• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Load Data Question

Wilsun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Lincoln, Nebraska
I'm new to reloading (this will become clear).

I purchased some Lapua Scenars however the only powder I have is RL-15.

I took it for granted that there would be load data available online for this combination.

After searching through my reloading books (I only have two so far, but one has load data for many manufacturers--just not Lapua) and looking online (Lapua's site only lists data for the Finnish powder mfr. that starts with a "V", Alliant has Speer bullet data).

I don't really want to go off the word of a stranger from the internet (i.e. I would rather see some reloading data from a manufacturer for safety's sake).

I also will NOT experiment on my own (I'm too new to this)...

So are my options to buy the Finnish powder (seems to be out of stock at a lot of places) or just return the bullets and use something more mainstream (Hornady, for example?)?

Or is there a source of information that I'm missing?

Thanks

P.S. How do the more experienced loaders do this? do you guys ever load rounds without published load data? Just curious.

Re: Load Data Question

assuming you have a 308. Try this load right here,

155 Lapua Scenar
45.7 grains of Reloder 15
Loaded to an OAL of 2.835

and to answer your question yes i have loaded without published data i will find some data on here and rock on, if you dont feel comfortable loading that load i just gave you, work up from 44 grains, but i assure that load will work well for you and not give you any problems

Just out of curiousity where abouts are you, might help someone who lives close by help you out a little more

Re: Load Data Question

Thanks for the quick reply, Deadly.

.308 is indeed what I have. I updated my location in my profile (Nebraska).

44 grains "feels" safe but again, I have only reloaded .30-06 up to this point so my instincts are not exactly developed yet.

I'm going to wait and see if anyone else has some input before jumping into it. Thanks again!