• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Once more, this is not a knock on LMT, I love my rifle very much and hope this doesn't turn into a pissing contest with somebody who throws it in their pelican case and shoots at a concrete range on weekends and says their rifle is flawless. I only posted this for informational purposes and hopefully others can learn from what I have experience. If anyone has any questions about what has happened please feel free to PM me.

Very valuable info from somebody that uses the hell out of the rifle that I have. Super accurate description of weekend concrete bench shooters too because that's me with the exception of the handful of times a year I stretch it out on the family property because that's all I have time for lol.

I plan on picking up a 6.5 creed barrel with the knowledge that if accuracy doesn't please me I have options.

rookie mistake, just got my 13.5 barrel, bought a KAC QDC MAMS for it i didnt realize that i bought the wrong barrel threading on the KAC MAMS. The lmt Barrel threading is 5/8x24 and the brake is 3/4 x 24. I picked up a barrel thread adapter in order to make it fit and im wondering if this will have any negative effects on the rifle?

just picked up a sweet deal on a new 13.5 inch barrel the heavy one for 350 . i will be using the Socom RC 7.62 can on it . do you guys recommend going with the Warcomp or the 3 Prog for it .. also i currently use the 16 inch setup with a UBR i am thinking it might be better to go back to the Sopmod . i also have had issues with mine getting hung up with FTE/FTF i sent it back and i already had the Slash heavy buffer and spring in it . Gene said he polished the ramp and checked everything out and told me it was the softest shooting MWS he had ever shot . i don't do really long shooting so i wanted this set up for inside 400 ish yards or so .. should i keep my Slash heavy buffer and spring in the Sopmod with the 13.5 setup or swap it to something different.

Thanks Guys,
Jason

I never found the Slash buffer to be worth a shit.
I would try it with the factory buffer and spring first and see how it runs.
I’m running the SOCOM RC on my MWS with a 16” barrel and the stock buffer and spring.
It runs 100%, smooth, pitches the brass at 3:00.

Definitely post a pic when you get it together. Sounds like a sweet setup.

I have been researching AR308 rifles for a while.. I have decided on the LMT LM8 with 18” SS barrel.. Can you guys make a suggestion of a dealer that offers the best price and service? I love supporting my local gun shop but they don’t have LMT.. It would actually be nice to see one in person first.. I’m in Central NC..

I have been researching AR308 rifles for a while.. I have decided on the LMT LM8 with 18” SS barrel.. Can you guys make a suggestion of a dealer that offers the best price and service? I love supporting my local gun shop but they don’t have LMT.. It would actually be nice to see one in person first.. I’m in Central NC..

A few things I can help with

-Just talked with LMT last week and they said basically (if I understood him correctly) that any gun shop can order from them. Prices will be on LMT's website.

-The only place I've seen them for less than their website and had them in stock was Brownells. I picked up my Sharpshooter from them for a few hundy less than MSRP price. They also have complete lowers for $899-not the MARS one keep in mind but the older one that doesn't have the bolt catch/release on right side and bigger trigger area.

-Can't help with local shops where you can handle one other than that LMT's website has a search feature by zipcode. Funny when I entered my zip I had never heard of any of the shops but YMMV.

-I don't see any of their complete rifles with an 18" ss barrel but again I didn't exhaustively search.

-Keep an eye on their 12 days of Christmas deals on the main page of their website. In particular that last few days they are offering 2 .308 barrels and a slick MWS upper for huge discounts. Might be able to build your own with upper and a barrel-then pick up a lower either complete or build your own. Throw in a BCG-charging handle-sights, and you're good to go

A few things I can help with

-Just talked with LMT last week and they said basically (if I understood him correctly) that any gun shop can order from them. Prices will be on LMT's website.

-The only place I've seen them for less than their website and had them in stock was Brownells. I picked up my Sharpshooter from them for a few hundy less than MSRP price. They also have complete lowers for $899-not the MARS one keep in mind but the older one that doesn't have the bolt catch/release on right side and bigger trigger area.

-Can't help with local shops where you can handle one other than that LMT's website has a search feature by zipcode. Funny when I entered my zip I had never heard of any of the shops but YMMV.

-I don't see any of their complete rifles with an 18" ss barrel but again I didn't exhaustively search.

-Keep an eye on their 12 days of Christmas deals on the main page of their website. In particular that last few days they are offering 2 .308 barrels and a slick MWS upper for huge discounts. Might be able to build your own with upper and a barrel-then pick up a lower either complete or build your own. Throw in a BCG-charging handle-sights, and you're good to go
Much appreciated for you typing that dude.. I’ll take a look at their 12 days of Christmas..

tenor.gif

I can't read the entire thread, but does somebody recall if there is any factory ammo known to shoot especially well in the 6.5 24" version? I've broken the gun inwith Prime, and it shoots an inch or so, perhaps slightly better, which is fine for me with this gun, but are there any really great known matches? I don't feel like messing with semi auto brass dings, so I'd like not to load for it myself.

I can't read the entire thread, but does somebody recall if there is any factory ammo known to shoot especially well in the 6.5 24" version? I've broken the gun inwith Prime, and it shoots an inch or so, perhaps slightly better, which is fine for me with this gun, but are there any really great known matches? I don't feel like messing with semi auto brass dings, so I'd like not to load for it myself.

I don’t think many of us have the 24” Creedmoor barrel yet. I’m shooting under an inch with Hornady American Gunner 140gr. It’s all I’ve run through it but if you go back a page or two I’ve posted some groups. For the cost vs performance of this ammo I’m not sure it’s worth going down the rabbit hole for tighter groups.

Reactions: Puget Shooter

Currently in the process myself. May be a while before I can get good ammo with shelling out black Friday cash etc etc etc so my routine of buying ~$100-200 worth of ammo every month is a little out of kilter. I'm a caliber minimalist as well so plenty of 556/308 of all quality levels and this is my first 6.5cm.

All I have right now is S&B 140gr FMJ BT which is decent range ammo-getting 1.5 MOA @100yds. About 2.5MOA @200yds, all 10 shots on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper @300yds and bad holdover information on 400yds so not on paper.

I have all of these targets but no pics. I'm just an average at best shooter. Off of a bench with rear bag.

I need to get some match ammo as I don't reload and the LMT beats 7 shades of dog shiate out of the brass. Will post when I have more info.

I need to get some match ammo as I don't reload and the LMT beats 7 shades of dog shiate out of the brass. Will post when I have more info.

I found the 24" Creedmoor barrel does not work the brass over near as much as the 16" 308 Barrel did. I'm running the factory spring, and an MGI Rate Reducing buffer in mine. The H3 wasn't heavy enough with the 16" 308 and I didn't change in when I installed the 24" Creedmoor barrel. The thing still throws brass but it's not being abused like it was with the 16" CL 308.

I found the 24" Creedmoor barrel does not work the brass over near as much as the 16" 308 Barrel did. I'm running the factory spring, and an MGI Rate Reducing buffer in mine. The H3 wasn't heavy enough with the 16" 308 and I didn't change in when I installed the 24" Creedmoor barrel. The thing still throws brass but it's not being abused like it was with the 16" CL 308.

Pretty much my observation too with 100% stock H3 buffer etc. Using the 16" 308 barrel it throws brass a mile in a nice pile lol.

Anyone looking for a MWS, Clyde Armory in Athens Ga has 5 of them. All MLok uppers. 2 (1black 1 fde) 16” cl, 2 (1black 1 fde) 18” ss, and a black 6.5creedmore with the 24” barrel. That isn’t too far from NC. IIRC, the prices are in the $32-3400 range.

Anyone looking for a MWS, Clyde Armory in Athens Ga has 5 of them. All MLok uppers. 2 (1black 1 fde) 16” cl, 2 (1black 1 fde) 18” ss, and a black 6.5creedmore with the 24” barrel. That isn’t too far from NC. IIRC, the prices are in the $32-3400 range.

Thanks for the heads up!

I don’t think many of us have the 24” Creedmoor barrel yet. I’m shooting under an inch with Hornady American Gunner 140gr. It’s all I’ve run through it but if you go back a page or two I’ve posted some groups. For the cost vs performance of this ammo I’m not sure it’s worth going down the rabbit hole for tighter groups.

I ran a bunch of different factory stuff through it this weekend. Hornady Precision Hunter 143 and Federal Sierra Matchking both shot well under an inch consistently. Federal Nosler Accubond was just over an inch, Prime was 2 inches or so and Federal Berger OTM looked like a shotgun. For my purposes, I like to shoot the gun, but we also use it for predator control, the fact that the 143 ELD-x shoots so well is perfect. Except, of course, for the price, but it is good stuff. Mine had a strong, obvious preference for 140+ over 130s.

Also, 2710fps SD 8.9!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rasyad
I have some Sellier and Bellot-140gr fmjbt-OK ammo but great brass. I'm getting 1-2 moa with it. I'm just an OK shooter. 24" 6.5 cm barrel LMT MWS.

1st image 400yds and 3rd is 300yds off bench w/bipod and rear bag. 25f windy and snowing today.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    437.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    421.2 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: Mdp777
Just a heads up-LMT has MWS barrels-16" chrome plate and 18" 20" SS on sale for today at unbeatable prices:

https://lmtdefense.com/?s=xmas2018

Free ship too. Merry Christmas (if applicable)

edit-fixed length of SS offered in sale from 18" to 20".
OK, I’m gonna murder you fuckers!! Lol. The build begins.. just took the plunge on the 20” ss.. gonna do LM8.. my first large bore gas gun.. hope I’m happy!
Merry Christmas!

For the non-MARS lowers Brownells has them for $899. Not in stock often but you can backorder and from what I've seen doesn't take forever to fulfill. The get them in stock but sell quickly. For MARS lowers I haven't really seen any deals or much availability. I called LMT a few weeks ago and they said basically your local gun shop can order them. I inquired about the DMR MARS lower with LMT fixed stock-they were out but the dude said they could take lower with adjustable and simply put the fixed one on.

Link for the upper for $599-price takes effect midnight tonight
https://lmtdefense.com/parts/lm308bs1

BTW Primary Arms has the BCG at the cheapest price I've ever seen anywhere. Normally they're $429. Going by the pic and cross referencing part number to LMT's website it looks to be a full auto one-which according to the LMT dude most people want for the extra mass to combat the over gassing. I have not personal data on that as all of mine are semi.

https://www.primaryarms.com/lewis-machine-and-tool-308-bolt-carrier-group

Reactions: Rasay
Dang.. that’s a good price
I guess The advantage of going to LMT, is they can match the bolt to the barrel

My LMT MWS story,

I have two LMT MWS guns. I bought my first MWS before Obama made it so valuable. I sold it for a small fortune, it was a MOA gun in 308 with CL 16 inch barrel.

Bought a another FDE slick side with "lightweight barrel" it was a 1.5 Moa gun. A friend gave me his spare 308 barrel as he bought he 308 and then 6.5 barrel and only runs his LMT in 6.5, has a HK for his 308 purposes. That barrel is a sub Moa barrel so I sold the other.

I then bought a a 6.5 barrel and started running it, its sub Moa then got frustrated with the changing back and forth and bought a stripped MARS lower and stripped upper and built out my 308 again. I used Clints Heavy buffer rifle system and it ejects at 3:00.

Both my MWS guns are sub Moa and I love them. I occasionally get a malfunctioned with American Gunner ammo in 6.5, but my 308 has never malt'd. I am very happy with my LMT MWS systems.

PB

Reactions: The DFC
LMT has not suggested that a different bolt or BC is required for a barrel/caliber swap. I used the original bolt and BC when I switched from .308 to 6.5 but the .308 was only fired a few times. My 6.5 is around 250 rounds now and is an absolute tack driver. If I switch back to the .308 or get a new 6.5 bbl, I'm thinking of getting at least a new bolt to go with the new barrel. Any thoughts?

LMT has not suggested that a different bolt or BC is required for a barrel/caliber swap. I used the original bolt and BC when I switched from .308 to 6.5 but the .308 was only fired a few times. My 6.5 is around 250 rounds now and is an absolute tack driver. If I switch back to the .308 or get a new 6.5 bbl, I'm thinking of getting at least a new bolt to go with the new barrel. Any thoughts?

I haven't always kept to my own advice but I prefer to keep a bolt matched with an extension. They'll wear together

I like to have a bcg for every upper/barrel combo so they wear with same barrel ext and receiver. I don't change barrels unless I'm replacing-which I haven't had to do yet. Gets expensive though o_O

Parts availability and DIY is what made me choose LMT over KAC. Having to send a rifle to the factory or a certified KAC armorer for something as simple as a barrel swap is ludicrous. Granted you’re looking at $1k for a spare barrel and bcg, but it’s a 5 min job.

Reactions: GhostFace
Does anyone here know if there is a way to tell if a chrome-lined MWS barrel is one of the early Mike Rock era barrels?

About 2012/13 or so is when LMT started with thier own barrels - IIRC. Doesn't really matter. The LMT barrels are about as hit and miss (no pun) as the Rock bbls as far as I can tell. You'll usually get an moa or better out of either with the SS bbls getting - maybe, a slight edge - right ammo. My moa bbls have gone for huge discounts and my sub moa bbls I've hung on to. I've had 4 total - 1 chrome .308 moaish bbl sold as a blaster - 1 SS .308 sold for being a meh 1 moa bbl - 1 SS .308 that's 3/4 to occassional 1/2 moa I'm keeping. And, 1 6.5 CM (LMT) bbl that is an absolute hammer. Just my .02...

I haven't posted in awhile and wanted to update my story. I bought my MWS back in 2013 and was quite happy with the 16" CL .308 barrel, it manages a hair under an MOA at 100y. I bought their 7-08 barrel and was NOT very happy. In fact I shot my Benelli M4 side by side at 100y and the 7-08 barrel did NOT outperform. In 2014 I contacted LMT customer support about my bad barrel and they stated that they had just started cutting 5R barrels in house; however, the pulled 7-08s would not be available going forward. They apologized for the barrel and sent me a stainless cut 5R .308 in 11.25:1 AND a 6.5 built to the same match grade standards. Sometime shortly thereafter I shot the 6.5 and found that the 140 ELDs shot around .6 MOA and shelved the gun for nearly 5 years; my primary .308 is an OBR that I have FINALLY shot the barrel out of (north of 10,000 rounds and still printing 1 MOA at 100y but the long range shots are done).

After sifting through the Hide I saw this thread and thought I should shoot the .308 barrel. I also found a box of Tubbs Final Finish rounds and decided to run them through the gun before shooting groups. Today I shot A LOT of groups at 100y in the .6-.7 MOA range. I will say this, the platform is EXTREMELY sensitive to bipod pre-load (don't do it). If I wanted to string a .5MOA wide and 4" tall group I would apply A LOT of pre-load. My best groups were shot with no pre-load, medium cheek and grip pressure.

Happy as a clam. Will shoot it to 600y tomorrow. Still need to get the OBR back up, man I am gonna miss that LW50 barrel.
IMG_4893.jpg
IMG_4894.jpg

I find fascinating that your LMT hates a loaded bipod.

Are otherLMT shooters finding similar results with bipod load??

No. Mine shoots a tad better with the bipod loaded than unloaded. This is with both the 16”cl 308 and 18” ss 308 barrels. Just goes to show that every rifle has its own preferences.

I always shoot with some load on the bipod. I am more comfortable shooting with it loaded which I think translates into better shooting. I tend to load more on the concrete bench than I do shooting prone on ground.

My experience mirrors the two posters above.
I get the best results by loading the bipod on my MWS.

Bipod or bag seems about the same for me. But, shoulder, cheek (and grip) pressure must be identical when striving for 1/2 moa. I can usually do better at that with my non grip hand than solely loading the bipod.

Finally....

Ordered this guy in 2012 prior to the Newtown panic and in the midst of the LMT craze....

P2028412.JPG

I was just getting back into shooting after a long layoff and silly me thought I would buy one pistol and one "precision" rifle and my needs would be satisfied. Beware the man that owns one gun - well two because you need to have a handgun and a rifle.

I put a Magpul PSR stock on it and dicked around with loads. I quickly found that semi automatic wasnt going to give me what I was looking for and since 2012 I have piled on a bunch of bolt rifles and they way more readily give me what I was seeking in a rifle.

Sure two guns.......

Anyway after getting a chrono and determining where I want to be for speed I think Im finally getting to a happy place with this rifle.

P2028413.JPG

Forget the top left target, seems the shooter or rifle had to settle in before it found a groove.

Im bringing this thing back to what it should be.

Dumped the Magpul stock for the LMT SOPMOD and the baseball bat of a scope will soon be departing for a USO 1-8X.

Slim this pig down and give it some "inside 1000 yards" capability I think its a great tool to have in the bag.

Finally....

Ordered this guy in 2012 prior to the Newtown panic and in the midst of the LMT craze....

View attachment 7017004

I was just getting back into shooting after a long layoff and silly me thought I would buy one pistol and one "precision" rifle and my needs would be satisfied. Beware the man that owns one gun - well two because you need to have a handgun and a rifle.

I put a Magpul PSR stock on it and dicked around with loads. I quickly found that semi automatic wasnt going to give me what I was looking for and since 2012 I have piled on a bunch of bolt rifles and they way more readily give me what I was seeking in a rifle.

Sure two guns.......

Anyway after getting a chrono and determining where I want to be for speed I think Im finally getting to a happy place with this rifle.

View attachment 7017005

Forget the top left target, seems the shooter or rifle had to settle in before it found a groove.

Im bringing this thing back to what it should be.

Dumped the Magpul stock for the LMT SOPMOD and the baseball bat of a scope will soon be departing for a USO 1-8X.

Slim this pig down and give it some "inside 1000 yards" capability I think its a great tool to have in the bag.

It’s kind of funny, I started out with my MWS in a configuration that you’re moving to, and ended with a configuration that you’re moving away from.

I originally had the 16” chrome lined barrel, a USO SR-8C and the SOPMOD stock on mine.
It now has a 16” stainless barrel, a 4-16 F1 ATACR, and the LMT fixed stock.

Got to love a gun that fills so many different roles so well.

Reactions: pmclaine
It’s kind of funny, I started out with my MWS in a configuration that you’re moving to, and ended with a configuration that you’re moving away from.

I originally had the 16” chrome lined barrel, a USO SR-8C and the SOPMOD stock on mine.
It now has a 16” stainless barrel, a 4-16 F1 ATACR, and the LMT fixed stock.

Got to love a gun that fills so many different roles so well.

I also put my LMT CQB on a diet.

The 1-8X for the MWS is coming off the little rifle having been replaced by a TA-33 Acog.

At some point in time if I ever wear these barrels Id like to use the extensions for something more premium but for what these rifles are they perform better than should be expected for CLs.

I truly love my bolt actions mo'better but these are fun for just wanging steel or plinking stuff without the drama.

My dilemma now is Ill be in the position of having an unused S&B 5-25 on hand and that just screams out to build some sort of M40A5 inspired rifle perhaps in 30-06.

I picked up a new one with the slick side and upgraded stainless 16" barrel. I only got to shoot a few factory loads so far but it likes Federal Gold Medal 168 and Magtech 168. FGMM was right at 1" 5 rd groups and the Mag. actually shot one group with 4 rds into a very small clover leaf les than 1/2' then I threw one and opened it up to .9". But I am sure it is a shooter and this is factory ammo and only a limited choice so far.