• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

LMT MWS issue

MO_Boy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2013
Hello all,
I have been lurking for some time now. Enjoy all the info! I bought a MWS last summer and have shot less than 200 rounds through it. Saturday night, I was doing a quick cleanup on it and noticed there is a grey coating ( teflon?? ) inside the upper receiver that is peeling off where the carrier rides. Has anyone else seen this issue or know of it? I keep her well oiled and as I said,, haven't shot it near as much as I would like..... I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
MO Boy:D

There was an issue with the coating on the bolt carrier group (that LMT makes right) but what you are describing sounds different.

The buffer tubes are coated with a teflon finish that I would consider a wear finish. If same is inside the upper walls I would expect it would show wear.

My best guess. I only have 100 rds through mine and havent had it apart since initial wipedown. Ill be sure to pay attention.

Last edited:
That gray stuff is called Dry film lube. It will come off with certain solvents. It is nothing to worry about. It is not meant to last forever and the rifle doesnt need it at all.

I actually removed all of it the first day I got my gun. Under the film is nice black anodizing.
The reason I removed mine was because I used BreakFree CLP and the Gray stuff got very sticky and and was coming off. So I just removed it all. The Rifle runs great with out it.