• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development for multiple AR’s

Vicdiesel

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2014
South Texas
Thinking of using my .223 24” barreled bolt action rifle to settle on charge weight and primer choice for load development in both the bolt action and my AR’s.
I want to use the 6.5 guys/ Eric Cortina method of determining charge weight with given components and hope my results will reason translate to my ARs.

is this a realistic goal?

i have xbr and cfe223 for powder and projectiles will range from 55gr to 77gr.
Bolt action is 1/8, AR‘s very from 1/7, 1/7.5, and 1/8.... if that matters.

thanks!!!

IMO the time for nitpicky load developement is past.

I would Load 2% under max for your AR's, set seating to 2.25" OAL to feed through the mags, and make sure all are zeroed.

If you are gonna shoot from now on, be sure you get full training value from every round.

Basically to get the best case senario for a single load to work for all your guns would need the same barrel profile, length, and same reamer used for all the barrels. If your chasing the best accuracy possible then no you cant make a single load that will give the best results for all your guns. If you just want them to function and shoot relatively okay then maybe. Barrel length is one of the determining factors, different lenghts mean different OBT and so different OCW to get the best results. Then theres leade / seating depth. Different reamers , different leades and therefore different coals. Odds are the best coal for your bolt action rifle is longer then the coal that will let you fire from the magazine from your ar's. If you were stubborn and stick to the AR seating depth that lets you fire from the magazine and base your charge weight around that, and expect that charge weight to perform well for guns with different barrel lenghts you'd be lucky to find a single charge weight, but it really depends on your expectations.

primers , if it works well for one powder for roughly the same charge weight it should work well for small varying charge weights.

Reactions: camocorvette
i realize all the variables involved with reloading but..... if Federal can make ammo that shoots well in different rifles.... I don’t see why I can’t find a combination of components that does reasonably well also......

Reactions: Rog2069
i realize all the variables involved with reloading but..... if Federal can make ammo that shoots well in different rifles.... I don’t see why I can’t find a combination of components that does reasonably well also......
Ever chronograph factory rounds? They are usually on the slow side.

Reactions: greg1147
Try a 77 at mag length with 23.4 of 8208xbr and a #450 primer.
That load seems to shoot well with an acceptable ES in most any rifle.

For the distances I commonly shoot my AR’s at I don’t do any fancy loading procedures.
Just get it to the speed I want and call it good.
Maybe do a jump test if it’s a load for a single rifle.

In addition to different bbl lengths, your ARs may have different twist rates as well. I have 1/7, 1/8, 1/9 and there are a few more out there. You CAN find a good load that does reasonably well in all the AR's (like 1.5 MOA) but I highly doubt it'll perform optimally in your bolt action.

I understand that federal runs a bit slow but my thinking is that they have chosen a lower node.
The point being that federal has been able to make a load that shoots well in numerous rifles with different barrel lengths in both bolt action and semi.
I’ll give it a go and report back..