• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

Didnt time it with a stopwatch but it honestly takes about 2 min to remove and replace the barrel. Thats taking your time and drinking a scotch to boot.

Safety first ensure its unloaded.

DSC00434.jpg

Next loosen the rear pinch bolt with the included torque wrench.

DSC00436.jpg

Now the front bolt.

DSC00437.jpg

The front bolt is the only one that needs to be removed as it also serves to index the barrel.

DSC00438.jpg

Now remove the barrel by pulling out the handguard. The gas tube is supported at the front and rear and is pretty susbtantial but you should still be carefull to not damage it when removing and installing.

DSC00439.jpg

OK so here is the source of the weight, as you can see there is substantially more meat to the assembly than the normal barrel and extention set up used on other Stoner platforms.

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

Reassemble in reverse order torque to 140 in/lbs.

Quick question for those who posted target pics... which barrel are they coming from? The chrome lined or the SS?

Can you post a pic of the ruler from the front of the forearm to the end of the brake?

Wondering how short a barrel would be ideal for SBR.

I was told to expect mine to arrive in July... its such a long, hard wait! Your guys pictures are helping me cope though!!!

FYI the 5R SS barrels in the MWS really shoot.

I had a chance to see one perform recently at a foreign military trial, and it looked very nice.

The SF open tined FH/Mount fit on it, but as I saw above the CM barrels are threaded differently (weird)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine. I already had the Leupy and Larue mount so I thought I would give them a try. I can't get to the range until Memorial Day weekend so no rounds down range yet. I have the KAC mag that came with it, some Pmags and a few leftover DPMS mags to try.

LMT308WIPLeupy.jpg
</div></div>

Any report on the PMags?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI the 5R SS barrels in the MWS really shoot.

I had a chance to see one perform recently at a foreign military trial, and it looked very nice.

The SF open tined FH/Mount fit on it, but as I saw above the CM barrels are threaded differently (weird) </div></div>Yep, now I'm way more excited that I thought was possible. Still waiting.
frown.gif

Have they made any other barrel options available besides the 16"?

I spoke with LMT just prior to purchasing mine about 3 weeks ago. They will be offering other barrel lengths and calibers (260 was specificly mentioned). No definitive time line on anything aside from being told 18" SS 5r later this summer.

Spare barrels available now, no idea on cost but the idea of getting the 5r and chopping the 16" CM barrel has crossed my mind.

I also spoke with GAP, was told no problem spinning up a barrel using the (proprietary) barrel extention from the existing barrel and whatever blank you desire, however at the moment they are not taking in any new AR work.

Seriously, I'm drooling over this rifle. So you can essentially have a switchbarrel gas gun, one with a heavier 18" barrel or a 14.5" pinned barrel for a CQB scenario? And there's also talk about a 260 version as well?

I may have to start saving my pennies again.

Reading this topic and seeing all the pics of these rifles make me wish mine would just show up already!!!

So what is the "actual" price people are seeing on these when they see one on the shelf at a store?
16"?
18"?
I just want to be sure I am reading this right, not being critical....
but the majority seems to be of the opinion that the trigger could be better?
and that the stock is not the best choice for precision work?
So we are talking about paying $2500-$3000 for a rifle that needs another $500 worth of mods to make it more ergonomic and it still is not guaranteed sub-moa? or is it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">see one on the shelf at a store? 16"?</div></div>

For now yes. The stock is personal preference.

It is Sub MOA capable off the shelf.

The selling point for me was barrel swap option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stillbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what is the "actual" price people are seeing on these when they see one on the shelf at a store?
16"?
18"?
So we are talking about paying $2500-$3000 for a rifle that needs another $500 worth of mods to make it more ergonomic and it still is not guaranteed sub-moa? or is it? </div></div>

The trigger is as good as an armalite or other similar type two stage just not as good as a Geissele. If you dont like the stock you can pop it off and get $150 for it no problem and get what ever you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Army Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine. I already had the Leupy and Larue mount so I thought I would give them a try. I can't get to the range until Memorial Day weekend so no rounds down range yet. I have the KAC mag that came with it, some Pmags and a few leftover DPMS mags to try.

LMT308WIPLeupy.jpg
</div></div>

Any report on the PMags? </div></div>

I have not had any malfunctions using 308 Pmags but I only have a 100 rounds through my LMT 308. I have not had any malfunctions at all with mine.

Have 120 rounds down mine, all 5 FTF's were caused by lack of powder
frown.gif
thats what I get for cranking out 500 rounds on a progressive in one sitting.

So my fuck ups aside I have had no problems at all with mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stillbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what is the "actual" price people are seeing on these when they see one on the shelf at a store?
16"?
18"?
So we are talking about paying $2500-$3000 for a rifle that needs another $500 worth of mods to make it more ergonomic and it still is not guaranteed sub-moa? or is it? </div></div>

Local shop has one at MAP cost (2797.00)

As mentioned already the take off parts can be easily sold to fund replacements or at least offset a large portion of the cost.

Not sure where the accuracy question comes into play. From what I have seen thus far all of the ones that have made it into private hands are shooting very well with match ammo. IMO the 175 is a good pairing for the 1/10 barrel.

Im seeking more info on the longer barrle option talked about here, and time line. And if LMT will follow through on that option. Many of you have already talked with LMT, or have first hand knowlage on a professional level. I fully understand once a company gets that nice Gov. contract, the Civ market takes a back seat till the order is filled. So the wait is not the issue.

Also is the option of the SS 16" barrle worth paying that much extra to have? And is it the 5R SS? looking for the pro's and con's for each of the present barrle options. IE: barrle life and grouping.

I look forward, as well Im sure other are, to hearing more from those of you that already have their rifles in hand. Good shooting.

Boris,

I talked with Ryan Johnson at LMT Sales for a while, this is the info he gave me:

He expects the 18" SS barrels to be available "late fall" and price point between $600-$900.

hope that helps!

September/October is what they told me as well.

Regarding the contract and how it impacts the civi market its a non issue IMO. They didnt start releasing rifles to the public untill the contract was filled aside from that this is LMT and not their first rodeo in regards to mass production. You would be surprised at how many AR parts sold by other companies are in fact made by LMT.

IMO the 18" 5r is worth having I donno if a 16" 5r really brings much to to table. Reason I say this is accuracy with the chrome lined 16" has been excellent and the 5r should yield a few more FPS but personaly I would rather have 5r and 2" more to use the rifle for longer ranges. May not be everybodys plan but mine from the start was to get the 18" 5r and use it for long range and chop the 16" (that it came with) back and have a Noveske KFX pinned on. This ability/versatility was a big selling point for me YMMV.

In the email I recived from Mr. Johnson, he said that the company was not only going to produce the 18" blackend SS 5R barrles, but also a crome lined 13"

With my deployments for the rest of this year. Waitting for such a quality product will be much easyer. And any additional wait for a 18" 5r, will be hot fudge on an already outstanding treat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow glad I got mine before the price increase!!!! I want to hear that kid talk trash now about "Im getting mine for $2030.00 from my dealer"

Haha i doubt he is getting one for $1303 below mark up!!!!! </div></div>

Whitaker's in Kentucky was selling them for $2010. They sold the last one this morning according to the gentleman I spoke to today. Dammit, always a day late! Guess there goes your theory.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56909

My MWS ordered at Shot Show came yesterday. Threw a Knous 4-16 M30 on it and headed to the range. It was the only used scope at the store. I have owned several AR-10 style (AR10T) weapons and have had problems with function. I'm going on 40rds with zero malfunctions hopefully this is a good sign. The Brits said it beat all other rifle tested in function and accuracy. Including the HK417. I ordered a Nightforce 2.5-10 compact and an ADM mount for it today. It is worthy of good glass even with an MG barrel.

Here is the first group with a box of XM118 I had on hand. The Flyer was the first round. Other groups looked the same. Quarter sized 5 shot groups. And yes I know my table is dusty. Too much time at the range!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Only problem with the rifle is the 5/8 24 shank is a bit long for most flash hiders with out a washer. AAC blackout mount bottomed out on the inside of the mount. My Cyclone threads perfect but have not fired it with it on yet. Good tight lock up with one good snap.

Thats odd, I just installed an SEI Vortex/DC flash hider and it went on just fine. I installed it as per SEI directions, hand tight and no washer.

Any idea what the four "Bumps" are on the end of the muzzle? Thought it was carbon build up but its the metal of the barrel, never seen anything like it before.

Spoke with an inside sales rep at LMT today. Got a chance to pick his brain about the 5R.

Confirmed hits at 1300M with 16" 5R over in the sand box.
5R will cost between 600-900 dollars ballpark when released this summer.
His groups with the 16 chrome were .93 at 200yds (Military ammo).
Chrome barrel gun is test fired at factory 20-30 rounds and need no breaking in.
Bolt carrier has a proprietary coating.
His best guess is that the chrome barrel is a 5/8ths moa barrel. But has seen much better from some customers.
Maybe Sept for the 5R barrel release.

The salesman is going to shoot the 5R next week at the range and will email me his personal range report results. Cool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few more days and your wait is over my friend
wink.gif
</div></div>Sadly i'm still waiting. I'm still getting the 2100.00 price but the weight is killing me. I ordered in Feb.

Put an Aimpoint on to sight it in at 25yds and then move the iron sights to Witness. Can't wait for the nightforce to come from Mike @ CS..

Round count over 100 without fail. Did I mention the trigger is too sweet! I love being an LMT dealer!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few more days and your wait is over my friend
wink.gif
</div></div>Sadly i'm still waiting. I'm still getting the 2100.00 price but the weight is killing me. I ordered in Feb. </div></div>

Buy one off gunbroker for 2500 and sell yours when it comes in on GB for 2500. Problem solved. People are snapping them up on GB for 2.5k all day long. You could have your new rifle in a few days.

I know this has probably been answered but I can't seem to find it, is the LMT MWS .308 or 7.62x51?

The reason I'm asking is I have a lot of 7.62x51 ammo and have narrowed my rifle purchase down to the DPMS SASS 7.62x51mm or the LMT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: awmp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know this has probably been answered but I can't seem to find it, is the LMT MWS .308 or 7.62x51?

The reason I'm asking is I have a lot of 7.62x51 ammo and have narrowed my rifle purchase down to the DPMS SASS 7.62x51mm or the LMT. </div></div>

.308 and will shoot either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: awmp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know this has probably been answered but I can't seem to find it, is the LMT MWS .308 or 7.62x51?

The reason I'm asking is I have a lot of 7.62x51 ammo and have narrowed my rifle purchase down to the DPMS SASS 7.62x51mm or the LMT. </div></div>

.308 is the inch measurement
7.62x51 is the metric measurement

close to the same thing.......