• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

I guess I missed the news. Where did you get these apple green beauties??

I love my generation 1. Use a omega can on it with a 2.5-10x24 NF.

Been tinkering with my loads but it shoots pretty good for a gas gun. Using 43.2 grains of varget with fgmm primers and 168 smk. The 16 CL barrel definitely likes 168 over 175. View attachment 7051548View attachment 7051549View attachment 7051550View attachment 7051551

Nice gun, and nice shooting!
How does your brass look with such a heavy load? I see pressure signs very early on with 41 grns varget, and 41.4 of 4064 using 175smk. I now shoot 168 ELD-M at 41.4 of 8208xbr and still have flat primers. If I shoot suppressed, forget about using the brass again as all primer pockets are blown out. (I use 7.62 brass from LC and IMI so less capacity) I don't want to use my stash of LC-LR, FC, or Lapua brass cause I want to be able to use it after firing. Our guns are very overgassed. A bit better result using JP SCS and 2 tungsten weights. Going to the 18ss barrel and rifle gas helped but still beats up brass.
I also tried the Gemtech adj. BCG and JP HP bolt but they fail to feed every 2 or 3 rounds so stopped using it.

Love the gun, but if you handload, you're gonna lose a lot of brass after 1st firing. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Nice gun, and nice shooting!
How does your brass look with such a heavy load? I see pressure signs very early on with 41 grns varget, and 41.4 of 4064 using 175smk. I now shoot 168 ELD-M at 41.4 of 8208xbr and still have flat primers. If I shoot suppressed, forget about using the brass again as all primer pockets are blown out. (I use 7.62 brass from LC and IMI so less capacity) I don't want to use my stash of LC-LR, FC, or Lapua brass cause I want to be able to use it after firing. Our guns are very overgassed. A bit better result using JP SCS and 2 tungsten weights. Going to the 18ss barrel and rifle gas helped but still beats up brass.
I also tried the Gemtech adj. BCG and JP HP bolt but they fail to feed every 2 or 3 rounds so stopped using it.

Love the gun, but if you handload, you're gonna lose a lot of brass after 1st firing. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

I seem to consistently throw 1 flyer low right in a bunch of my groups. I’m sure it’s me. I’m still working on shooting the beast better as I used to basically free recoil everything but am now moving to the firmer hold recommend to “ride” a semi-auto.

Honestly I have so much brass that I’m barely only into one reload per piece so I have not checked the effect on primer pockets being enlarged for multiple loads, but 43.2 grains of varget with 168 SMK doesn’t seem hot at all in my weapon and ejects neatly as expected.

74C7FB53-65E9-498A-978A-B19715F69995.jpeg
I have attached the load table off the hodgen site for your review.

13.5 MWS with a kac qdc mams. This damn thing is so much fun to shoot. I'm considering having the barrel dimpled mostly for aesthetic reasons but even with a 13.5 barrel the damn thing seems just as heavy as the Noveske N6 in the background.

View attachment 7052625

13.5 MWS with a kac qdc mams. This damn thing is so much fun to shoot. I'm considering having the barrel dimpled mostly for aesthetic reasons but even with a 13.5 barrel the damn thing seems just as heavy as the Noveske N6 in the background.
Nice rigs.

How is the concussion for the shooter and someone standing to your side with the 13.5? I just bought a new to me LMT MWS and I am torn between the 13.5 vs 16 inch.

I'm I'm leaving the range now but all I can say is wow. I didn't try any type of precision stuff out of the 16 inch chrome lined Barrel as I did order a 20 inch stainless steel 5r barrel but let me say that I am very impressed as wolf, Dag, DP you all shot very well at a hundred yards with a 14 mile an hour wind

ok, 14-15mph wind and was shooting DAG and Wolf. Wolf is the first target and Dag the second. Ignore the shots 3 shots on the left of the Dag as I was adjusting the scope. 100 yards and off a bag but I'm sure to tighten these up as the rifle breaks in, I learn the trigger, better conditions etc. first 20 or so rounds.....

Attachments

• 20190331_103103.jpg
    20190331_103103.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 20190331_103122.jpg
    20190331_103122.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Reactions: Jsp556
Got the Sharpshooter out today for some factory ammo testing-I already know it loves FGMM 175s-

Then I tried some Federal hunting loads with just OK results-

180gr power shock

168gr Speer soft point

Reactions: Jsp556
I ran a bunch of different factory stuff through it this weekend. Hornady Precision Hunter 143 and Federal Sierra Matchking both shot well under an inch consistently. Federal Nosler Accubond was just over an inch, Prime was 2 inches or so and Federal Berger OTM looked like a shotgun. For my purposes, I like to shoot the gun, but we also use it for predator control, the fact that the 143 ELD-x shoots so well is perfect. Except, of course, for the price, but it is good stuff. Mine had a strong, obvious preference for 140+ over 130s.

Also, 2710fps SD 8.9!

So, as an update to this, the rifle had been shooting .75-1 moa with the Hornady Precision Hunter. I was using an Elite Iron STFU on it, but did not like the amount of gas blowback. It really is a great can on bolt guns, but not on semi auto. I changed up to an Omega, shot three groups to rezero. Smallest was .25 moa, largest was .4 moa. It really shoots this stuff well.

Nice rigs.

How is the concussion for the shooter and someone standing to your side with the 13.5? I just bought a new to me LMT MWS and I am torn between the 13.5 vs 16 inch.

its pretty bad not gonna lie but i really wanted to use the mams brake and it does a pretty good job of taming recoil

So, as an update to this, the rifle had been shooting .75-1 moa with the Hornady Precision Hunter. I was using an Elite Iron STFU on it, but did not like the amount of gas blowback. It really is a great can on bolt guns, but not on semi auto. I changed up to an Omega, shot three groups to rezero. Smallest was .25 moa, largest was .4 moa. It really shoots this stuff well.
Mine loves to be shot suppressed. My groups shrink by at .25 MOA with a Surefire SOCOM 7.62RC. Only problem is I lose my brass when the can is on. Blows out the primer pockets.

Just picked her up from the ole FFL. 6.5 barrel setup with a 308 to boot. Can't wait to see if she's as much fun as the MRP!! (Sorry for the tasteless dirty carpet pic.)

Attachments

• 20190411_153245.jpg
    20190411_153245.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: The DFC
Ok so the cl 16" barrel is printing mean .95 with FGMM on a consistent basis and about 1.3 with DAG. The wolf, suprisingly, is not too far behind but at 200, the wolf opens quite a bit.

I just got the 20" ss match barrel that I'll try out this week!

my only concern is this; has anyone had poi shift when changing barrels in and out?

Ok so the cl 16" barrel is printing mean .95 with FGMM on a consistent basis and about 1.3 with DAG. The wolf, suprisingly, is not too far behind but at 200, the wolf opens quite a bit.

my only concern is this; has anyone had poi shift when changing barrels in and out?

168 or 175gr?

While i am sure there is a POI shift, I have not really noticed it any more than a shift associated with shooting in different seasons or elevations.

Don think i have ever seen a shift of more than an inch, but that could be associated with temp changes as well, I have never pulled the barrel at the range, to see how repeatable the shift is

I am debating between cl and ss for a 16 inch .308, how much accuracy difference has anyone experienced between the two?

Generally my SS barrels are a pretty consistent .75 whereas my CL's have been around MOA.

Not huge difference, still have my CL's as spares.

Generally my SS barrels are a pretty consistent .75 whereas my CL's have been around MOA.

Not huge difference, still have my CL's as spares.

I'm about the same (with FGMM)-sub moa with SS and 1.5 or so moa for CL I just started shooting my CL though-it is 1:10 and appears to like 168gr of which I don't have a lot of and my SS is 1:11.25 and loves 175gr.

While i am sure there is a POI shift, I have not really noticed it any more than a shift associated with shooting in different seasons or elevations.

Don think i have ever seen a shift of more than an inch, but that could be associated with temp changes as well, I have never pulled the barrel at the range, to see how repeatable the shift is
thank you, I'll see and report back this week

Just a “throw it out there” post. New here, read a lot, still reading a lot. First new rifle for me late in life (68yr. old). Just happy and have to get funds still to finish off the glass portion (probably be a Vortex Razor HD GenII 4.5-27x56 EBR 2C reticle). Heavy, I know, but for now that hits the good glass spot I want at a price I can handle. RTS iron sights. Heavy full profile 16” chrome. Got the Pelican 1750 case, 5-20 round mags LMT PMAG, Healy 2/1 point sling just in case. AMMO in wait: HPR 308 Win 150gr STSP, HSM 308 WIN 169 grain BERGER HPBT HUNTING VLD, and then ABM AMMO MISSION READY 308 Winchester 175 gr BERGER Match OTM Tactical...400 rnds/ 100 rnds/ 200 rnds respectively. Should be enough to start out, lol?. I’ll cut the case insert when get the glass mounted up....then got a buddy ex Navy (Subs) we plan to probably use a local range (up to 1300yd.) to play with. Not a hunter though deer are all over the back yard. Looking forward to a lot of time on trigger and dry fire. Just glad this forum is available for all of us. ?
D7ACF953-2575-401C-B7F8-BB22DBEAD776.jpeg
B9CEEC7A-2D73-424D-9B46-1F9622B8E64D.jpeg
701A94C8-B5A5-4F30-B79C-10261F5F7935.jpeg
55B6A055-7855-4F33-9AE0-6A97F824E8C8.jpeg
901E587F-CD47-4F2F-BC50-097A92734E5A.jpeg

Last edited:
^^^^Nice rig. I have a similar set-up-although MLOK upper-offset sights are Magpul Pros but I did consider the Daniel Defense ones similar to yours.

I'm still experimenting with ammo-but I think it likes the 168gr match types. Have more incoming and will report back.

edit-I have a 5x fixed on mine and down the road get either an Elcan or ACOG 6x.

^^^^Nice rig. I have a similar set-up-although MLOK upper-offset sights are Magpul Pros but I did consider the Daniel Defense ones similar to yours.

I'm still experimenting with ammo-but I think it likes the 168gr match types. Have more incoming and will report back.

edit-I have a 5x fixed on mine and down the road get either an Elcan or ACOG 6x.
Yep in that, when I first started thinking what I would do sight-wise it was that Vcog for a good spell (pricey too), but after settling into more reading realized the long range was going to be what I wanted to play more with. Though 18-20” would have been better for that, I wanted to keep length what I liked, may can it up later down the road, which should improve it if done right.

Last edited:
Yep in that, when I first started thinking what I would do sight-wise it was that Vcog for a good spell (pricey too), but after settling into more reading realized the long range was going to be hat I wanted to play more with. Though 18-20” would have been better for that, I wanted to keep length what I liked, may can it up later down the road, which should improve it if done right.
Didn’t say that well, I meant put a suppressor on it.

2.5-10 or 1-8 is just about the ticket on that weapon. On a 7.62, that will get you to usable ranges no problem without overwhelming portability.

Of course I walk with mine and climb up trees; so I guess if you just want to shoot steel or paper, more scope might be fun.

3748BD0A-D944-4DD1-9BA5-5E60A27FE369.jpeg

Yep in that, when I first started thinking what I would do sight-wise it was that Vcog for a good spell (pricey too), but after settling into more reading realized the long range was going to be hat I wanted to play more with. Though 18-20” would have been better for that, I wanted to keep length what I liked, may can it up later down the road, which should improve it if done right.

LMT's stainless barrels are very accurate from what I've seen. My Sharpshooter is a fairly consistent moa or better with a 16" ss barrel and FGMM 175gr pills. I also have a 24" 6.5 creedmoor tube that shoots better than that with Hornady 140gr ELD.

I was in the same boat-so now I have a 16" chrome lined for shooting volume of M80 ball-I'll call it "combat accurate" @1-3moa. My Sharpshooter is my mid shooter and then the 6.5 creed with a Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x for reaching out and touching longer ranges although I only have 400yds at my club. Still fun as hell.

LMT's stainless barrels are very accurate from what I've seen. My Sharpshooter is a fairly consistent moa or better with a 16" ss barrel and FGMM 175gr pills. I also have a 24" 6.5 creedmoor tube that shoots better than that with Hornady 140gr ELD.

I was in the same boat-so now I have a 16" chrome lined for shooting volume of M80 ball-I'll call it "combat accurate" @1-3moa. My Sharpshooter is my mid shooter and then the 6.5 creed with a Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x for reaching out and touching longer ranges although I only have 400yds at my club. Still fun as hell.
Info appreciated, DFC. I’ll have to see what I get with this barrel once I settle in on trigger with rounds and then decide if and what I go to next, if I do change/add another barrel. That’s one of the reasons I like LMT MWS. ?

A guy at the range today was setting up his new LMT 16" .308 as I was leaving. He was starting a very nice 100m group using a 308 3.5 ACOG. Very nice rifle.

I like those LMT rail covers but the price is too much. Any other suggestions out there?

I like those LMT rail covers but the price is too much. Any other suggestions out there?
Fortunately, for me, they came with the rifle, but I did recently see their price separately... they are very pricey. Hope others can give some suggestions to help you. Those simply slipped down the rails and clip into desired position. Good luck.

Fortunately, for me, they came with the rifle, but I did recently see their price separately... they are very pricey. Hope others can give some suggestions to help you. Those simply slipped down the rails and clip into desired position. Good luck.
Maybe somebody has some they don’t want to use and you could get them.