• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

little advice from your personal experience on a bolt rifle??

parkervbar88

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2014
im looking to grab a spr a1 and do a few modifications over time. mainly bedding and mag system. possibly sell the mcmillan and switch to a manners ta-4*%$# or however you designate it. i really have no interest in doing a full on custom with surgeon receivers or anything like that. i want a complete rifle manufactured by one damn company not pieced together. are there any other rifles i should be considering also in this 1-1.7k dollar range?

An SPR-A1 and TBM Conversion Kit would get everything you want from FNH. Add bedding from a good gunsmith and you should have the .5 MOA version of what you want (maybe even without bedding it). The McMillan A3 non-adjustable it comes with will serve you well until you get the Manners, if that is what you prefer.

My go-to .308 is an SPR-A1 with TBM kit, I've bedded it and added a Surefire 7.62 MB for suppressor purposes. Shoots great, functions even better. I am a little biased, though. However, I'd choose it anyday, no matter my employer.

I'm firmly in the corner of the SPR. Mine is the earliest version built in New Haven. A rifle that I have never laid hands on but is getting some good reviews is the SSG 3000 http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...r-ssg-3000-full-write-up-myths-clarified.html. jbell has one of these that is the European version in .22. They are a switch barrel gun and his .22 is literally unequaled in the 6x5 thread in the stickies on the rimfire section (check the last couple of posts). If that conversion becomes available in the US I'll be all over one.

The FN's are great rifles, there TBM kit is very good, altho a little on the heavy side being cast steel. Tikka's are very nice rifles, cant go wrong with a Remington 700, probably the largest aftermarket following with them. Savage makes a decent rifle but with so many models and changes over the years, do your research before you buy so you have the aftermarket options you are looking to do.

Replacing the McMillan with the Manners is a step backwards in my personal experience.

Regards, Paul

oh didnt know that. thanks for the heads up paul. ill probably keep the a1. i just like the adjustable cheek riser on 2 piece stocks and mini chassis option

Last edited:
Savage 12 LRP or Palma. Great shooting guns right out of the box. We have LRP in .260 that shoots amazing for a $1000 rifle. Have seen the Palma do well in competition, but have not owned one. I also have not had one, but I bet the Savage 10 FCP's are also good. Savage makes a good rifle all around for the money.

Tikka + krg = :)

Without a doubt!!

Edit: add a little more OPINION, I've shot and owned a couple different Savage rifles and I've also shot and owned several Remington rifles. With that said, if you're wanting to do nothing more than maybe change a stock or maybe a couple accessories than Tikka is the best way to get this done.

Last edited:
Tikka + krg = :)

DING!

Owned a SPR, and while they are fantastic guns, you are limited by the caliber (.308 or 300WSM if u like to piss money away). The win70/SPR action is fantastic and it is one of the best values out there in bolt guns. The A1 has a 24" barrel, which is kind of wasted with .308.

With that being said, I would go with a Tikka CTR .260 and drop it into a KRG like Jbell mentioned. It will be similar money but much more versitle system.

I bought my SPR A1 from Tactical Coordination a while back.

Mike glass beds them, and he can do the CDI bottom metal on it as well. He has a special here on the hide that is very reasonable; I think it's the best value for an LR rifle out there right now.

My rifle is at worst a 3/4 MOA rifle with Gold Medal Match.

There isn't a whole lot to say about it. It comes with a great stock, easily adjustable trigger, and very good action that is trued from the factory.

There's only a few upgrades that are worth doing and they are about the last bit of refinement. Stockdoc can do an adjustable cheek piece. The CDI bottom metal is also a good bet. Then the only thing to do is get bored of shooting 308 and re-barrel to .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

guess i should add i am looking for a .308 rifle to be my work horse / go to rifle . im not interested in a tactical chasis in short actions and im not looking to change calibers. i know Kreiger offers barrels so i still i have options in .260 or .243 no matter what. i will look strongly into the Tikka, but i must admit for the money the MCM stock sways me pretty heavily

Last edited:
To be honest the factory stock on the T3 worked fine for me. I did open up the barrel channel just a bit to accommodate flex while on a bipod but other than that it worked great straight out of the box.

Factory Tikka 595 Master Sporter

sporter.jpg

Factory Tikka 595 Master Sporter

View attachment 47212

They haven't made that rifle for a long time.

T3 Sporter is the current model...........Which is nothing but a heavy barreled T3 in a fat wood stock.

Most people (like myself) bye them and drop them into a chassis. Sell the old stock and for less than $1.8K, you have a killer setup.

The CTR makes this easier. Buy the gun, drop barreled action into a chassis and there you go. After going to a chassis, there is zero reason to every buy a MCM or Manners. They are obsolete.

To be honest the factory stock on the T3 worked fine for me. I did open up the barrel channel just a bit to accommodate flex while on a bipod but other than that it worked great straight out of the box.

And this. The factory plastic stock may feel cheap, but its actually very servicable. A stock CTR for under $1k...........can't be beat.

They haven't made that rifle for a long time.

T3 Sporter is the current model...........Which is nothing but a heavy barreled T3 in a fat wood stock.

Most people (like myself) bye them and drop them into a chassis. Sell the old stock and for less than $1.8K, you have a killer setup.

The CTR makes this easier. Buy the gun, drop barreled action into a chassis and there you go. After going to a chassis, there is zero reason to every buy a MCM or Manners. They are obsolete.

I bought a 595 MS second hand only a couple of months ago second hand.... The trigger is damn amazing, and the bolt slides like glass.

First factory rifle I havent spent any money on modifying or changing things

The Tikka 595 is a great action. I had a 308 master sporter, now running (amongst others) a 595 in .222 with a TRG trigger, now THAT is sweet :)

Regards

Pete

I bought a 595 MS second hand only a couple of months ago second hand.... The trigger is damn amazing, and the bolt slides like glass.

First factory rifle I havent spent any money on modifying or changing things

Yea its a older action 595/695 that does not work with the popular chassis. great guns, just wanted to point that out.

i looked into the tikka. im really liking the T3 sporter. i know its dorky, but its quality. thanks for the suggestions . i have some thinking to do.

I had a T3 Tactical about a year and a half ago. I hated it. I've had my SPR A1 much longer. The FN is a real value out of the box and I would recommend it. They are built like a tank and I take mine regarly out to 1k. Just my experience. Good luck in whatever you choose.

I had a T3 Tactical about a year and a half ago. I hated it. I've had my SPR A1 much longer. The FN is a real value out of the box and I would recommend it. They are built like a tank and I take mine regarly out to 1k. Just my experience. Good luck in whatever you choose.

im leaning in the spr direction.after looking more into the tikka i honestly wouldn't choose it over a savage or remington. now the sako trg seems nice, but its a grand more and i highly doubt it is any better than the spr anyways. which barrel length did you go with, and would you choose that same length again if you had the choice?

im kind of surprised no one mentioned CZ 550 tacticool .

Last edited:
Now, if your thinking 'TRG', then my advice, save that extra grand and go for it. You won't regret it.
I have two now, my first was/is a 22 with a 26" tube, now with a 26" .260 tube I swap over with the original, now cut to 20" .308.
And not long bought a 42 in 338 for the bigger foxes ;)

If you can get the chance to try one, do it :)

Regards

Pete

The TRG I had was THE SINGLE, most accurate rifle I'd ever owned. There was no difference between cold barrel and string fire groups. The only reason I sold it was I couldn't justify the cost, but it was an INCREDIBLE rifle in every way. If you are thinking about a rifle "above" the FN SPR A1, you'd be hard pressed to do better than a TRG, IMO. :D

maybe i should just save the extra money. my dilemma is im soon going to be upgrading motorcycles and the rifle just isnt as much of a priority. i might just hold off a half a year and do it right the first time around.

I LOVE my SPR a1! It was my first non-hunting type rifle and I didn't know much about precision shooting at that point when I bought it. After getting to be around some guys that have been doing it for a long time I upgraded my glass, added the TBM and got the rifle bedded and my groups with that rifle are tiny now.

Since then I have bought a Surgeon build and a Defiance build and they are both great and I really have no complaints with ether one but (I'm sure some people will call BS on this but I don't care) That SPR action of mine is more smooth than both the custom actions, I can run it faster and harder.