• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Just had my older MWS Cerakoted in the Magpul OD Green color. I really like how it turned out. The 16” lightweight SS 308 barrel has been a tack driver too.

Attachments

• 0672D115-7C66-4A4F-B56D-57B48CD81249.jpeg
    0672D115-7C66-4A4F-B56D-57B48CD81249.jpeg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 384
question.. are the MWS over gassed.. I currently only have the MRP platforms and they seem to be gassed great for suppressed and unsuppressed

Hello all,

Just giving a long overdue update, my south American lmt mws is stitched back together like Frankensteins monster. I finally got the all the parts, tools, and time to fix the trigger guard ear on my lower that a former "gunsmith" at my local shop broke the ear off. I talked to the shop owner and this cat talked himself up pretty good as he apparently fucked up a number of guns and is out on the streets now. Either way the lmt is together again and I have to give a shout out to Tx_Aggie for the trigger guard repair article! I also appreciate all the other ideas everyone has floated, truly a great forum to be on ?

Now I own a south American lmt and a Danish police lmt as well, because of out of control spending ?

Semper fi
Horner
he sure did screw up that MARS lower good ..sad to see but glad you got it working again

question.. are the MWS over gassed.. I currently only have the MRP platforms and they seem to be gassed great for suppressed and unsuppressed

Kinda.

With the 16" CL barrel I have I was getting ejector swipes and occasional stovepipe failures with the original semi carrier and single ejector bolt, xh buffer and 762rc suppressor. Since going to the fa carrier and double ejector bolt it's been good.

d.wilson manufacturing

Contact d.wilson manufacturing. They are performing LMT MRP barrel conversions. The website only lists MRP, but I believe they have plans for the MWS as well...

Basically you purchase the barrel of your choice and then ship the barrel, upper receiver and cross bolts to them. They will convert the barrel and verify that it fits the upper correctly.

1587268041873.png
I've heard great things about his work

Kinda.

With the 16" CL barrel I have I was getting ejector swipes and occasional stovepipe failures with the original semi carrier and single ejector bolt, xh buffer and 762rc suppressor. Since going to the fa carrier and double ejector bolt it's been good.
weird.. you would think the carrier wouldn't cause that unless the extra weight for the full was needed

Question for you guys running these in 6.5. I'm gathering from my reading that the factory barrels are a bit over gassed with a can - has anyone cut down a 24 inch barrel to 20ish inches to have a smaller gas port, vs buying a factory 20 inch?

I just picked up a mars lower and am looking forward to building it out in 6.5. Will likely be supressed 100% of the time. Sorry if my question has been addressed already, I'm slowly making my way through the pages of this discussion.

- Will

Question for you guys running these in 6.5. I'm gathering from my reading that the factory barrels are a bit over gassed with a can - has anyone cut down a 24 inch barrel to 20ish inches to have a smaller gas port, vs buying a factory 20 inch?

I just picked up a mars lower and am looking forward to building it out in 6.5. Will likely be supressed 100% of the time. Sorry if my question has been addressed already, I'm slowly making my way through the pages of this discussion.

- Will

You can get a black river tactical custom ported gas tube or possibly a rubber city armory adjustable gas key. Both are around $50 iirc

For .308 suppressed all the time, I went with the custom ported gas tube. See my post a few pages back. Or experiment and make one of your own if you have several of the really small drill bits and some time for a few range trips.

Reactions: WillHugh
If you don't want to switch gas tubes, I went with a slashes xh buffer. I have both 308 and 6.5 cm barrels for my mws, I shoot suppressors 75% of the time and it functions flawlessly. Plus I can easily switch my buffers out whenever I want to, the only thing is slashes buffer is $130ish all said and done.

Reactions: Tono
Does anyone else’s dmr stock have up and down slop in the cheek piece? Mine does and it really annoying. Can’t get anyone to contact me back at lmt.

Hey guys got another question for you.

I run an LMT MWS, 16" 308 barrel, use a sico omega 300 can on it and have some reliability issues. Gun will shoot great for a mag or two, but then becomes really sluggish and not wanting to fully seat the next round. I have also noticed some gouging on the lower receiver right in front of the where the buffer tube screws into the lower receiver, not sure what would cause this as i don't see any rough spots on my bolt carrier. You guys have any idea or experience with this?

I run an LMT MWS, 16" 308 barrel, use a sico omega 300 can on it and have some reliability issues. Gun will shoot great for a mag or two, but then becomes really sluggish and not wanting to fully seat the next round. I have also noticed some gouging on the lower receiver right in front of the where the buffer tube screws into the lower receiver, not sure what would cause this as i don't see any rough spots on my bolt carrier. You guys have any idea or experience with this?

A couple thoughts?

How are you lubing the weapon? I know that the omega is a higher back pressure can, but that should only lead to increased bolt velocity/recoil. Not sure why it would go sluggish or gouge the lower,

With that being said, I would take a couple picks of the scaring and maybe a vidoe of whats going on and send get in touch with LMT's engineers, and have them work though the issue, they will take care of you.

Has anyone in here cut down a 16" lw to 14 or 14.5"? I wanted to get the 13.5" lw barrel but don't want to SBR my lower and it's not quite long enough to pin and weld a surefire muzzle device to make it to 16" without a spacer.
I will be using a surefire socom 762rc, and didn't know if the gas port size on the 16" will maybe work better suppressed when cut to 14 or 14.5".
Thanks for any input!

A couple thoughts?

How are you lubing the weapon? I know that the omega is a higher back pressure can, but that should only lead to increased bolt velocity/recoil. Not sure why it would go sluggish or gouge the lower,

With that being said, I would take a couple picks of the scaring and maybe a vidoe of whats going on and send get in touch with LMT's engineers, and have them work though the issue, they will take care of you.
1589318305154.png

Here is a photo of the issues i am having, I dont know why its doing this. I sent LMT an email and have not heard anything back yet, might call tomorrow and see. If anyone has an idea of why this is occurring that would be great!

View attachment 7324281
Here is a photo of the issues i am having, I dont know why its doing this. I sent LMT an email and have not heard anything back yet, might call tomorrow and see. If anyone has an idea of why this is occurring that would be great!

Looks like the bearing surface of the BCG hitting it. Is it a completely stock gun? Any left/right wiggle between the receivers?

It is completely stock!

and there is no wiggle between the receiver.
Are there any marks in the upper opposite of the gouge in the lower? If you remove the buffer spring and push the BCG and buffer fully rearward does it bind at the end of travel and how far does it go.

Are there any marks in the upper opposite of the gouge in the lower? If you remove the buffer spring and push the BCG and buffer fully rearward does it bind at the end of travel and how far does it go.
no marks in the upper, looks clean, BCG and buffer run smoothly inside the tube, not feeling any binds, visually inspected as well and appears to be fine

So Lmt replied and stated "those marks look normal". Kind of skeptical as this gun is pretty new in terms of round count (under 500). And i have other 308's with thousands of rounds on them and they do not look anything like that!

What about if you ditch the can-how does it run?

So Lmt replied and stated "those marks look normal". Kind of skeptical as this gun is pretty new in terms of round count (under 500). And i have other 308's with thousands of rounds on them and they do not look anything like that!
Look at the alignment between the upper and lower (right to left looking down). Yours is probably biased upper to the right, I'd likely send it back especially if it were causing a reliability issue. Regarding sluggish, that contact can cause a loss of energy, however I noticed my BCG was sort of dry and LP on the BCG bearing surfaces and the gas rings helped.

Look at the alignment between the upper and lower (right to left looking down). Yours is probably biased upper to the right, I'd likely send it back especially if it were causing a reliability issue. Regarding sluggish, that contact can cause a loss of energy, however I noticed my BCG was sort of dry and LP on the BCG bearing surfaces and the gas rings helped.
I will have to look into that. When i called LMT they basically said i was SOL. I am going to take it out this weekend and run a couple test the recommended and go from there. I appreciate the help though!!

Reactions: Sumet1
I will have to look into that. When i called LMT they basically said i was SOL. I am going to take it out this weekend and run a couple test the recommended and go from there. I appreciate the help though!!
I had a factory rifle with a little bias, .030 measured on the outside flat that runs down the middle of the receiver and extends on to the lower. Measure the difference between upper and lower flats on each side. Obviously there is a tolerance for off center bias. I discussed it with LMT support, he asked if it was causing cycling issues and offered to look at it if it were.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrumpdeleos
I have been looking around at the carbon barrels for the MWS, who is making them for the MWS 6.5 creed moor? Still have to rape an old barrel to get the extension?

I am having a Proof barrel converted for my small frame by Jeff @rivers Bend. I’ll have a report when it’s done. I’ve looked at a large frame barrel next to a large frame Proof barrel. I don’t think you could convert it like the examples of small frame barrels above. The Proof barrel I looked at didn’t have a long enough shank to be able to sleeve it. The shank In front of the extension on large frames is really large on LMT rifles.

Experts here

I have a factory complete LMT-308 upper and lower . I need a BCG and CH. can I use another companies 308 BCG in this LMT? Or do I have to go with the OEM lmt BCG???

Experts here

I have a factory complete LMT-308 upper and lower . I need a BCG and CH. can I use another companies 308 BCG in this LMT? Or do I have to go with the OEM lmt BCG???
I would use LMT. They modified the cam path and venting on the 308 carrier just like the 556 enhanced.

Reactions: Tono
Hello everyone, I did a search on the page, but sorry if I missed it.

For those of you running a non-factory/LMT charging handle on the LMT MWS what are you using? Ideally on suppressed setups. Thanks

I’d like to know what are the differences in a LMT/SR25 style BCG compared to say a toolcraft 308 BCG or PSA? The price difference is pretty substantial ...

Hello everyone, I did a search on the page, but sorry if I missed it.

For those of you running a non-factory/LMT charging handle on the LMT MWS what are you using? Ideally on suppressed setups. Thanks

I’m running a KAC ambi charging handle.
I shoot suppressed, but I use a SureFire RC, so gas blowback through the action is a non issue.

Reactions: TangoSierra916
I use Gemtech suppressed bolt carriers in both my large frame and small frame. They seem to work great suppressed and work like normal unsuppressed. I’ve tried the whole adjustable GB and low mass BCG thing. The suppressed bolt carrier is way better.

I use Gemtech suppressed bolt carriers in both my large frame and small frame. They seem to work great suppressed and work like normal unsuppressed. I’ve tried the whole adjustable GB and low mass BCG thing. The suppressed bolt carrier is way better.

I am a huge fan of the Gemtech SBC as well. I have 3 of them for my suppressed AR15s. Too bad they discontinued the 762 version.

Gave my LMT MWS 308 a full strip and clean today. I checked out the LMT site for the usual consumable spart parts. Mine is an earler model and has a one piece gas ring. LMT only lists; 308 inner gas ring, 308 outer gas ring?
Has the gas ring design changed?

The LMT 308 bolts that I have from 2019 have the one piece gas ring.

The .308 bolts that LMT shows on their website have the one piece gas ring.
https://lmtdefense.com/product/lm308d7/

It may be worth sending them an email to see if you can order a one piece gas ring...
I think of you take yours apart you will find there is an inner and outer has ring in there.

Reactions: LMT/556
20200601_151921.jpg

Got a 16" lw mlok put together. First large frame AR. Just need the bcg.
Does anyone happen to know the average wait time for special orders at v1tactical?
Seems like they have the best price, but not in stock.

Reactions: ja1911
View attachment 7343329
Does anyone happen to know the average wait time for special orders at v1tactical?
There area few listed on ar15.com EE/AR10 section. I have a semi-auto spare take-off. My last new one came from tombstone they had the best price but that was last year.

After watching that video it gets me wondering about the ARCA rail as well. Does anyone know how you could attach one to the LM8 slick sided receiver?

View attachment 7343329

I placed a special order for various parts a month ago and have estimated ship dates from May 30th to August 30th

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: kl7883 and Tanman
Love this thread! Question for you guys:

Everyone knows the LMT is pretty heavy in general, especially with the quad rail. This seems to be a good thing when using in the DMR type precision role, but not so much if you switch barrels for offhand shooting. Is it worth it to upgrade to the MLOK for weight reduction, or simply keep a longer barrel in the quad rail rifle and buy a second MLOK complete rifle with a lw barrel? Seems like selling the quad and buying the MLOK upper would require a decent outlay of cash anyway.