• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Loading 223 with Varget and 55 gr FMJ. Getting compression at 26.5 gr

philly1010

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2005
Savannah, Ga
Like the title says, Loading 223 with Varget and 55 gr FMJ. Getting compression at 26.5 gr. Anybody else limited at this point?

I compress with 69 or 77 SMKs at around 25 grains or so

Kind of a waste of varget - 55gr FMJs in 223...

Varget is much better suited to the 77+ bullets, for accuracy purposes. Maybe consider some Win748 or H335?

Anyway, I used to squueze 25.5gr under an 80amax for my service rifle, though they were nowhere near magazine compliant.

I have been getting good results with 26 gr of varget and a 52gr bullets. I have tried a few in the 55 gr and for some reason the 52s just group so much better for me. Keep in mind I am not shooting a custom bolt action rig, just a bushmaster and a 16 in barrel. No mods done other than the jp trigger springs. I can shoot at or less than 1" with a 5 shot group at 100yds. the 55 grain bullets didn't do as well maybe (1.5-2.5in) unless the velocity was much less. This was just my testing.

Like the title says, Loading 223 with Varget and 55 gr FMJ. Getting compression at 26.5 gr. Anybody else limited at this point?

Compressed loads are fine (as long as safe max is not exceeded).

If you look at data on Hodgdon's website, some loads using 55gr bullets and Varget have a "C" after the charge weight. This denotes that the charge is compressed.

Out of my Remington VLS I use a Sierra 55 gr Blitzking, Winchester case, CCI 400 and 26.5 grs of Varget. Yes it's a compressed load but when you get a 10 round group with all holes touching each other and stay under an inch who can ask for more. I am getting a velocity of 3200 fps measured 15 feet from muzzle.

Is it me or does something magical happen when varget crunches, maybe an angel gets its wings. I often get my best groups with varget at that point, doesnt matter if its a 55 grain, 69 grain or a 168 in a .308

Kind of a waste of varget - 55gr FMJs in 223...

Varget is much better suited to the 77+ bullets, for accuracy purposes. Maybe consider some Win748 or H335?

Anyway, I used to squueze 25.5gr under an 80amax for my service rifle, though they were nowhere near magazine compliant.

I agree. But anytime I put W748 (tried BL-C(2) also) the ball powder seeps out of my Saturn powder funnel and gets everywhere. I am not getting a good seal between the funnel and the case. So I was trying Varget, which I usually only use in my bolt 308s and the 243. I need to buy a different powder funnel to see if I can get all of the powder in the case. I load for a few calibers and the 223 is the only one that this happens with.

Last edited: