• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

Here are the New LMT rifles for 2012. I got the 2012 catalog almost a month ago when I went to LMT in Milan, IL Sorry for the crappy pictures I just took pictures of the catalog. In my opinion I still like the original LMT MWS 308. I like my rails being built in and I like the weight of it.

d1239ec2.jpg

5bf28b5f.jpg

51cc7123.jpg

b70a8237.jpg

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTw4XYUi8UY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoM2iLAZs_g&feature=related

Thanks bro. Ive heard that the LMT 308 16in CL 1:10 likes the FGGM 168g better then the 175s Is that true? What do you guys think? I havent been able to try the different loads yet.

I was going to buy a few hundred rounds of each next week. But If the LMT is known to shoot one load better then the other. I will just pick up more of that load. Any info is appreciated. Im still trying to read all the pages you guys have posted so far. So once again if this info is already on here Im sorry. I am new to this forum.

Thank You

Onemoretime....while I haven't check it at long ranges yet, the 16" CL is a true sub moa barrel, and when I say sub moa, I mean multiple groups of 10rds under moa:) Personally I find it amazing to see a CL 16" barrel shoot as well as this one does. Combine that with the fact that it literally has shot every single type of factory ammo I used thus far at the worst under 2moa makes it an extremely accurate barrel in my eyes.

We didn't measure groups as I was way to happy to just be out there for the first time with the MWS.

I inquired about the .260rem MWS barrel for sale in the EEs and it's a sweet option, however I should be ordering a 6.5cm MWS barrel from LMT once my friend gets back from SHOT.

It's a real luxury going from a 16" CL 800-1000yd .308 AR....to a 20" 6.5cm 5R SS 1200-1400yd AR within 4min. of time.

Lots of nice .308 ARs on the market these days, but if you decide to roll with a MWS, I'd expect you to be very satisfied with it's performance and accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks bro. Ive heard that the LMT 308 16in CL 1:10 likes the FGGM 168g better then the 175s Is that true? What do you guys think? I havent been able to try the different loads yet.

I was going to buy a few hundred rounds of each next week. But If the LMT is known to shoot one load better then the other. I will just pick up more of that load. Any info is appreciated. Im still trying to read all the pages you guys have posted so far. So once again if this info is already on here Im sorry. I am new to this forum.

Thank You </div></div>

The FGMM 168gr. shoots flat out amazingly in my 16" CL barrel...well below sub moa. I've only shot a box of the 175gr. FGMM thus far through my 16" CL but it doesn't appear that it's gonna be better than the 168gr.....quite frankly I can't see anything being better than it.

200yd group with FGMM 168gr.
target94.jpg

pair of 100yd groups...
target75.jpg

unedited to show that damn bughole on the right right side group.
DSC02544-1.jpg

Thanks for the info bro. Ill order more of the 168s then and only a few boxes of 175s just to see for my self. I also have 500rds of American Eagle 150g FMJ BT on hand just for screwing around. Now all I need to do is find the right scope for this gun. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know. Right now I'm leaning towards Nightforce either the 3x15 or the 5x22.

I have the BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Mod 4 on my LMT 308 and my RRA AR15 they are great. I dont know how big you want it but the mod 4 is the perfect size for me. They also have one size bigger. Ill take a picture of it and post it for you. Ill also throw my Leupold Mark AR from my AR15 on the LMT so you can see how much the handle comes out.

Here are the pictures of the BCM Mod 4. It works great. If you just grab from the handle side with one finger or your palm you shouldn't have any problem at all. I think If you went with the larger one it would be to big and would dig into your chest when you have the weapon on the sling. (thats my opinion I never used the larger one) I don't have that problem with the mod 4.

c20f488d.jpg

7c38d2c5.jpg

b62d7f1e.jpg

ee406b02.jpg

fa2b16b5.jpg

Big thank you to my new shooting pal who makes for one exceptional spotter/coach....I struggled a bit at the beginning of the day running a terrible choice of ammo with a terrible BC, and dealing with some wicked mirage being blown by a full value wind.

Once I got it doped, and applied the fundamentals, things worked out:)

DSC03409-1.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9KXS8i8tFQI&feature=youtube_gdata"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9KXS8i8tFQI&feature=youtube_gdata" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Nice shooting! How big is the steel and what load were you using? What camera(s) are you using?

Thanks for the vid.

All the best,
Geld6

Thanks pal, the Steel size 20" x 12". The ammo used was the red box Hornady TAP Precision 168gr. Amax. The cameras I use in my various videos are 1.) Sony Cyber-Shot 720p 14.4 mp camera(1x video/taking pictures) 2.) Sony HD handycam 25x 1080p (25x footage) 3.) Sony Handycam 60x 480p SD( 60x zoomed target cam footage) 4.) AiptekHD 1080p 3x cam(haven't used this one as much so far)

trident - can you please tell us what the "terrible choice of ammo" was so I know not to use it? Or were you just sticking with the Hornady the whole day?

I am new to the LMT MWS platform and I am still experimenting with various value factory brands DAG, PMC, and Privi Partizan all in 147g. From the above posts seems like I should at least be using 168g for the MWS for precision shooting.

Sure.....I had initially used a box of Federal fusion 165gr. just to see what it would do at distance since I just got 1.25moa 10rd groups @ 100yds using it. It's BC is .446. This stuff starts to open up significantly after several hundred yards.

The TAP Precision 168gr. Amax was what I had it totally dialed in with at 800yds and it's BC is .475.

Now that I'm basically done with my ammo/accuracy evaluations and will be shooting almost exclusively at long ranges, I will be primarily shooting 175gr. SMKs which have a BC of .505 and unlike the 168gr. SMKs( BC is .488) will remain stable while going transonic.

If your only shooting a couple hundred yards and closer, lots of loads will do well in a precision capacity...especially the Hornady Custom 150gr. SST, however for trying to push the envelope in terms of LR precision, I would go with a 175gr. SMK load.

Trident by any chance did you chrono any of those different rounds? Im curious what kind of velocity the 16 CL is getting with different loads. Also have you ever tried the American Eagle 150g FMJ BT. I picked up 500 rounds for like $9 a box a couple months ago. But havent shot much of it yet especially at any long distance

Thanks to BigB308 for the recommendation and pictures on the Gunfighter Mod. 4. I have one on my MWS now and it is fine...,

Your welcome bro. Glad it worked out for you.

My original LMT charging handle was gauging the upper a little when using it with one finger. Since the handle comes down over the edges of the upper. I think it was canting a little bit and when going back into the upper it would catch the corner. But I don't have that problem anymore with the BCM. They make a great product I use them on all my ARs now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trident by any chance did you chrono any of those different rounds? Im curious what kind of velocity the 16 CL is getting with different loads. Also have you ever tried the American Eagle 150g FMJ BT. I picked up 500 rounds for like $9 a box a couple months ago. But havent shot much of it yet especially at any long distance </div></div>

Most of the surplus 150 grain I've tried ran 2670-2700 fps and went under 2 moa. If you don't reload the best bargin ammo I've found is: Fiocchi 168g match 2512 fps 1.04", Pri Partizan 168g match 2480 fps .89" and BVAC 168gr AMAX 2471 fps .92". The best load I've found is M118LR 2471 fps .67". My rifle is a 16" CL. Figures are the average of five. five shot groups.

Trident, as a fellow MWS owner, can't thank you enough for the videos man. My buddy and I have been custom loading for it and getting .6-.7 MOA of it getting about 2548 FPS out of 168g SST'S with 45.0g of Varget. We are working on a trip out to a 900 yard range and we will defnitely put up a range report and videos. The gun is truly amazing for what it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trident by any chance did you chrono any of those different rounds? Im curious what kind of velocity the 16 CL is getting with different loads. Also have you ever tried the American Eagle 150g FMJ BT. I picked up 500 rounds for like $9 a box a couple months ago. But havent shot much of it yet especially at any long distance </div></div>

Ive been meaning to break out my 35P to gather some data, but haven't managed to do so yet, however a pal on another site contributed some data on a cpl. of loads in a thread I started....here are those numbers, he was using a MWS w/ 16" CL: 4200'/80 deg. F

Federal Fusion 150gr:
Avg: 2713 SD: 9.69

Federal Fusion 165gr:
Avg: 2538 SD: 25.17

Hornady 168gr A-MAX
Avg: 2474 SD: 13.70

Lockdown...It's truly my pleasure to contribute in anyway that I can. My new shooting pal is going to teach me how to reload but we just gotta figure out how to expand his current operation set up to reload for bolt rifles into one that can reload for S/A rifles. So I appreciate the recipe on your load and will certainly have to check it out once we get everything going on the reloading:)

I agree completely in regards to these rifles, they are indeed quite amazing. When I apply proper fundamentals and technique, this rifle never disappoints me in the least. Your gonna have a blast @ 900yds with this rifle, mine was begging for more real estate @ 800yds....the plan is 1k next week hopefully. Can't wait to hear your report and watch your footage...you'll really get your money's worth on this rifle once you start making it earn it at distance.

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. I prefer Federal ammo its always been good to me. But want all the info I can get to get the right load since I dont reload.

ALCON,

I am thinking about ordering the ammo below. Do any of you have experience with it? Do you recommend it? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

Prvi Partizan Ammunition 308 Winchester 175 Grain Match Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Case of 500 (25 Boxes of 20)
IN STOCK
SKU:TSPP-3.2
Free Shipping
Regular Price: $399.99
On Sale For: $324.75

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-89-prv...ammunition.aspx

I have used PPU match in the LMT MWS. It's at best a 1.5 moa ammo and weapon combination. I use it for practice rounds and brass. You can find it at Aim Surplus for 11.50 box of 20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Geld6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ALCON,

I am thinking about ordering the ammo below. Do any of you have experience with it? Do you recommend it? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

Prvi Partizan Ammunition 308 Winchester 175 Grain Match Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Case of 500 (25 Boxes of 20)
IN STOCK
Free Shipping

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-89-prv...ammunition.aspx </div></div>

Thanks for the info and tip on Aim Surplus. Aim Surplus is about $18 cheaper on their delivered price. I'm thinking about using the PPU for practice and reloading the brass. Do you or anyone else have any advice on reloading the PPU brass?

Thanks,

Geld6

First attempt @ 1000yds...specifically 1038yds

DSC03447-1.jpg

Steel afterwards...if you'll note, my hits are the smaller ones, whereas the larger ones are from my pal w/ his 26" krieger pushing Hornady SF 168gr. Amax.
DSC03456-1.jpg

Ballistic chart for the ammo I was using...Hornady 168gr. Amax.

DSC03453-1.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dQtP8B03XuM&feature=youtube_gdata"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dQtP8B03XuM&feature=youtube_gdata" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'm jealous of the real estate you guys are able to access. Very nice ranges and even better that they seem to be for your private use.

Anyone have any Idea if soft point amo would be deformed or have feed issues if magazine fed ?
I just ordered a Hornady L-N-L AP press and can get the free 500 .30 cal 150gn sp bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First attempt @ 1000yds...specifically 1038yds

DSC03447-1.jpg

Steel afterwards...if you'll note, my hits are the smaller ones, whereas the larger ones are from my pal w/ his 26" krieger pushing Hornady SF 168gr. Amax.
DSC03456-1.jpg

Ballistic chart for the ammo I was using...Hornady 168gr. Amax.

DSC03453-1.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dQtP8B03XuM&feature=youtube_gdata"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dQtP8B03XuM&feature=youtube_gdata" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

</div></div>

Still running the 168s out of the MWS?

Blackops_2....indeed, I stuck w/ the 168gr. Amax that I was previously using out at 800yds.

I look forward to seeing if the 175gr. SMK loads do better at this distance, which I suspect they will.

Trident very nice video. Im jealous I wish I had the land to shoot on all the time. Which scope are you using on the LMT for that 1000yd shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BX1129</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used PPU match in the LMT MWS. It's at best a 1.5 moa ammo and weapon combination. I use it for practice rounds and brass. You can find it at Aim Surplus for 11.50 box of 20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Geld6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ALCON,

IN STOCK
Free Shipping

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-89-prv...ammunition.aspx </div></div> </div></div>

The PPU 175 grain load does not use an OTM bullet. It is a FMJ with an exposed lead base. I have not had good accuracy with this load in my MWS, M1A NM or bolt rifles. Their 168 grains is a different story, sub moa. The FIOCCHI 168 grain is excellent as well. The only 175 grain load I've bought in bulk was M118LR but it was expensive. There was so excellent Israeli M852 floating around but I have not seen it lately. The M118LR is the most accurate load I've found. An equivalent handload is 175 SMK in fully preped and sorted LC brass using Fed match primers and 43.1 grains of RL15.

How was that scope at 1000yards. Would you want more magnification after using it at those distances? Im debating on which scope to get now for my LMT.

I am getting about 2-moa with the Prvi/PPU Match 175-gr, slightly better with FGMM 175-gr. My 16" CB barrel prefers the FGMM 168-gr, where I'm getting sub-moa once in awhile, usually just over 1-moa.

I have an 18" SS barrel on order, and was told 16-week wait time.

Can someone explain the differences between all the generations of the MWS to me? How do i tell which generation is which?

Has any one shot their 260 or Creedmore barrel yet? The 1-9 twist kinda has me concerned. A 1-8.5 would make me happier but i want to hear how others have shot and with what bullets.

Thanks guys

Gen 1 uppers a billet...Gen 2 uppers are forged

Gen 2 recent uppers have the new dual ejector bolt...vs. old uppers having the single ejector bolt

Best way to tell them apart is by the shell deflector....

Note the distinct shell deflector on this gen 1 upper:
lmt-b.jpg

The brits have used both Gen 1 and Gen 2 in combat so I wouldn't be to overly concerned with the matter.

In regards to the .260rem/6.5cm options....that's my next move;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How was that scope at 1000yards. Would you want more magnification after using it at those distances? Im debating on which scope to get now for my LMT.

</div></div>

The 2.5-10x24 is certainly an acquired taste...it's hard to say if I would want more magnification since that magnification will come at a premium in terms of weight and scope size profile. I absolutely love my NXSc 2.5 (x24), but it's one unforgiving b*tch
grin.gif

I think the NF NXS 3.5 F1 is perhaps the best optic for a 1000yd MWS setup, but the NXSc works just fine thus far for myself.

Lockdown's optic..the NXS 5.5 would equally work great...thanks for the kind words by the way LD:)

Thank you!

I had a POF a few years back and it was nothing but problems for me. I've been a bolt guy ever since and I'm looking to give the semis another shot. The MWS seems perfect for me for the same reasons I got a MRP last year
smile.gif

Too many questionable accuracy reports for the LWRC for me. It seems hit and miss where as most of the LMT guys seem to be very happy.

My pleasure brother, I'm a MRP lifer myself and naturally I went with the MWS.

The inherit properties of this rifle with it's monolithic chassis...and equally as important, it's barrel capture/hook-up design, make it a wonderful platform to seek precision from imho.

The rigidness and heat dissipation of the barreled chassis is second to none. My new shooting pal can't believe how many rounds I can fire successively without having the barrel getting overly hot.

I'd be very, very surprised as well to hear about any reliability problems with this particular rifle. Another great thing about it is that it's a large military contract rifle meaning it's ensured to have support and parts supply for a long time to come.

I wanted to share this picture with you guys. I went to LMT a couple months ago and they had this picture in the foyer. I thought it was very cool. So I took a picture of it and the lady at the front desk came out and gave me a copy of the original picture. The original was all done in pencil and was very detailed. Obviously mine is just a copy but it is very cool none the less. I dont know how many copies they made so I had it framed and took a picture of it to share with you guys. I have to say LMT is a great company to deal with and they stand behind their product 110%. I absolutely love my LMT MWS 308, its the best gun Ive owned or shot and is worth every dollar I spent on it. I never really felt proud about any certain gun that I had until now. This thing ROCKS!!!

7b372352.jpg

That picture looks kinda familiar;) Yours looks great in that frame....I haven't gotten around to framing mine up yet.

DSC03544-1.jpg

A good pal of mine actually sent that to me....I think your correct about them not being for sale.

Tron....that's awesome, how long were you quoted in terms of ETA on delivery of the new LM8?

Stupid Question of the day.

It looks like there is spot to connect a quick release push button type sling mount right under and behind the pistol grip but it's too shallow sitting in the 6 o'clock position. Do you just loosen that castle nut and rotate that mount out 90 degrees so you can attach a sling point right behind your pistol grip? I like to ask before I go fiddling with expensive shit.

Negative....the area in question that your referring to is located on the end plate. The end plate has that shallow/indented area because on the other side it's raised up in order to fit slightly inside the end of the receiver which just helps align it and then keep it from rotating or moving once the castle nut is tightened down.

You can however get aftermarket end plates made specifically for QD sling attachment points. The stock end plate however has no function like that.