
Theis
If you want a lower tripod mount i can source you one. No need to lay it on its side while glassing.

What part do they not manufacture that’s not owned by them or their parent company?
Well I’ll be, they did buy a forging operation. More vertical integration than a few years back. Roll pins, springs, c-clips, screws, plastics are most likely sourced...

Well I’ll be, they did buy a forging operation. More vertical integration than a few years back. Roll pins, springs, c-clips, screws, plastics are most likely sourced...
Which was exactly what i said in the initial post lol. They have their own coating operation also all in house. They make their own barrels, uppers lowers, handguards, triggers, etc etc. doesn’t look like they have got into the plastics yet for the furniture.

Hi,

That seems to be the million dollar question in the industry right now; especially from the consumer side.

The complicated issue of it is the highly highly possibility of the "answer" being different for each manufacturer.

From MY direct side of the issue; the manufacturing delays due to alloy availability is a ludicrous argument because we have alloy orders and delivery guarantee built into our purchase contracts.

For example I use a specific alloy that is ONLY available from a single source...the manufacture and with the delivery guarantee....I make more money if they don't deliver as contractually obligated, lol.

Then companies like Bartlein have also said they already have their 2022 alloys ordered with guaranteed deliveries.

IMO the manufacturing delay is being blamed on the alloy but that is not the real direct reason.

1. Some of that may be because the firearms manufacturer has his COGS lined out for alloy to be abc percentage but now the price increased and they can't pay it and still make the profit needed to run the business. This would be because the firearms manufacturer only orders on as needed basis and did not lock his prices in for the year so he gets stuck dealing with fluctuating alloy prices.

2. Machines......contrary to perceived beliefs; firearm manufacturers are not just stacked and stacked with machines and business 101 is you never add machines during "Panic" purchasing. So the firearms manufacturer can only make cde quantity of components and it is easier to blame alloy than saying their production capacity is maxed out. I have 2 swiss screw machines that have essentially run 24/7 for the past 6 months making AR folder adapter part for another company because they are maxed out on machine time.

3. Outsourcing...This is what gets most firearm manufacturers. Typically in the heat treatment and coating processes since very very very few have the capabilities to perform those operations in house.
---For example there are only 2 heat treatment facilities in the USA that will provide the certifications of the process for my bolt and breech cylinder alloy. SO I am definitely at their mercy in regards to production. So that has to be planned for in my budget to get them those parts essentially 2 batches ahead of all the other components.
---For example I sent a receiver and chassis to the largest independent owned metal coating company in the USA for them to process with one of their new coatings/metal treatments I wanted to try out. It was scheduled to take 2 weeks. At right over 30 days they sent my stuff to me and guess what.....all they did was disassemble everything and ship it back....they FORGOT to coat it, lol

Sincerely,
Theis
Thank you for that information. It’s very interesting to have the perspective of folks who do this for a living.

From an outsider’s perspective, the firearms manufacturing industry appears to be uber complex...it seems to beg the question, “is patience a virtue?” Lol!!

Toolcraft and Remingtion (some of the IP).

Manufacturing lite, in the sense that much of what they sell is as a dealer, and the other things are assembled. They do not manufactuer the barrels, and the parts are all purchased. Their finished product is an amalgamation of some manufacturing and lots of assembly. It is subjective. When I think of manufacturing companies, brands like LMT and Colt and LaRue and Geissele come to mind. I am not aware of what they actually manufacture. I suppose it is probably some milling of forged uppers and lowers.

Toolcraft and Remingtion (some of the IP).

Manufacturing lite, in the sense that much of what they sell is as a dealer, and the other things are assembled. They do not manufactuer the barrels, and the parts are all purchased. Their finished product is an amalgamation of some manufacturing and lots of assembly. It is subjective. When I think of manufacturing companies, brands like LMT and Colt and LaRue and Geissele come to mind. I am not aware of what they actually manufacture. I suppose it is probably some milling of forged uppers and lowers.
PSA makes their own barrels.

if they forge and mill their own receivers, forge and mill their own handguards, cut, profile, and chamber their own barrels, make their own triggers, now make their own BCGs, coat and nitride everything in house, how can you say they are lots of assembly and a little manufacturing? Not many that do more in house than them.

So here we are a year later and how has this all turned out?

Personally I think those "critical shortages" the OP mentioned were only critical to people who think you can't kill a bad guy with anything less than a $3K rifle.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Rarely will post anything in the Pit but I usually like the comments of @THEIS, @TheGerman, @clcustom1911. Always something to learn.

I know next to nothing about manufacturing a produce but was able to tell you cost & development time to bring up a IBM mainframe system. After the estimate I would add on 4-6 weeks because some people just did not have the same work ethic and just complained about not getting paid enough. Well, I retired 3 years ago.

With that preceding thought it is interesting to read about production problems making some of my favorite ‘toys’. While I really want a LM&T 308 I constantly get e-mail from Wilson Combat that they have product available in 308. I subscribe to their YouTube channel & a while ago there were many videos about the increase in production expansions & latest CNC machines. I do not know if Wilson material is the same quality as a LM&T tho.

I have not read here that Wilson makes a great 308 so I will wait with bated breath for a LM&T.

Maxwell