• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kung Kuling

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2017
Hi
I am planning on developing a load for my 20", 11/1, 308 with Berger 185 juggernaut, vv n550, cci 250, lapua brass. I want maximum safe velocity and my question is: Do I really have to start at the minimum powder amount in the load manual to be safe?

It is about 41grains and to me it seems very mild and wasteful since I want maximum safe velocity. Is it ok to start a bit higher? How high?

KK

I wouldn’t. Most times best accuracy isn’t at the top of the pressure limits anyways. Maybe start a grain or so higher if you’ve ever reloaded before and have an idea for how this might shoot but if this is your first rodeo then do it right and don’t blow your face off.

^^^^^agreed^^^^^ this is not the part of this hobby to cut corners. Think about it this way; take your time and be thorough with the load development since this will be the load you use for a long time and spend a good amount of money on. Shaving $10 off a section of the safe charge range may cost you much more in the end. Read through the 308 thread in the reloading depot section for info specifically for the powder and bullet you are going to use. Lots of good info there.

You could always load one round per charge weight, starting at your minimum load and working up to your max a half grain at a time. This is how I determine a safe max load.

I've always started with the start charge and work my way up. Every single time the groups get smaller up to a point, then they start to open up. I've found around where the accuracy node is. I pull the rest then fine tune with seating depth. Another short charge weight ladder and I have accuracy as good or better than premium factory ammo.

If I still need more velocity, I buy a bigger rifle.

There's also the option to reduce max load by 10%, may not work with the range of powder weights in a 308, but -10% may be bigger than listed start charge.

Last edited:
You could always load one round per charge weight, starting at your minimum load and working up to your max a half grain at a time. This is how I determine a safe max load.

This is how I do it as well. Usually load 8-12 rounds and shoot one at a time inspecting each case for ejector marks and checking/feeling bolt lift and extraction with EVERY shot. Some guys do this with their OCW but I prefer to do it as a separate test to avoid having too many rounds to tear down when I find pressure signs. Once I see pressure, even slight, I back off to the last round that showed NO signs and use that as my maximum to base my OCW on just to have a safety window. Be aware of powder temperature sensitivity and the ambient temperature when you are performing your test as this can affect pressures.