• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

Trident,

Gratitude for a straight up answer :)

Pursuant to your shared wisdom, I shall leave it un-f'd-up!

Conrad

The end plate is a pain in the ass to get off since the castle nut is staked. I seen a lot of guys having problems with it. Especially on the LMT because they really stake it good. If you decided to do it be careful and make sure you have any extra castle nut.

What you guys using for Magazines? Ive been using all Magpul Pmags and they work great. But was thinking about trying some other brands. Anyone have any experience with any other mags on the LMT 308?

I like the full rail system better myself. I like the extra weight and the look of it. Plus I use stippled rail covers for extra grip. I dont like having to attach sections of rail and caring them around. I would rather it be one solid system. But thats just my opinion. Im sure a lot of guys will like the new version.

I bought one of these last night, can't wait to try it out.

IMG_20120211_072905.jpg

Hi, does anyone shoot this rifle with a suppressor? I'm hoping to get my AAC 762SD soon and I'm wanted to see if this rifle would make a good host.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hokie2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, does anyone shoot this rifle with a suppressor? I'm hoping to get my AAC 762SD soon and I'm wanted to see if this rifle would make a good host.

Thanks </div></div>

Hopefully I can help you out come may or june. I have a surefire 762ss pending that I think will go nicely with the mws.

Not sure if I'll make any changes to the rifle yet as far as buffers, but I'm thinking it's going to be fairly overgassed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What changes could you do with the buffer? It already has a H buffer from the factory? </div></div>

Not entirely sure, I have read a little where others have tried heavier buffers than the standard H buffer. Like I say, I won't know for several months, but the mws does seem to be overgassed as it is now and a suppressor will just add to that.

Thanks for the info. I really haven't found that much information or reviews of the MWS suppressed. I'm hoping to get my AAC 762SD in the next month so I'm on the hunt for a new host.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1ajunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hokie2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, does anyone shoot this rifle with a suppressor? I'm hoping to get my AAC 762SD soon and I'm wanted to see if this rifle would make a good host.

Thanks </div></div>

Hopefully I can help you out come may or june. I have a surefire 762ss pending that I think will go nicely with the mws.

Not sure if I'll make any changes to the rifle yet as far as buffers, but I'm thinking it's going to be fairly overgassed. </div></div>

Yep they are shipping with Pmags now. I bought mine a few months back and thought the store ripped me off because it had a Pmag instead of the KAC mag. So I called LMT and asked them. They confirmed they are now shipping with Pmags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine has an H3 buffer in it from the factory. Do you guys have a standard H buffer? </div></div>

Just took a gander at mine. Looks to be an h3 as well.

You will love this rifle. I'm still shooting it with iron sights it shoots so well.
Happy shooting

Certainly not the greatest footage Ive ever filmed but nonetheless thought I would share it with those who care to watch it...I did nail two 5" x 10" jugs of water at 994yds though:)

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rCfIjl7O8R8&feature=youtube_gdata"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rCfIjl7O8R8&feature=youtube_gdata" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Pic....

DSC03606-1.jpg

So after you pull and reinstall the barrel, have you noticed any change in point of impact?

Nope...I've been doing it for several years with all MRPs, and never seen any shift when coming back to the same barrel.

Karl's design is impeccable in this aspect imho.

I did a test to illustrate the RTZ ability, as well as the fact that one doesn't have to even be very precise with the amt. of torque used when securing the barrel...

DSC03223-1.jpg

Trident 1982

A few questions to answer please.

Is that the 16 inch CL barrel?

What scope/mount and what trigger set up is that?

Thanks for your time.

Thanks, Hoping to order one of these this week. Just looking to see some options of how the can be configured. Great test of the barrel tourque specs thanks for posting it.

My pleasure....even if one doesn't plan to actually swap out different barrels and the like, the QD barrel ability on the MRP/MWS chassis is extremely nice for facilitating much easier, faster, and more thorough cleaning of both the barrel and the entire chassis. I always clean the barrel and chassis separately from each other.

Congrats on your future ordering of one of these rifles, and look forward to hearing, and seeing how it all turns out once you receive it.

Got any idea of how you want to configure it yet?

One thing to note on the barrel torque:

LMT ships the torque wrench preset and taped to prevent you from changing it.

Technically, this is a "wrong" thing to do. Torque wrenches are suppsoed to be stored either completely "relaxed" or set to a very low torque value. Leaving them set to a high torque value for extended periods degrades their accuracy.

I actually use my own Snap-On torque wrench to torque my barrel bolts, and do proeprly relax it between uses. I also torque to about 10% less than LMT recommends, just to increase the safety factor against overtorquing. When I first reduced the torque value, I checked specifically to see if there was any change in POI at my next rnage session. None.

Like others have noted, removing and re-installing the barrel does not move the POI at all. I remove and re-install minee each time I clean it, just as an earleir poster does, as it makes the cleaning task both easier and much more thorough.

Another subtle advantage of the removable barrel is that if you ever need to ship the rifle, either for service or on a shooting expedition, with the barrel removed the rifle is less susceptible to shipping damage ("shorter lever arm" for bending) and it is far less obvious that there is a rifle in a package when the entire package is maybe 32 to 34 inches in length.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got any idea of how you want to configure it yet? </div></div>

I was liking the Sharpshooter system but dont want the cost of the few extras that I wont use anyways. I wanted a MWS with SS 16" barrel but seeing results such as yours I am coming to the opinion that a CL barrel will do everything the SS does at less cost so why not save the money? If I find it worth it to get a SS barrel in the future I can get an 18 or 20 to add capabilities beyond what the 16" CL offers. I intend shooting 168 SMK's as its what I load in my 30-06 so if that should have a bearing on my choice please educate me. I live in the NE and 300 yards is the best range I have readily available. I know of one area that I can hit 600 if the scheduling works just right. Other than that I am considering FDE plasticware just to keep the rifle from getting lost in the crowd of black AR's.

My intent for now is to use this rifle in rotation with my Garand and 03's at known distance iron sight matches. There is no rational need for me to spend this type of money on a gun except for I want something different than my milsurps and I think this beast would be nice to have in the safe.

In the future I intend to get some glass, KAC sights, a bipod, and if its not fun at iron sight matches maybe a PRS with monopod to make it a mat/bench/range gun. Suppressors, future SBR conversions or similar are not intended right now.

Any suggestions from actual users would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking at these things for about 4 months and anything I have learned has been internet derived so the sources are suspect. I've read about some great rifles, GAP, Knights, Larue, JP,but for reasons related to performance testimonials, cost and the fact of LMTs military contracts I've decided this is the way to go. Its alot of cash , I hope its the right choice.

pmclaine, I am going tell you from a handling point of view, hope to shoot today or tomorrow, this is a really nice rifle. When I was shopping, I was thinking about this rifle, the LWRC in 18, held the HK (its awful to me, heavy, bulky and 100 dollar mags? No thanks), and a JP. The JP is gorgeous, I have nothing bad to say about it whatsoever, the LWRC on the other hand I did not like the charging handle (due to how I carry rifles) but it was tempting as well. I also handled the Knight, which seemed to be fine to me but I didn't get it due to it being a whole ton of money. I am not going to say its not worth it, but for me, I can't spend that much on a rifle, it was over 5k$.

The lower is very nice, I actually do like the trigger, it is going to work just fine. I like the grip, I like the sopmod stock (the vtor grabs my beard sometimes and boy that is damned annoying).

The upper is really nice, I like the latch, it is not too big nor too small. Now for the crowning touch, barrel removal and reinstall, I am not an AR armorer, and after seeing this, I am going to go LMT on my 15s now... I am also thinking of purchasing a separate barrel, say a longer one I just love this upper, its amazing, how it is built, where I put my optics. The ONLY thing that is missing is a muzzle brake but that is also a good thing they don't put one on, cause muzzle brakes are like girls and cars, a whole lot of opinion on which is best. I like them all, so I am an awful judge on this point, but I will probably get a Surefire or AAC.

My suggestion is to seriously see if you can go handle different ones, its hard to toss 3,000$ at something without holding it. My opinions and wants/needs probably differ from yours, I am not ex-military nor active, so these points of view could be bad too! If you are anything like me, or in my situation, where tossing money at a rifle that is over that 2k threshold my wife begins to REALLY pay attention. So buying something that isn't perfect for you can be a bad thing.

I also shoot nothing but 168gr, which is what my bolt 308s just absolutely love, I will post what I do/did...

Not a lot of opportunity to see any of the rifles I considered in the flesh where I live.

I fondled a JP LRP-07 and thought it was great just more toward the race gun side of the AR family than the battle rifle side. I think the proprietary parts could be an issue at some point.

Closest I got to the MWS was a 5.56 LMT with a target crown and the sopmod pinned. I was impressed with the apparent quality of the one I handled. I tried to imagine the same thing a little bigger and a little heavier and decided it would work for me.

JimG...great reply, and it's great to hear that you take advantage of the MWS's design and have put it to the test.

pmclaine...it sounds like you have done a good bit of homework in regards to your upcoming purchase. Outta all the forums on the web that have MWS discussion/threads, this particular thread on SH is easily the best I've found. You can rely on the information in this particular thread to help make your decision imo. 99% of every report Ive read on the MWS is not only positive it's a raving review.

Nothing Ive ever felt feels as solid and quality built as a MRP or MWS...they truly have a one of kind, highly unique feel to them. I hate having a rattling or loose feeling rifle, there is absolutely no play or excessive movement anywhere on a MWS. It feels nuke bomb proof.

So much inherit accuracy lies in not only the monolithic chassis, but how the barrel hooks up inside of the chassis.

The MRP/MWS chassis is the gift that keeps on giving, and it's so nice to constantly be growing into your rifle, and always have tons of options open to you in the future whether or not you decide to actually utilize them or not...i.e. different caliber barrels/configurations.

The 16" CL shoots FGMM 168gr. simply amazing...I'm talking .70-.80" 10rd groups. I couldn't even imagine how well it will shoot hand loaded worked up 168gr. SMK reloads. The only problem with those for myself is that they are notoriously bad performers once they enter the transonic area. It sounds like this won't even be a concern of yours given the distances you listed as they will certainly remain super well past 600yds.

It's hard to think that the 16" 5R SST barrel could perform much better than the 16" CL, however it is nice to know your shooting the exact same barrel that is currently dealing out lots of dirt naps to bad guys
cool.gif

Gildoom...congrats brother on joining the club, look forward to hearing how yours shoots in the future.

I wonder if Magpul updated their design, or LMT enlarged the magwell since I tried a PMAG and it was too snug to go in or out without force.

Is this customer service call worthy? I've been hesitant to shell out the $80 a pop for more KAC's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if Magpul updated their design, or LMT enlarged the magwell since I tried a PMAG and it was too snug to go in or out without force.

Is this customer service call worthy? I've been hesitant to shell out the $80 a pop for more KAC's </div></div>

I posted about this a few months back. Magpul DID modify their magazines to eliminate an INTERMITTENT fit problem with LMT MWS and MWSE rifles. You can find the Magpul explanation on their website. They also show a couple of photos that tell you if you have the newer (correct) magazines or the old ones. The difference is too hard to explain in words, but very evident when you see 2 photos side by side.

The old ones DID interfere with a moving part in the rifle.

Magpul will send you FREE new parts (ONLY the affected part) for any mags that you have of the old type.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of $80 KAC magazines...

Do the DPMS .308 magazines work in the MWS platform? </div></div>

Don't know about DPMS, but the LaRue ones do, and offer the advantage of accepting longer COAL.

Jim G

Yes. The DPMS mags work just fine too. But with Pmags being $19, it's hard to turn your nose up at them. You can accumulate 10-15 over a year without the wife even noticing. :)

Shot it today, function test more than anything, had a few really good groups but the wind was blowing seriously 25mph or more, blew a box of ammo off the stand. Rifle worked great, had 2 misfeeds but that was due to a mag problem, different mag nothing bad at all. 100 rounds of 168 gr blackhills, shot some stuff at 300 yards, very impressed, repeated just fine, awesome firearm.

Came home, took off the barrel, wow that was easy, cleaned up so easily, reattached barrel as per instructions, very easy. Like I said, this is just a great setup, I want all my AR15s to be LMT's now...

I used my Premiere to test, guy came over to look at it, looked through, wow that is some amazing glass. I think I am just going to use irons with this till some 1-6x tickles my fancy. That or use another Vortex PST 1-4x but I am wanting to see some reviews of the new Leupold 1-6x.

Very happy with this purchase, very much so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of $80 KAC magazines...

Do the DPMS .308 magazines work in the MWS platform? </div></div>

I wrote to LMT and they sent me their official list of tested mags (not all of these are 10rd). Their authorative source the list is as follows:
LaRue OBR Mags
KAC SR25 Mags
DPMS Mags
MagPul Pmags

PS - I also found that MidwestPX makes their own 5/10/15 "Stubby" cut down from a PMAG 20LR that looks promising.
http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=15_69

For everyone out there that is on the fence about the LMT. I guarantee you will be happy with this gun. If you want a Semi-auto 308 AR platform this is the gun to get. It is rock solid, I never seen a rifle built so well. Most AR's have some play in them and that is normal and they do operate great however, My LMT has virtually no play at all it is built like a tank. It maybe has 1/64th of an inch or less play left to right and thats it!!! that is probably what you need just to take it apart. This gun is capable of shooting 1/2 MOA and I would put it up against any rifle out there semi or bolt. As far as the company goes LMT is top notch, they are very nice and stand behind their product 110%. I wish I had the money to buy another.

The only bad thing about owning this gun is picking which scope to get.

Do those KAC sights lock up in position like the Troys?

Im thinking about getting rid of the Troy rear because I like the elevation adjustment on the KAC.

Negative....some see this as a negative, some see it as a positive. The negative is that if your front/back buis gets bumped pretty hard by say a tree branch...it will flip down. The positive is that if you drop your rifle while the front/back buis is deployed, they will flip down thus avoid being rendered all together outta commission by having them bent, broke, etc.

Ultimately, any flip up buis imho is purely a back up sight....if you want a true "fixed", hard use iron sight, than stick with the org. LMT front and rear sights. Arguably still no better fixed iron sights on the market today than those.

Ive owned and used several different types of flip up buis sets to include both the troys and kacs, and I greatly prefer the new KAC micro sights outta the lot.

Personally, I prefer a NF, SB, USO, etc....to any flip up irons though;)

I wanted to get myself a slice of that youtube ad revenue pie.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MQT-4DkcjoU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MQT-4DkcjoU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Great video, and very nice shooting....that's one badass rifle as well;)

I really like how you had multiple targets at different distances and engaged them consecutively....pretty damn fast I might add as well.

If that was real world threats though, I'd think you'd wanna start with the closest targets, and then work your way back....like Chuck Mawhinney did during in Vietnam

"Near the An Hoa base outside Da Nang, he caught a platoon of North Vietnamese Army regulars crossing a stream. He hit 16 with head shots with an M-14, which he often carried in addition to his bolt-action."
cool.gif

Thanks Trident. Is the KAC sights the same height as all the other AR sights? So you can use the rear with any other front sight. I am partial to my HK style front sight. But really like KAC rear.

Thank you, that takes special meaning coming from the reigning snipers hide MWS video star!

This is probably the best challenge for what the rifle is and does best (that you can do within the rules of the range). Making a mental note that I have to dedicate more rounds to this next time out, these were the last few shots of the day.

I suppose I could brush up on my 600 yard accuracy since I know the gun is capable of sub MOA...

o9o86c.jpg

( 6" X )

BigB308...the KAC irons are indeed the same plane/height as the others like troys, mbus, etc. So you can run your front troy sight with the rear 200-600m kac sight. The KAC micro front sight though is really a jewel in my book...it has an front sight post elevation wheel to make adjustments super easy and very fast. The KAC micro front post is also smaller than the Troy front sight post....The KAC micro front sight post is .0490....the Troy front sight post is .0775. Nothing at all wrong with your Troy front sight though...just some further food for thought.

OFIS..keep it up and I won't be the SH's MWS video star for long
grin.gif
For your first video, it's hard to top that.

I'd agree, that was a very impressive display of what this rifle has the ability to do. I haven't seen a video yet like that one regardless of what type of rifle it was let alone a MWS.

That's no easy task to ring that many different steel targets/distance intervals with that much speed on target.

Thanks for the info Trident. One more question for you guys. Is anyone using the BA Battle Comp for the LMT 308? They claim its the only comp that doesn't add noise. So just wondering how it works, does it add noise, does it reduce muzzle flip etc..

They are double the price of all other comps so would really like to hear how good they are.

Good to know about the DPMS magazines. I have a couple of PMags for my MWS but don't really like them as much as the factory mags BUT I also find it objectionable to pay $80 for magazines. I'll buy some DPMS magazines and see how I like them. I WILL probably buy a coupe of those limited 10-rd PMags, though.

On another note, has anyone shot much or at all with the LMT .260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor barrels? The twist is a bit slower than I'd like but I'm thinking that they're probably fine. I just don't want to buy one and end up with it being below expectations. The MWS is my dream gun and has performed very well for me with 168 grain .308 at closer distances but I want to stretch the range and I've slowly been changing things so that heavy bolt guns for competitions, light ones for hunting, and gas guns for whatever are in .260 and that's my next step with the MWS if I hear positive things about the LMT barrel in that caliber.

With the introduction of the LM8 configuration in both the MWS and MRP, I think that LMT has fulfilled my dreams. Multiple calibers in each with great overall quality and customer service? What's not to like?

BigB308....I've got a BABC that I received to actually T/E with a 300blk MRP barrel but never have gotten the MRP barrel yet, Ive thought about putting it on my MWS, however I can tell you why I haven't yet....the MWS is already loud as hell, and it's the first rifle I've had to double plug on. The BABC will inevitably make your MWS louder, you just have to weigh recoil vs. loudness. Personally I believe any recoil can be mitigated simply with solid technique, so currently I'm opting to not make my MWS even louder than it already is.

I have a BAC 2.0 on my MRP CQB 10.5" and it's certainly louder than when I just had the standard A2 f/h on it.

Double-edged...I'm really wanting to get the 6.5cm MWS config. going on my end, but LMT doesn't have the 5R SS 6.5cm barrels yet according to my friend at LMT.

I really like the idea of the 6.5cm 20" 5R SS option, however I've never owned a 6.5cm rifle before, and I'd like to know just how much more distance I'm gonna be getting outta the 6.5cm option over a comparable .308 option. I guess I might just have to figure this out for myself.

As far as what's not to like about the MRP/MWS platform...I have no f**king idea
wink.gif

+1 on skipping the brake.

Granted, I have a RAD rapid brake which works well, but it honestly sounds like a magnum caliber going off. I don't make <span style="font-weight: bold">any</span> friends at crowded ranges and double ear pro is absolutely necessary.

16" 308 is just going to be loud no matter what you do outside of a suppressor.

Damn these things are like crack. Just bought my third MWS with the 16"cl barrel. My first two have the 20"cl with the Weaver Tactical Scope. Waiting for the new SS 1x6 HD scope to come out for this one. When is the group buy?

Holy smokes...you got a damn stable of MWSs, you should SBR one of them and beg LMT to either sell you a 13.5", or chop an existing 16" CL. The cool factor on that rifle would be off the charts.

I'll be getting a LM8 MWS, but don't foresee myself owning more than 2 even though I'd love to own 10 of them:)