• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

load for 75 gr. .223

ugadeer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2009
Athens, GA
Looking for some advice/starting point for a hunting load in my AR

I want to shoot the 75 gr. Swift Scirroco bullets in my AR for southern Whitetails......I know that i need to stick to factory seating depths for the mags but that's about all i know.

My rig is a custom upper, 20" walther 1-8 wylde chamber on a spikes lower with dpms lpk, magpul prs stock, burris 3-12x50 XTR in XTR rings on a RRA scout rail......

I have only test fired this rifle and was limited in the shop to 30 yards.....shot 3 sighters then a 5 shot group that produced a single hole with GA Arms 75gr Match ammo.....

any advice as to powder, velocity etc. would be extremely helpful....thanks

Re: load for 75 gr. .223

I've just started working on a load for my 24" 1in8 AR15.

I'm using 77gr Matchkings pushing them with Hodgdon VARGET. These are seated to mag length.

I've loaded 2 batches so far.
24.4grs - 2752fps
24.6grs - 2767fps

This is all preliminary data - I've just started working up a load for this rifle. I'm actually hoping to sling some more this weekend.

24.5gr RL15 and a OAL of 2.260 works real well for me.

I have been running a Prvi Partizan bullet that someone gave me in 75 grain.

22.5 gr of H322
OAL of 2.28 IIRC
2700 and change out of 22 7/8" barrel

I use 24 grains TAC with the 75 grain Hornady, mag length. I get 2800 fps with a 20" 1 in 8 barrel.

Reactions: samlebo827

Here is another, I don't use the 75's but I do use Sierra 77 SMK's with 24.3 gr. RE15, 2.260 OAL, LC brass, and Winchester primers out of a 1-7 twist WOA upper on my service rifle, running right at 2740 fps. Maybe that will give you some help.

23.8g RL 15 in LC or Win brass with a Hornady 75g HPBT match bullet. Need a tough primer and DO NOT use this load in Fed brass - its thicker and you WILL increase pressure (pierced and blown primers).

26.5(C*) Ramshot Big Game with HDY 75gr HPBT Match (Moly). Wicked accurate out of Sav 10FP 24".

Greg

WOW thanks a ton guys.......that is a bunch of great info for me to start with......feel free to keep it coming, i have Varget and RL 15 in stock right now so i'm probably going to start with those loads for testing......i'll keep you posted

Ive always loved h4895 with 75-77gr magfed ammo.
Winchester primers and brass,and LC brass.

I can get amazing accuracy/consistency(for what i'm doing anyways) from a cheap lee Perfect powder measure using this powder.

My best load yet is
75 amax
loaded to 2.455 COAL
24.3 gr IMR 4895
= 2860 fps
best groups 300-600 yds out of Rem SPS 1:9 20" barrel.
YMMV Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugadeer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW thanks a ton guys.......that is a bunch of great info for me to start with......feel free to keep it coming, i have Varget and RL 15 in stock right now so i'm probably going to start with those loads for testing......i'll keep you posted </div></div>

I also use the 75 gr Swift Scirocco II and let me warn you that is a long bullet. It is longer than the 77gr SMK by a good 0.1 inch and this means it will be deeper into the case. The ogive is more secant than tangent so more of the bullet's mass (volume) will be in the case than with the 77gr SMK or the 75gr Hornady. All this to say, that you had better do a good job settling the powder in the case before you seat the bullet. When I load the Scirocco (w/ 24.5gr Varget), I gently tap the loaded case on a piece of wood several time to help settle the powder, this way I don't hear crunching when I seat the bullet.

Great bullet, BTW; good choice for deer.

thanks for the info Sig......i noticed that the bullet is longer and was actually going to ask about that.....i will probably start loading this week and am going to start with the varget.....i figured i would also drop the powder from in an elevated spiral to try and settle it, then tap it down.....i too hate the "crunch".......i should have the new lower in for the rifle by the end of the week so i hope to have some results up here soon.........thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ol Rob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My best load yet is
75 amax
loaded to 2.455 COAL
34.3 gr IMR 4895
= 2860 fps
best groups 300-600 yds out of Rem SPS 1:9 20" barrel.
YMMV Rob </div></div>

Fat fingers?
I don't think you can put 34.5 grains in a 223 case, maybe 24.3 gr. IMR4895?
Geramo.

223Rem
Win or R&P Brass
75AMAX kissin the lands
24.0 BenchMark
Fed 205M
2975 FPS via 26" tube

This load has always worked well for me. It's a little on the slow side compared to some of the loads above, but seems to be more accurate in my rifle than hotter loads I've tried.

75gr Hornady HPBT
22.5 Varget
CCI 400
Winchester Brass

This load easily produces less than 1" groups all day at 100 yards and 1/2" or less if I'm having a good day.

My rifle is a 16" 1:8 twist AR.

Hawkeye- do you happen to know what fps you were getting on this load?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hawkeye- do you happen to know what fps you were getting on this load? </div></div>

I do not. I've been very curious, however, I do not have a chrony yet as the safe I just purchased is leaving me lacking in the funds department. I will try to borrow one from someone to clock a few and will post results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HawkeyeEngineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hawkeye- do you happen to know what fps you were getting on this load? </div></div>

I do not. I've been very curious, however, I do not have a chrony yet as the safe I just purchased is leaving me lacking in the funds department. I will try to borrow one from someone to clock a few and will post results. </div></div>

Are you loading to mag length? 2.260

I have 2 1:8 twist Rock Rivers. One is a Predator the other a Varmint...both with 20" barrels. I have experimented with various loads from 52 gr up and the 68-77 gr bullets have performed extremely well from the start...and even better when I slowed them down. I don't have the chrono info but the 75 gr Hornady performed outstanding with 22.5 grains of Varget and 22.0 grains of RL-15. These loads are a little slower than some would like...but they all go in the same hole.