• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

As a follow up to my 6.5 barrel won't cycle at #3393 let me add this.

The XH buffer and spring came in. I tried it out and it made no difference. I'm not really surprised by that but what the hell. I can use it elsewhere. I'm not opposed to having extra parts. I don't think I'm alone in that here.

I then tried Federal GM 130 grain with the LMT H3 and spring. That does cycle the action. Interesting.
I had put together an Aero M5. Toolcraft BCG, Criterion barrel. I doesn't cycle the Hornady 120 ELD either with the LMT buffer and spring.
More interesting. Neither will cycle my first "reloads" (everything is new so is it reloading?). IIRC they were Nosler CC123 and about 41 gr of RE15.

So at this point I'm going to load up some 130TMKs and some Hornady 140s with some H4350 and see how that goes. I have also ordered an Odin adjustable buffer to go lighter with the 120 class rounds to see if that functions.

(and I never did get a follow-up from LMT CS)

Thats frustrating,

I know you said you called before but I would give them a call and tell them that you need an RMA for a barrel that you cant get to cycle. Something odd is definitely going on as my 6.5cm even runs with my slashes XH buffer that i got for my 13.5 barrel and can.

Their last customer service guy Gene was really good and just retired a couple months ago. I am going to be that they probably have somebody filling in for that role or are just figuring hit out.

(and I never did get a follow-up from LMT CS)
LMT is swamped. I had a minor selector issue I was discussing with Joel H**** and the CS just died off, as in he just disappears.

Usually LMT selectors are pretty crisp, as in they snap into position with a tactile click. Occasionally I get a lower that feels mushy, and I think sharp edges in the selector groove chew off the tip of the detent. Usually replacing the detent corrects the problem. Like I said, minor.

I have a spare lower that had the same issue. They sent me a new selector lever and had mentioned they have new coatings on it (Black now vs gray)...seems to have helped out but it still feels noticeably different from the complete MWS that I have. Their initial response was that it’s an item made for the military and the safety is designed to be rugged...that answer didn’t sit well with me, especially when I’m sitting there flicking the lever on 2 other complete rifles of theirs with no issues. I might see if I can just buy a detent for a few bucks to simplify things

Reactions: Sumet1
I've only noticed this with standard selectors, not the ambi version, and only 2 out of many so not a big deal really. It may be the detent material is too soft, either way replacing the detent usually fixes it.

At this point I'm not impressed by LMTs Customer Service.

I bought one of the 22" 6.5 Creedmoor barrels on the last Black Friday Sale. I was piecing together a MWS from V1 (mostly). When I finally got it all together that barrel won't cycle the action enough to pick up the next round. The only thing different from a stock MWS is a UBR stock and SSA-E trigger. All LMT parts otherwise. I have an 18" 7.62x51 barrel that works fine so far. I tried the 6.5 first with some reloads and wouldn't pick up the next round. It would eject the spent but then "click". Dammit.

I bought some factory 120gr Hornady ELD Match. Same story.

I called LMT. Response was "Check the gas tube". Pulled that, no issue.
Called again two days later. Got the voice mail, left a message. No response.
A week goes by, I call again. We talk about it, refreshing his memory. "Send me an e-mail " with the details. I do so within the hour.
No response.
Another week has gone by. It's pretty aggravating, and I'm a patient guy.

Just took out my Black Friday 22" 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel with a New unfired & uncleaned MWS with some CLP squirted on the bolt and it ran like a top, 100%.

Only fired 50 rounds (20 S&B 140gr, 10 Federal American Eagle 120gr, and 20 Hornady 147gr ELD Match). All from a single magpul loaded 20>10>20. Iron Flip Sights. S/A Carrier. No special Buffer or spring just stock.

Didnt check accuracy at all. Only Rapid fired it into about a 1.5" Circle at 25 yards.

Only thing to note is it kind of chewed up the brass picture below

Attachments

• 847B6080-F59B-48F9-9E3B-0AB1E4B2C63D.jpeg
    847B6080-F59B-48F9-9E3B-0AB1E4B2C63D.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I haven't been keeping up with LMT barrel options -- are they still making a 24" 6.5, or is it just 20" now? I'm wondering if I should get a 20" 6.5 barrel for regular use to keep the round count down on the 24" barrel.

Well this thread and the other on M4carbine got me to pull the trigger on a MWS Defender. I was pleased to see the ambi mag release on my lower, as I didn't catch that in the usual pictures. Trigger and stock will have to be replaced immediately.

I ran a mag of Federal steel case Match through it for function check, and my first impressions surprised me. The 16" barrel and MLOK weight savings made for a decent feel. Not piggish or overly front heavy in my estimation. I also thought that the recoil was pleasant and bet that will improve with a muzzle brake mount for a can.

I've decided to put a Steiner P4xi 4-16 on it, probably in a NightForce or Seekins 20moa mount. There will be a 6.5 barrel in it's future, but if I decide to stretch it out further or compete I may reevaluate for something else.

v1tactical is a good place to ask questions about sourcing items. John places very large orders to guarantee allocations, he can probably tell you what barrel is due and when.

Reactions: LilGucci
LMT did not stop making 6.5CM..they have only stopped production on 24" 6.5CM barrels. New guns will have shorter barrels.

Well this thread and the other on M4carbine got me to pull the trigger on a MWS Defender. I was pleased to see the ambi mag release on my lower, as I didn't catch that in the usual pictures. Trigger and stock will have to be replaced immediately.

I ran a mag of Federal steel case Match through it for function check, and my first impressions surprised me. The 16" barrel and MLOK weight savings made for a decent feel. Not piggish or overly front heavy in my estimation. I also thought that the recoil was pleasant and bet that will improve with a muzzle brake mount for a can.

I've decided to put a Steiner P4xi 4-16 on it, probably in a NightForce or Seekins 20moa mount. There will be a 6.5 barrel in it's future, but if I decide to stretch it out further or compete I may reevaluate for something else.
Congrats on the new rifle.

Hey folks, just ordered a MARS-H lower, MLOK upper, and 13.5” CL LW barrel. Excited to join the club!

Is the JP FMOS complete BCG compatible with the MWS or should I only use LMT’s BCG? Same question about their Silent Captured Spring system. I use both on the AR15 platform and I love them.

Hey folks, just ordered a MARS-H lower, MLOK upper, and 13.5” CL LW barrel. Excited to join the club!

Is the JP FMOS complete BCG compatible with the MWS or should I only use LMT’s BCG? Same question about their Silent Captured Spring system. I use both on the AR15 platform and I love them.

Not sure about the BCG but the 13.5 runs way to hot for SCS.

Not sure about the BCG but the 13.5 runs way to hot for SCS.

Thank you. Even if I add all Tungsten weights I assume? It looked like the factory “battle rifle” with the same barrel used an H3 buffer.

Finally got the Atlas bipod mounted and took the MWS to the range. Not bad in my opinion considering I was using Lake City 147gr FMJ. I have some Federal 175gr GMM in the mail so hopefully I'll get to test it out.
grouping.png

Thank you. Even if I add all Tungsten weights I assume? It looked like the factory “battle rifle” with the same barrel used an H3 buffer.

Been there done that. I had the spring kit as well as the tungsten weight. Tried pretty much all the combos.

With full size can. My mws was the most violent gas gun that I have ever fired. The bolt went past Ludacris speed straight to plaid.

Witch was unfortunate as I have a scs in my 10.5 mrp and i really like it.

Went with a slashes xh buffer and spring and runs perfect with a sandman k

Been there done that. I had the spring kit as well as the tungsten weight. Tried pretty much all the combos.

With full size can. My mws was the most violent gas gun that I have ever fired. The bolt went past Ludacris speed straight to plaid.

Do you think you could remedy this with a custom barrel and adjustable gas block?

Ah, makes sense. I’m going to be running an OSS 7.62 Ti can on mine, which should be much lower backpressure and resolve some of those issues.

Do you think you could remedy this with a custom barrel and adjustable gas block?

Absolutely but I think that doing so is somewhat counter to what an MWS is. I like the MWS because it is an incredibly reliable, bombproof rifle with almost 2 decades of down range use. its heavy and it works.

Now with that being said, I probably have 4 barrels for my MWS's, and see zero issues with spinning out a nice cut rifled bartline or Krieger to mess around with.

Ah, makes sense. I’m going to be running an OSS 7.62 Ti can on mine, which should be much lower backpressure and resolve some of those issues.

Nice, we messed around with some early gen OSS cans that turned themselves into rifled grenades and launched themselves down range, but I thought the concept was really cool, From what I hear, the latest gen cans are pretty good.

I think longer, quieter cans have their place, but right now, i really see the utilitarian of short, low back pressure cans as they are pretty much sounds the same at the shooters ear with foam ear plugs.

Reactions: Mitu
I recently (last fall) got the MWS in 6.5 CM with a 20 inch barrel and got a 16 inch .308 barrel beginning of the year. Paired mine with the Minox ZP5 5-25 on a spuhr mount. I've only gotten to shoot it a couple times so far and I love it! Two questions for fellow fans:

I have the 7.62 OSS Helix Ti in jail right now after some pretty extensive research and talking to the guys at Mile High, which is what they recommended. Is anyone else here using this supressor and how are your results?

Secondly, I'm considering going to the 3 day long range shooting class put on by Mile High and am wondering if anyone here has taken, if so what was your experience, and is this rifle is appropriate for this class?

Thanks for any input

You will love your OSS Helix 7.62. I have both the steel and Ti versions. It is my favorite suppressor for the AR platform by far. I still prefer the TBAC Ultra 7 (6.5) on my bolt rifles, but the OSS all the way on my AR's

I have an LMT CQB on order and looking to order an LMT MWS as well. Which can(s) would give me the best bet at running reliably without having to switch any stock parts out?

I have an LMT CQB on order and looking to order an LMT MWS as well. Which can(s) would give me the best bet at running reliably without having to switch any stock parts out?

I can recommend the Sandman K.

I have not heard about any issues with surefire cans.

Also any silencer that was designed with lower back pressure should do well on the mws. The new OSS cans look cool.

Reactions: richthe1
My 16” .308 MWS runs 100% with the SureFire 762RC.
It is completely stock.

Reactions: richthe1
I can recommend the Sandman K.

I have not heard about any issues with surefire cans.

Also any silencer that was designed with lower back pressure should do well on the mws. The new OSS cans look cool.
My 16” .308 MWS runs 100% with the SureFire 762RC.
It is completely stock.
Thanks for the feedback. Those are the ones my research continued to bring me back to when researching lower back pressure cans. I thought it was pretty cool OSS got selected for the army’s new HK rifle and the CSASS contract. Was also interested in the Sandman S, but not sure if the increased back pressure vs. the K would cause an issue.

The only other one I was looking at pretty heavily was the TBAC Dominus SR, but obviously no one has been able to try that yet. I also shoot bolt guns a lot, so the TBAC is pretty tempting in that regard.

Is there any issues running the 30 cal cans (like the 762 OSS or 762 Surefire) on the 556?

Not sure I can go wrong, but hard to decide between Surefire, dead air, OSS, and TBAC. Because once you get one it’s much easier to stick with one mounting system if (when) you get more down the line.

Last edited:
Are any of you running a TBAC ultra7 on your MWS or Mars H? I am looking very hard at LMT and that happens to be the only .30 cal can I have.

While I don't have a sandman S. I can offer my thoughts on the matter.

From a number of reviews, the K meters as quite if not quieter at the shooters ear than longer cans. Compared to my full size gemtec that causes pressure issues on my 13.5, I am inclined to agree with the data in the reviews.

With that being said, I really like the K. Also my GMT-300wm that causes overpressure issues on my 13.5 and 16 inch barrels is totally fine on my 18ss 308 and 20ss 6.5cm.

Reactions: long range sponge
You can buy a custom gas tube from Black River Tactical to tame your LMT if overpressure is an issue. I have two on my MWS guns bc I run a can 100%. They have it for 556 or 7.62. And if you want a tamed down gun that runs suppressed and unsuppressed that can be handled too. Just tell Clint what you want. Best of luck.

PB

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsp556
Thanks for the feedback. Those are the ones my research continued to bring me back to when researching lower back pressure cans. I thought it was pretty cool OSS got selected for the army’s new HK rifle and the CSASS contract. Was also interested in the Sandman S, but not sure if the increased back pressure vs. the K would cause an issue.

The only other one I was looking at pretty heavily was the TBAC Dominus SR, but obviously no one has been able to try that yet. I also shoot bolt guns a lot, so the TBAC is pretty tempting in that regard.

Is there any issues running the 30 cal cans (like the 762 OSS or 762 Surefire) on the 556?

Not sure I can go wrong, but hard to decide between Surefire, dead air, OSS, and TBAC. Because once you get one it’s much easier to stick with one mounting system if (when) you get more down the line.

Oss is g2g. Everyone should own atleast one. Tied with the dead air Nomad for my favorite can. I posted somewhat of a review a few months ago in the silencer section.

Sandman s is g2g. Everyone should also have one. One of those cans that your kids kids will one day shoot.

As far as Surefire goes there are other better options out there. I don't like they're locking system in their mount. Cs issues especially with silencers. They are normally pretty loud comparatively. I think the sandman or nomad beat it in every way. I do not own one but have let friends shoot my other cans. The no longer bring their surefires to the range.

Nomad is the perfect sweet spot for most. Its light, bigger diameter, more internal volume, quiet, and dead air will fix if you ever shoot it out. Mount compatibility. Plus their CS is top notch.

None of these have problems with 556

Hey folks, new MWS owner, got a 16” SS LW barrel. My first SS barrel. Any recommendations on barrel break-in?

No break-in needed, you might want to clean it before first range trip then shoot 200 to 300 rounds then clean again and so forth. Or when you start to lose accuracy. Enjoy, it's a bad bad boy!

PB

Reactions: Mitu

OSS 762 Ti owner here. Haven’t run it on the MWS yet, but I LOVE it on my other rifles. Low backpressure is truly impressive, runs so much cleaner.

Hi guys, looking to join the club. I have a MARS-H and an L lowers on the way from Primary Arms. Doing some research on the builds. Thinking of doing the MWS first... assuming I can find a BCG that isn't $800... but the weight has me concerned. Being weak and fat and all.

Has anyone had a Proof carbon barrel converted? I read they have the headspace for the JP bolt. Is the LMT bolt going to be an issue or can the JP bolt be used in the LMT carrier?

On the flip side, with the least likable person in US politics KAmala as the Veep pick for deteriorating Joe, I may just sell everything into this market and pick back up when things are cheap. Who knows... :cool:

Hi guys, looking to join the club. I have a MARS-H and an L lowers on the way from Primary Arms. Doing some research on the builds. Thinking of doing the MWS first... assuming I can find a BCG that isn't $800... but the weight has me concerned. Being weak and fat and all.

Has anyone had a Proof carbon barrel converted? I read they have the headspace for the JP bolt. Is the LMT bolt going to be an issue or can the JP bolt be used in the LMT carrier?

On the flip side, with the least likable person in US politics KAmala as the Veep pick for deteriorating Joe, I may just sell everything into this market and pick back up when things are cheap. Who knows... :cool:

Its really not that heavy unless you use one of the longer barrels and the old full picatinny uppers. Get the LW 16" barrel and MLOK upper and its around 8.7 lbs, 8.5 if you use the light weight 13.5". In other words less .8lbs more than a Scar 17 with either its 13" or 16" barrel at 7.7 or 7.9 lbs

Last edited:
Its really not that heavy unless you use one of the longer barrels and the old full picatinny uppers. Get the LW 16" barrel and MLOK upper and its around 8.7 lbs. 8.5 if you use the light weight 13.5". In other words less .8lbs more than a Scar 17 with either its 13" or 16" barrel at 7.7 or 7.9 lbs

Thank you. That is an idea. ... .8lbs isn't insignificant for a weak fat person like me though.

I've had a hard time finding weights on LMT stuff. Do you know the weight of the LW 16" offhand?

I also like the idea of the intermediate gas on the 16" Proof, but if it doesn't save enough weight then not worth the expense.

Thank you. That is an idea. ... .8lbs isn't insignificant for a weak fat person like me though.

I've had a hard time finding weights on LMT stuff. Do you know the weight of the LW 16" offhand?

I also like the idea of the intermediate gas on the 16" Proof, but if it doesn't save enough weight then not worth the expense.

The LW 16" in MLOK chassis should be 8.768lbs.
All MWS weights of all variants can be found on the spec sheet.