• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Fredo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2003
SLC, UT.
Anyone have a range report, or word from the Brit's deployed with them?

Re: LMT .308 MWS

I went to the LMT site last night and was less than impressed with the information available. I think they've got a great product from all of the reviews, but I was hoping to see a bit more about the MWS.

I heard that few civilian rifles were going to ship until the UK contract has been filled. Any idea when that will be?

They are in the middle of website reconstruction, not sure why the designer put up anything before the whole site was ready.

The best information available is on some Brit forums, sounded good enough for me to order one yesterday.

I was set on a piston system, they were out preformed for that particular selection.

Per several dealers, LMT was expecting a late March or April delivery date. I don't think any of them have made it in yet. Looking forward to seeing range reports from the average Joe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to the LMT site last night and was less than impressed with the information available. I think they've got a great product from all of the reviews, but I was hoping to see a bit more about the MWS.

I heard that few civilian rifles were going to ship until the UK contract has been filled. Any idea when that will be?</div></div>

I put my order in back in late Feb and was told it should ship in May.

I'm curious about these. One thing I noticed is that the cut at the rear of the upper and lower looks like the Armalite rifles but yet it takes KAC/DPMS type mags.

Wonder if the upper will fit an Armalite style lower?

I'm also wondering if LMT is going to offer barrels in .260 or 6.5 Creedmore. IMHO the worst thing about the MRP guns from LMT is that they won't sell you a barrel extension so that you can have your pick of barrel maker/caliber.

Guns and ammo mag did a review on the rifle and states August and the likely ship date to the US public.

I understand LMT is shipping some civilian MWS rifles 20 Apr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newguy2k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious about these. One thing I noticed is that the cut at the rear of the upper and lower looks like the Armalite rifles but yet it takes KAC/DPMS type mags.

Wonder if the upper will fit an Armalite style lower?
</div></div>

SR-25 compatible not Armalite.

Kevin:
To what extent are the MWS and SR-25 compatible? I have an MWS on order and plan to get an sr-25 EM carbine in the next month or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm hoping to have a range report in a month or so when mine ships. </div></div>

You and me both - my ship date is supposed to be May 25th.

I'm thinking about getting one.... would like to know more when they do come out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sideshowbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like they just hit the street:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166747170

Will someone here please buy it, shoot it, and post comments and pics about it. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">NOT FOR FULL RETAIL PLUS SHIPPING & TRANSFER FEE!
eek.gif
I WOULD RATHER PAY $2050 AT A LOCAL DEALER AND WAIT A COUPLE OF MONTHS.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sideshowbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like they just hit the street:

Will someone here please buy it, shoot it, and post comments and pics about it. </div></div>

eek.gif
I WOULD RATHER PAY $2050 AT A LOCAL DEALER AND WAIT A COUPLE OF MONTHS.</span> </div></div>

You wont find one for $2050 at a dealer in a few months....
They told us today most orders wont ship till Early August and prices will be around $2250.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RGAmos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kevin:
To what extent are the MWS and SR-25 compatible? I have an MWS on order and plan to get an sr-25 EM carbine in the next month or so. </div></div>

Well the lower is identical except engraving...

Can't wait to see more reviews on it. For that price is going up against the DPMS SASS. Some articles I saw the LMT has a 1 MOA performance. Anyone seen better?

I will be ordering mine in the next week or two... it should keep my MRP's good company!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sideshowbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like they just hit the street:

eek.gif
I WOULD RATHER PAY $2050 AT A LOCAL DEALER AND WAIT A COUPLE OF MONTHS.</span> </div></div>

You wont find one for $2050 at a dealer in a few months....
They told us today most orders wont ship till Early August and prices will be around $2250.00
</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">I was given a price of $2050 and a delivery date in July. It may actually take until August but a few hundred dollars in savings, is worth a few weeks wait to me.
cool.gif
</span>

And who gave you that price cause if LMT catches them they will not be sent one...

My MWS will be here tomorrow!

Cant comment on the peice yet,however I do have a DPMS SASS in my safe and with the load we worked up I have been VERY PLEASED.Only had an opportunity to test at 525yds but the performance was highly impressive.

After doing the feature on the L129A1 for Combat Arms magazine you'll find on newsstands right now, I broke down and spent my own money to buy one. I've extensively tested it on two occasions now. I just got back from an ITTS Urban Sniper course sponsored by Surefire (I used their suppressor on a LMT .308 MWS with a Nightforce 2.5-10X on loan to me). I shot multiple 3-shot groups (that's what Instructor Scott Reitz, LAPD SWAT ret., had each of us zero with) that measure sub-half MOA (I snagged my target for future reference). I had faster follow up shots than any of the bolt gun guys for the multiple target engagement scenarios and finished at the top of my class. It's such an accurate and dependable rifle. I had no malfunctions of any type and just wiped the carbon off the bolt carrier group each day and lightly lubed with Mil Pro 7.

I will say that I was impressed with one police officer's Surgeon .308. During one night, the officer let me shoot it at various Larue targets out to 375 yards with night vision. Head shots were easily repeatable with the Surgeon in prone and I followed with numerous body shots in the offhand position.

Eric R. Poole
Intermedia Outdoors

KYshooter338 said:
And who gave you that price cause if LMT catches them they will not be sent one...

<span style="color: #3333FF">So LMT will not supply their products to dealers who choose not to gouge their customers? What kind of sense does that make?
crazy.gif
</span> <span style="color: #3333FF">I would have been happy to share their business name until reading your post. They are really good guys and they treat their customers right. Sounds like you might be inclined to cause them some trouble for being good to their customers. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
KYshooter338 said:

<span style="color: #3333FF">So LMT will not supply their products to dealers who choose not to gouge their customers? What kind of sense does that make?
crazy.gif
</span> <span style="color: #3333FF">I would have been happy to share their business name until reading your post. They are really good guys and they treat their customers right. Sounds like you might be inclined to cause them some trouble for being good to their customers. </span> </div></div>

Im not inclined to do anything I just feel that your statement is full of hot air and that if this place exists they are selling for under MAP. I think thats undercutting. I just bought mine, waiting on the brown truck to show up right now. I was happy to pay what I did for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RGAmos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kevin:
To what extent are the MWS and SR-25 compatible? I have an MWS on order and plan to get an sr-25 EM carbine in the next month or so. </div></div>

Look at the LMT closely, you will see it is identical to our commercial guns, ambo mag release, but not the ambo bolt release from the M110/Mk11 Mod2...
wink.gif

I'll have my MWS here ina few days (should be by friday). I've got 500 rounds ammo just wating to be shot. I'll post a range report when I'm done...should be early next week

I just picked mine and threw on all my gear. Will get some pictures up shortly.... Its a impressive piece of kit. The fitment is great, very tight. The overall machining is top notch but I have come to expect that from LMT. I will need some 10 round mags though. I can already tell when going prone this long mag will get annoying hitting the ground.

15frorb.jpg

v5ljqv.jpg

34pi1jd.jpg

This last picture is my 10 shot group at 100 yards. Brand new rifle keep in mind, I cleaned the barrel prior to shooting, after the first 5 for the first box, and then I fired this 10 rounds group. I don't believe in the tedious barrel break in procedures.
m7bcr8.jpg

Shoots better then my LWRC REPR ever did....

Reactions: aku and Mdp777

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked mine and threw on all my gear. Will get some pictures up shortly.... Its a impressive piece of kit. The fitment is great, very tight. The overall machining is top notch but I have come to expect that from LMT. I will need some 10 round mags though. I can already tell when going prone this long mag will get annoying hitting the ground.

Standy by for pics. </div></div>

I make a 15rd LR20 that is shorter than the grip. Ask Market Garden about his experience with it as he was one of the testers of the prototype and used his in competitions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked mine and threw on all my gear. Will get some pictures up shortly.... Its a impressive piece of kit. The fitment is great, very tight. The overall machining is top notch but I have come to expect that from LMT. I will need some 10 round mags though. I can already tell when going prone this long mag will get annoying hitting the ground.

I make a 15rd LR20 that is shorter than the grip. Ask Market Garden about his experience with it as he was one of the testers of the prototype and used his in competitions. </div></div>I did have a problem with the factory length 20LR mags hitting the ground in situations where you need to have the butt of the gun relatively low. Ty @ MidwestPX sent me a mag to try, which was cut down a bit, and it was great. At that point the limiting factor was the length of the grip, and it definitely helped out in situations where I had to get low.

DSC_1895.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked mine and threw on all my gear. Will get some pictures up shortly.... Its a impressive piece of kit. The fitment is great, very tight. The overall machining is top notch but I have come to expect that from LMT. I will need some 10 round mags though. I can already tell when going prone this long mag will get annoying hitting the ground.

I make a 15rd LR20 that is shorter than the grip. Ask Market Garden about his experience with it as he was one of the testers of the prototype and used his in competitions. </div></div>

That would be great. Can you make them into 10 round mags or is that wishful thinking? I would be down to get a few of those 15 rounders for sure. They seem to be the ticket!

Thanks for the pics Market Garden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked mine and threw on all my gear. Will get some pictures up shortly.... Its a impressive piece of kit. The fitment is great, very tight. The overall machining is top notch but I have come to expect that from LMT. I will need some 10 round mags though. I can already tell when going prone this long mag will get annoying hitting the ground.

I make a 15rd LR20 that is shorter than the grip. Ask Market Garden about his experience with it as he was one of the testers of the prototype and used his in competitions. </div></div>

That would be great. Can you make them into 10 round mags or is that wishful thinking? I would be down to get a few of those 15 rounders for sure. They seem to be the ticket!

Thanks for the pics Market Garden </div></div>

The 10rd in the chopped down config is a little trickier. If I put a block inside the spring, it's short enough that it will bind up with the spring. If I make a mold that's the exact shape of the inside of the mag, it further compresses the spring to the point where an already-stiff spring may provide enough compression to cause problems with feeding. The other method would be attaching something to the follower but due to the design of the follower, that's pretty tough and less than robust.

I have one of his modified mags for my OBR. Bought after I had the same problem trying to get low enough to chrono it. I highly recommend it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: socket70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MidwestPX - does the fact that the bottom plate is pinned mean it can't be removed for cleaning? </div></div>

Correct however one solution is to dunk the mag in a bucket, depress the follower and swish it around. I have yet to have a customer have a problem with something finding it's way into a pinned mag that didn't wash out using this method and I've sold lots and lots of pinned mags.

After shooting this one and shooting a friends M110 from Knights I will say the fit on the LMT is much better. He also has had some issues with jamming and mis feeds. This one out of the box shot all 60 rounds today with no issues. Even suppressed I barely had to clean it. The MWS is proving to be a keeper and a real shooter.

Where did you buy your LMT?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you buy your LMT? </div></div>

Midwest Gun Exchange. They only had one for sale when I bought mine.