• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Thanks man. I haven’t gotten it out to the range yet. Just got this together last week. I am curious to see if the velocities on the 24 tho. Ill Be running either the 140’s or 147’s.

what are you getting out of your 20” ?
FWIW, I'm getting 2,665fps from Black Hills 139gr Scenars in 260REM in my 20" LMT MWS that clock 2,755fps out of my 23" GAP bolt gun. That works out to about 30fps per inch change for the 3" difference in barrel length. The LMT 260 is a 1-9 twist unlike their 6.5CM, so I'm stuck with the 130gr pills for best accuracy. I see slightly larger drops in velocity with the 130gr Berger Hybrid OTM factory loads - 2,745fps in the 20" LMT vs 2,855 in the 23" GAP bolt gun.

Reactions: HogsLife
FWIW, I'm getting 2,665fps from Black Hills 139gr Scenars in 260REM in my 20" LMT MWS that clock 2,755fps out of my 23" GAP bolt gun. That works out to about 30fps per inch change for the 3" difference in barrel length. The LMT 260 is a 1-9 twist unlike their 6.5CM, so I'm stuck with the 130gr pills for best accuracy. I see slightly larger drops in velocity with the 130gr Berger Hybrid OTM factory loads - 2,745fps in the 20" LMT vs 2,855 in the 23" GAP bolt gun.

Thats really not bad velocity loss going from 23 inch bolt gun to a 20 inch gas gun. the 2650 is very usable on the East coast

Reactions: HogsLife
Started a thread on this and then realized I should have just posted it here:

anyone have any experience with the LMT lightweight 16” barrels? Specifically, curious what the accuracy difference between the chrome and stainless versions are likely to be?

Gotta ask @blbennett1288 he's doing the beta testing for me 🤣
Yeah…about that…Unfortunately if I have to throw a 10” can on a 16” barrel to get it to do what I want on a semi auto…that’s going to be a hard pass. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I had higher expectations for the BRT EZTune, it was a noticeable upgrade from the factory, but it is still grossly overgassed.

At this point I am thinking about starting over with a different system or rebarreling. Plenty accurate with a brake on it, just not what I am looking for at the moment

Reactions: Huskydriver
Yeah…about that…Unfortunately if I have to throw a 10” can on a 16” barrel to get it to do what I want on a semi auto…that’s going to be a hard pass. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I had higher expectations for the BRT EZTune, it was a noticeable upgrade from the factory, but it is still grossly overgassed.

At this point I am thinking about starting over with a different system or rebarreling. Plenty accurate with a brake on it, just not what I am looking for at the moment

Did I already ask you what port size you went with?

Roger, makes sense. Im still digesting this thread and others. But if im jumping into the MWS game with the goal of shooting both 7.62 and 6.5CM suppressed, are there some hard fast things to avoid? or is it just going to be a bit of experimentation?

Roger, makes sense. Im still digesting this thread and others. But if im jumping into the MWS game with the goal of shooting both 7.62 and 6.5CM suppressed, are there some hard fast things to avoid? or is it just going to be a bit of experimentation?
I think having a low back pressure can would help a good bit and go a long way. From my research that would be OSS, Surefire, and Dead Air for semi autos. But even with that and proper buffer weights it’s still going to be overgassed.

Personally, I would recommend experimenting with one and getting it to your satisfaction before trying to get both running up to standard. I have about pulled my hair out trying to get the MWS to run up to standard with the Dominus

Reactions: chrome

What can are you running?

I think having a low back pressure can would help a good bit and go a long way. From my research that would be OSS, Surefire, and Dead Air for semi autos. But even with that and proper buffer weights it’s still going to be overgassed.

Personally, I would recommend experimenting with one and getting it to your satisfaction before trying to get both running up to standard. I have about pulled my hair out trying to get the MWS to run up to standard with the Dominus

Good gouge, thanks. I do have a SF FA762ss in the rotation. I'll keep digging.

Gotta ask @blbennett1288 he's doing the beta testing for me 🤣
So, I had contacted BRT a while back about which tube to use since I was already was using a clints xtra heavy buffer (8.5 oz) with my sico hybrid. He recommended I use the unsuppressed tube with the xh buffer.

I put 50 rounds through it yesterday. Felt recoil is down marginally, gas is now almost zero with standard lmt CH, brass is ejecting at 3 and is ~80% cleaner. Overall, im happy with the system as it is now. I will take out my factory lw 13" barrel with normal gas tube and compare them maybe next weekend.

20210712_195757.jpg

Snapchat-930924173.jpg

Is the tribal knowledge still if you intend on shooting primarily suppressed, to go with a FA Bolt carrier? or is that immaterial, and/or better addressed with buffer/buffer spring and gas tubes?

Is the tribal knowledge still if you intend on shooting primarily suppressed, to go with a FA Bolt carrier? or is that immaterial, and/or better addressed with buffer/buffer spring and gas tubes?

I picked up the FA carrier for a second upper and there is really not much more mass on the carrier, I would not recommend picking one up if you already have the standard carrier. Doesnt hurt, especially if you are putting an MWS together from parts

the last time I was back in the states, I ran slashes x buffer and spring combo with my dead air can and it was a great combo. with that being said, I did not try the LMT H3 and spring combo so I can not say if it ran better or worse.

I here that people like the BRT tubes and they make sense. Espeically if one has a higher pressure can.

I think the number one solution, is running running the right can for that application. Going from a High Pressure Gemtech GMT300WM do a DA Sandman was a night and day difference. That's unfortunately the most expensive and longest option. The high pressure can worked fine on the longer rifle length gas system.

Semi Left, FA Right

Seen some LMT 6.5 barrels pop up recently.

Are those OEM barrels availability/demand/pricing reflecting the current capability of sending barrels to to smiths with your MWS upper to custom fit pretty much any barrel?

Seen some LMT 6.5 barrels pop up recently.

Are those OEM barrels availability/demand/pricing reflecting the current capability of sending barrels to to smiths with your MWS upper to custom fit pretty much any barrel?
The 6.5CM OEM pricing for barrels popping up is due to the scarcity of LMT parts.

I only know of 2 smiths that do LMT MWS conversions. One needs a sacrificial barrel to take the extension from. The second makes their own extensions. Either way it comes out cheaper than some of these 6.5CM LMT barrels I see popping up on AR15 and here.

Last edited:
I stand to be corrected, but there are a few smiths that I believe have done MWS bbls with most probably needing the collar. Jeff Hayes, Zach Tannen, Mark Chanlynn, D.Wilson, Marvin Pitts… Probably more guys than we know of, but the ones I know of do excellent work.
Listed factory barrel prices here and other places are asinine for the price some are asking…

I stand to be corrected, but there are a few smiths that I believe have done MWS bbls with most probably needing the collar. Jeff Hayes, Zach Tannen, Mark Chanlynn, D.Wilson, Marvin Pitts… Probably more guys than we know of, but the ones I know of do excellent work.
Listed factory barrel prices here and other places are asinine for the price some are asking…
I forgot about Rivers Bend and Mark Chanlynn. From what I have been able to find D Wilson will do MRPs but no longer MWS. Marvin Pitts, to my knowledge, is the only one that doesn’t require the factory collar.

Any feedback on the difference of barrels from LMT?
They offer both SS and chromelined, assuming the SS barrel is better, but do anyone have any experience to share?

Any feedback on the difference of barrels from LMT?
They offer both SS and chromelined, assuming the SS barrel is better, but do anyone have any experience to share?
I've had great experiences with both lining options. The SS have been a bit more precise but the chrome lined have shot great in 7.62 as well. I think either option is solid, just depends on length, weight and caliber you're going for IMO.

Hey all, I’m having some real difficulty with my MWS. Here’s my build:

- LMT MARS-H lower
- LMT MWS 15.5” upper
- LMT 7.62 chrome-lined 16” barrel
- Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 in a Geissele mount
- Geissele SSA-E trigger
- Form 1 can while Sandman S is still in jail

Of note, I’m still running an Aero 308 BCG until my September allocation LMT BCG comes through from V1 tactical.

I’m having very large groups, ~5 moa, even with good ammo. I have a box of 168gr FGMM on order so I still need to try that.

So my question is, would that Aero BCG poorly affect accuracy that much?

Additionally, I did shoot about 70 rounds of some hotter hand loads that my uncle gave me before I realized I was blowing primers. Would that damage the barrel and then cause my accuracy issues?

Reactions: 4thandbleek

- LMT MARS-H lower
- LMT MWS 15.5” upper
- Geissele SSA-E trigger

Of note, I’m still running an Aero 308 BCG until my September allocation LMT BCG comes through from V1 tactical.

I’m having very large groups, ~5 moa, even with good ammo. I have a box of 168gr FGMM on order so I still need to try that.

Additionally, I did shoot about 70 rounds of some hotter hand loads that my uncle gave me before I realized I was blowing primers. Would that damage the barrel and then cause my accuracy issues?
My guess would be a combination of the form 1 can and the factory gas tube. Try shooting unsuppressed and report back.

Are you seeing random placement of shots or all lateral/vertical spread?

have you checked to make sure the barrel bolts are torqued to spec?
There isn’t any specific pattern to the groups. Bolts are torqued to spec.

So you’re saying it wouldn’t be the bolt or those super hot rounds that I put through it earlier?

Reactions: 4thandbleek

- LMT MARS-H lower
- LMT MWS 15.5” upper
- Geissele SSA-E trigger

You might be 5 moa shooter. But I’d check the scope as well as well as everything else mentioned

Reactions: Jsp556
Sorry I should have mentioned that. When shooting unsuppressed, I’m sitting at about 3-4 MOA.
Its hard to say since your mws is currently a mix master, but the improvement in groups once the can was pulled seems to indicated that something funky may be going on with the muzzle device. I had a friend that screwed on a two port break on an AK once and even though the new mount was making any contact with the rounds, the impact was thrown like 6 feet to the right.

to test this I would recommend, pulling the muzzle device, and shooting a couple groups from a good support position and see what shakes out. Also, when was the last time the barrel was cleaned? Generally speaking most standard LMT CL barrels are good for around MOA.

Other thinks to verify, Optic and ring torque, Barrel Torque

Do you have access to any spare barrels, you maybe able to isolate if its a barrel issue or it may be something with the AP Bolt

Reactions: Jsp556
The 6.5CM OEM pricing for barrels popping up is due to the scarcity of LMT parts.

I only know of 2 smiths that do LMT MWS conversions. One needs a sacrificial barrel to take the extension from. The second makes their own extensions. Either way it comes out cheaper than some of these 6.5CM LMT barrels I see popping up on AR15 and here.
Which smith is able to convert MWS barrels without a sacrificial extension?

Do you know if you need to send in a gas block and tube along with the blank, or just the blank?
You don’t send in a blank, just a AR10 prefit. He machines and installs the extension he makes. Unless you are sending in a press fit has block would should be able to do the gas block and tube on your own

I think he turns the shank to a straight contour if needed, installs a sleeve over it, machines to correct dimensions and takes off the index pin. Just like the mrp conversions. I have a 18” 5.56 and 24” 6.5 creedmoor that Marvin did for me. Excellent work.
Do you guys know what the ball park cost is? Looks like they are only on a facebook, I didn't see a price list and don't want to request a quote via e-mail (I'm sure their time is better spent addressing more serious inquiries - I'm not looking to get any work done until next spring).

Do you guys know what the ball park cost is? Looks like they are only on a facebook, I didn't see a price list and don't want to request a quote via e-mail (I'm sure their time is better spent addressing more serious inquiries - I'm not looking to get any work done until next spring).
$185, sent price list in PM

H-265 Flat Dark Earth is right on the money. Guess which is factory and which one I sprayed/baked.

View attachment 7677618
Can’t tell at all. That’s what I’m talking about! Thank ya. Getting a scope/mount sprayed up by CST to match this beauty I picked up from @TangoSierra916 Just need to hunt down a 13.5” 308 barrel now!!
6BA6063F-3F22-46C5-9F1D-EC05EFA28E68.png