• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Live primer removal

bserebreni

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Gulf Breeze, FL
I primed 6.5grendel with small pistol (35 rounds). NO power and NO bullet. Any ideas on safe removal will be greatly appreaciated.

Re: Live primer removal

Deprime it very slowly. Or I have heard of people dropping water or oil in the case then depriming.

Just wear eye protection and deprime it. I have not had a single live primer go off while being deprimed. Its not like you are depriming a live 50bmg primer.....

Ummmm, you dont live in Sherman Oaks, Kalifornia!!! I do and so does the OP, and thats the same thing as discharging a firearm around here.
laugh.gif

I asked the same question a couple of months ago and some people said to just deprime it live as USMCj suggested and it worked just fine. I wore safety glasses as always. I was leary at first, but I had no problems.

Just wear eye and ear protection in case

Ive never had one go off on me before but you never know just to save yourself some ringing ears may as well chuck the muffs on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ummmm, you dont live in Sherman Oaks, Kalifornia!!! I do and so does the OP, and thats the same thing as discharging a firearm around here.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yeah I do live in Kali but it's rural here sometimes I forget not everyone can fire off guns in their backyard for fun.

Not to hijack the thread but a long the same lines what's your procedure for securing a mis fire at the range. I've been reloading for a couple years now. And this past weekend I had my first round click but no bang. I sat the rifle on the bench facing down range. Gave it a good 30sec then slowly pulled the live round. I discovered a solid primer strike but no ignition. At that point then what. What is considered the proper way to handle the round? The indoor range I shoot at has a steel bin to discard mis fires. Out at the range they have no such recepticle. I understand it most likely will not discharge, but I would hate to create an unsafe situation for some unsupecting guy later.

NY700,

Like you said it's highly unlikely the round will go off if it doesn't when you initially fire. If it does the primer will shoot out at about 500 FPS. The case will not explode and the bullet will go nowhere. I have seen lots of deflegrations of ammunition in fires and that is what always happens unless the round is contained in a firearm chamber.

I would throw it in my range bag and not worry too much(and I do) but if you wanted to be really safe a .30 cal ammo can would contain it quite well. TJR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hijack the thread but a long the same lines what's your procedure for securing a mis fire at the range. I've been reloading for a couple years now. And this past weekend I had my first round click but no bang. I sat the rifle on the bench facing down range. Gave it a good 30sec then slowly pulled the live round. I discovered a solid primer strike but no ignition. At that point then what. What is considered the proper way to handle the round? The indoor range I shoot at has a steel bin to discard mis fires. Out at the range they have no such recepticle. I understand it most likely will not discharge, but I would hate to create an unsafe situation for some unsupecting guy later. </div></div>

I try several times to get the round to fire. If I am sure it will not go off, then I put it back in the box. When I get ready to reload, I pull the bullet, collect the powder, de-cap and it goes in with the rest of the empties to be reloaded

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ummmm, you dont live in Sherman Oaks, Kalifornia!!! I do and so does the OP, and thats the same thing as discharging a firearm around here.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

God that is so gay. I think the same applies for shithole NY too.

I've deprimed many cases over the years, always wearing safety glasses and never had one go off. Many, many years back using the original LEE Loader had one go off while priming, still did not cause a problem.