• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Little Glock Project

Josh Ward

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2011
Indiana
www.operetrievers.com
Ordered a new Gen 3 Glock 17 for this little project. I handled a similar gun several weeks ago and had to have one for myself.

Chopped the grip length down to accept 15rd (glock 19) mags, ditched the stupid finger grooves, did a slight grip angle change, and grip circumference reduction. Then did the stipple job and built some kydex gear for it. Waiting on 10-8 gold bead sights and a fulcrum trigger kit and she'll be done.

Frame on the band saw

Frame post grip work, pre stipple with 15rd mag in place

Stipple work complete

OWB & AIWB Holsters and Mag pouch

Very cool sir. I'm thinking about slimming up my 19 and adding a Trijicon RMR.

I have been EDCing a chopped 17 with VG2 VanGuard 2 for the last 11 months. It is a great way to fly, esp in an NPE.

Very cool sir. I'm thinking about slimming up my 19 and adding a Trijicon RMR.

While I did not like to carry the 19 in the VG2, there is a part of me that is interested in chopping a 19 to accept a 26 mag.........

This is an uncommon chop and I would love to read more about the experience of others before I embark.

Chopped rigs have been gaining ground over the last 5 years. Most that EDC one instantly gravitate to their inherent advantages. I am surprised that Glock USA has not picked up on this and begun to offer factory 'chopped' 17s and 22s.

Got one of those too ..... Its AWESOME!!!! Do it. you wont regret it

While I did not like to carry the 19 in the VG2, there is a part of me that is interested in chopping a 19 to accept a 26 mag.........

This is an uncommon chop and I would love to read more about the experience of others before I embark.

Chopped rigs have been gaining ground over the last 5 years. Most that EDC one instantly gravitate to their inherent advantages. I am surprised that Glock USA has not picked up on this and begun to offer factory 'chopped' 17s and 22s.

You did a real nice job on the grip and the stippling. It turned out well. I must admit that most of the home project grip reductions and stippling I see are pretty sad. You obviously know what you are doing. Me taking a bad saw to a new Glock would not be a good thing!

Very good work! I like it! Im not a huge fan of stippling but yours looks good.

Totally agree, and the detail on the trigger guard wasn't lost on me either. It looks damn nice, and better yet, it looks like it works well too. I liked the old straight grip myself, I even keep one around still.

Chances you do this for money? If so, I have a frame I'd like done just like yours.

Very nicely done! If you don't mind my asking a few questions:

Is your goal in shortening the frame to reduce printing during concealed carry while still maintaining the sight radius of the full sized slide?

How do you find the balance on your pistol compared to an "actual" G19? (with both a full and empty mag)

Again, very nicely done, and thanks for posting.

I used a flat circular tip on a wood burning kit and cut it with a hacksaw like a pizza.

Very nicely done! If you don't mind my asking a few questions:

Is your goal in shortening the frame to reduce printing during concealed carry while still maintaining the sight radius of the full sized slide?

How do you find the balance on your pistol compared to an "actual" G19? (with both a full and empty mag)

Again, very nicely done, and thanks for posting.

Yeah, pretty much. Also for me, fixing the f'ed up grip angle is easier by chopping a 17.

It balances GREAT

Yeah, pretty much. Also for me, fixing the f'ed up grip angle is easier by chopping a 17.

It balances GREAT

That makes sense. When I first tried a Glock 20+ yrs ago I was aware that I didn't like the grip angle. After carrying one for 10yrs I just kind of forgot about it. It doesn't have that "YES, this is RIGHT" feel to it like a 1911 or Hi-Power type pistol does for me, but I'm just so damn used to it I just don't think about it anymore.

Totally agree, and the detail on the trigger guard wasn't lost on me either. It looks damn nice, and better yet, it looks like it works well too. I liked the old straight grip myself, I even keep one around still.

Chances you do this for money? If so, I have a frame I'd like done just like yours.

No can do man, sorry. I don't have the proper "permission" from the gubbermint.....

Nice work....

I can't leave any of my Glocks alone:) This G34 has over 10k on it and still functions like a Swiss watch. I'll be buried with this one. I'm emotionally tied to it.

2cdiek0.jpg

Nice work....

I can't leave any of my Glocks alone:) This G34 has over 10k on it and still functions like a Swiss watch. I'll be buried with this one. I'm emotionally tied to it.

2cdiek0.jpg
How did you do that?!
Also, has anyone ever taken off a little too much and went through the frame? That would ruin your day.

How did you do that?!
Also, has anyone ever taken off a little too much and went through the frame? That would ruin your day.

Dremel to remove finger grooves and existing texture (smooth finish) and KG boot repair texture kit (stuff works great). Mask out your preferred portion you want covered and apply. Let it sit for 12 hours and your good to go bud.

I'm very cautious with my dremel...

Nice work guys. I might have to chop down my 17 to make it more carriable although I don't want to loose any match performance. However I'm not a fan of the stippling. Any good how-to references?

I am rolling with a G22 now and am thinking of grabbing another 22 and chopping the frame. I have tried the stippling and never felt satisfied, I have gone with the Devcon and textured as desired, bigger sea sponge texture on the front strap and fine styrofoam texture on the side so it does not eat clothing or my skin.

[MENTION=20721]Nocalphoenix[/MENTION],
How well does the devcon grip work compared to stippling?

I really like the devcon. I can leave it spikey enough it will draw blood but it is easy enough to take it down a little bit at a time to get to where you want. I have a couple thousand through a 17 and a 22 and have not had any cracking or peeling at all. I have only done it with devcon 10110, same one used in bedding jobs, if you try the hardware store devcon or JB weld it will lay down flat before it hardens. Devcon out of the can will be a lighter grey but I also threw some black dye in on the last one and it is a pretty good match for the factory colors.

When I get back I think I am going to do a grip reduction on a 17 for my wife, and I think I am going to try to sand it all down until smooth then try these TEGS sheets TEGS Sheets | Line of Fire

If that ends up not working, ill hit you up for some more insight on the devcon.

I recently had my finger grooves removed and a full stipple job and I love it.

I really want to do a grip chop to a 19 mag but leave the backstrap long and flush with the 19 mag. maybe a bobtail look to it. just not sure I want to mess with what I have built already or get another to chop...

It balances GREAT

So after a couple months of use how is the whole chop working out? I keep looking at in and eyeballing my bandsaw but not sure if a 1/2" (correct me if this is not right) is worth the effort and modifications.