LMT .308 MWS

Junkman768

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2020
Anyone convert a CA maglocked MWS to featureless? What parts did you need to make the ambi magazine release functional on both sides? I bought a previously maglocked gun that was converted before my possession and ambi side button is dead. Doesnt move either way?Not getting a quick response from LMT.

bgrav321

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2017
Just to confirm, I see three buffer listed, which one do I need (omega on an MWS Defender)

CAR-10 Buffer - 5.5 ounces - $100
CAR-10 XH Buffer - 6.5 ounces - $125
XH Carbine Buffer (8.5 oz) w/.308R Buffer Spring - $140

I need the last one right? 8.5oz?

FuSchnicken

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2018
Took my LMT Defender out to the range with a box of Federal Steel Match 155gr BTHP. Rifle shot sub-moa, but had several FTF and one double feed. I am not overly concerned because I don't intend to run steel case and it may have been a mag issue. I am very happy with both the accuracy and the Steiner P4Xi 4-16.

It's going to get a little brother.

Dulo

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
IL
Took my LMT Defender out to the range with a box of Federal Steel Match 155gr BTHP. Rifle shot sub-moa, but had several FTF and one double feed. I am not overly concerned because I don't intend to run steel case and it may have been a mag issue. I am very happy with both the accuracy and the Steiner P4Xi 4-16.

It's going to get a little brother.
Is it a complete rifle or a build? I tried once a box of Tula 150gr just for test and there was no drama.

Speaking of over-gassing, how is your cam pins holding. Mine got a mark which you can actually feel with a fingernail after the first 50 or so rounds, I don't know if I should be worried or it's normal.
Also, is someone running .260 Rem. barrel, it looks like they're in stock right now and I'm tempted to jump into the 6.5 territory. Is the caliber viable option in 2020 or I should wait until mid next year when the 6.5CR barrels will be available (according to LMT)?

majohnson2

Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Front Range, CO
The 260 barrel has a 1-9 twist, where the 6.5 has a 1-8, with the different twist rate I think that why guys have had accuracy problems with the 260 shooting heavier bullets. If you have a barrel that you don’t use, using that barrel extension off that barrel you can have someone fit a different brand of barrel.

If you read my previous posts, I had Mark Chanlynn build a 6CM barrel for me using a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block. It shoots great think bolt gun sub 1/2 moa accuracy in a gas gun. Takes care of the over gas issue that guys mention.

CrabsandFootball

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Man still waiting on my barrel from V1 to finish the MWS 6.5 build.

Also need to decide on trigger. MBS for $75, KAC 2 Stage for $225 or $280 for G Hi speed.

Have all of them but i swear, for the $75 bucks its really hard to beat the Larue Triggers. Not quite as light and short travel as KAC and the Hi speed but its 1/3 the cost and perfectly serviceable.

They are running a special if you buy 3 more more then are $75 and 5 more more $70 each.

CrabsandFootball

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
I own all 3 i just am having trouble justifing the extra expense ( plus its never in stock anywhere) vs the Larue.

Carnifex

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2003
Virginia
Man still waiting on my barrel from V1 to finish the MWS 6.5 build.

Also need to decide on trigger. MBS for $75, KAC 2 Stage for $225 or $280 for G Hi speed.

Have all of them but i swear, for the $75 bucks its really hard to beat the Larue Triggers. Not quite as light and short travel as KAC and the Hi speed but its 1/3 the cost and perfectly serviceable.

They are running a special if you buy 3 more more then are $75 and 5 more more $70 each.
If you’re building a 6.5 precision rig I’d go with the Geissele. I’ve got one in mine and it’s great. There’s one in the PX right now for $210

Mine wouldn’t fit properly with the factory safety however. I put in a Battle Arms Development safety and it fit fine

CrabsandFootball

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Is it a hi speed for $210?

I have had issues with G trigger pins in the past, they are undersized requiring anti walk pins in about 25% i have seen. Not the end of the world but something else to buy and reduces life of trigger componets.

Tono

And...
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Texas
I'm very happy with the Geissele SSA-E that I've been using in my MWS for a few months. You might consider it as another option if you cannot find the Hi Speed.

Just so that you are aware, there was a post that the TriggerTech AR10 trigger has a fit/dimension problem with the MWS. If you were to consider it, you may want to contact TriggerTech first. I was thinking about using the TriggerTech product in my MWS since I'm very happy with the AR15 trigger.

samnev

First Sargeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I've had a Geissele SSA-E trigger in my MWS for at least 8 years and have 10 other AR's with the same trigger. Never had any of the trigger pins walk.

TangoSierra916

Major Hide Member
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've had a Geissele SSA-E trigger in my MWS for at least 8 years and have 10 other AR's with the same trigger. Never had any of the trigger pins walk.
    I've used the SSA-E for a few years across varying platforms without issue. I just bought the SSA-X for the MWS, pretty excited to try it out and feel the differences.

LMT/556

Private
    Hessian
    Minuteman
    Dec 22, 2018
    USA
    How many of you guys own more than one MWS or don’t even have a bolt gun anymore because of am MWS?
    I don't personally own a bolt gun, yet. Two MWS one pic rail, one mlok both ambi. 308 16" CL x2, and 20" 308 SS and 20" 6.5 SS. Toying with selling the pic rail off, but I so like it...

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    How many of you guys own more than one MWS or don’t even have a bolt gun anymore because of am MWS?
    MWS and CQB.

MWS was going to be my one and only "precision" rifle.

Love it for what it is but it made me appreciate bolt guns.

Within my limitations to shoot large frame AR and its ability to shoot its fantastic for what it is.

but......

If I needed to make just one shot........bolt gun.

Reactions: LMT/556

LMT/556

Private
    Hessian
    Minuteman
    Dec 22, 2018
    USA
    MWS and CQB.

MWS was going to be my one and only "precision" rifle.

Love it for what it is but it made me appreciate bolt guns.

Within my limitations to shoot large frame AR and its ability to shoot its fantastic for what it is.

but......

If I needed to make just one shot........bolt gun.
    I was getting frustrated with my 6.5 until I tried Hornady 147 gr ELD Match. One ragged hole vs mostly keeping it within a 1 7/8" blue tape square with American Gunner 140 OTM.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I was getting frustrated with my 6.5 until I tried Hornady 147 gr ELD Match. One ragged hole vs mostly keeping it within a 1 7/8" blue tape square with American Gunner 140 OTM.

Im a glutton for punishment.

I arc em in and went with a bigger recoil impulse in .308.

I feel my 16 inch CL is a consistent 2 MOA rifle.

I havent shot much FGMM though.

It may be a sub MOA gun and I am a 2MOA reloader.

LMT/556

Private
    Hessian
    Minuteman
    Dec 22, 2018
    USA
    Im a glutton for punishment.

I arc em in and went with a bigger recoil impulse in .308.

I feel my 16 inch CL is a consistent 2 MOA rifle.

I havent shot much FGMM though.

It may be a sub MOA gun and I am a 2MOA reloader.
    Up until I tried the 147 gr ELD, I would have told you I shoot my 308 better. I have stock piles of FGMM in both calibers but had only shot CBC 308D and AG 6.5 140 OTM.

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2019
    I took my MWS with a 20" 6.5mm Creedmoor barrel to the range this past Thursday. I had just installed an EZTUNE gas tube and I am getting decent groups with Hornady American Gunner 140gr HPBT. The first 5 shot group was 1.32". All the rest were under 1".

Attachments

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2019
    AG 140 OTM 3x3 vs 147 ELD 5 shots
    How does your fired brass look? The EZTUNE gas tube helped me along with there layers of thick double layer tape on the shell deflector. I am still getting heavy cuts from the internal lugs on the barrel extension.

Also, I find the Hornady AG ammo very dirty and it leaves hard to remove carbon on the BCG and the necks of the fired cases.

LMT/556

Private
    Hessian
    Minuteman
    Dec 22, 2018
    USA
    How does your fired brass look? The EZTUNE gas tube helped me along with there layers of thick double layer tape on the shell deflector. I am still getting heavy cuts from the internal lugs on the barrel extension.

Also, I find the Hornady AG ammo very dirty and it leaves hard to remove carbon on the BCG and the necks of the fired cases.
    It gets beat, all stock LMT...