• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lockig Lug grease alternative?

tunacan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Utah, SLC
I ordered a few items from sinclair but I forgot to order high heat grease for my lugs. I called them back today and the fellow I talked to recommended anti-seize.
I went down to my local Napa and picked up some copper Permatex high heat anti seize.

Is this a good route to go? Can anyone say give me a reason not to go this route?

Re: Lockig Lug grease alternative?

Anti seize is not grease and will get very thick with little working. I don't think
it will hurt anything but it may get pretty hard to rotate the bolt as it thickens. It's
made to prevent seizing under high pressure in more of a one time on and off
application.

high temp wheel bearing grease. tell the guy at napa you want bearing grease for disk brake applications. skip the anti seize.

Pretty sure this is what George used on my lugs when he shipped me my rifle. Copper based is good stuff.

I have had Syncolon grease recommended to me. However, it's tougher to find. In its absence, I use copper anti-seize. A little goes a long way.

An alternative is Mobil 1 synthetic general purpose grease. It's the same red grease that many places sell in syringes for gun grease. $12 for a life time supply. Go to your local pharmacy and ask for dental cleaning syringes that kids with braces use to clean around their braces with. I get them for $1 a piece. (If you know someone with kids that have braces they can probably get a few for you free. Our girls used to get a couple every few weeks when they went in for a check-up.) Use a tongue depressor to load the grease in the back and your ready to go. Every time you clean the rifle clean the bolt lug raceways. Then put 2 spots the size of a BB on the back side of each bolt lug. Work the bolt a couple of times to get the grease where it needs to go. You're set to go shooting.

An old gunsmith told me to use STP oil treatment. A tiny dab on each lug will do you.

savvy the stuff that don't attract dirt and dust or sand or any other wind blown abrasive junk into your action.....

most i shoot with leave their stick on the ground....they get dirty

.......then....one must consider what to use in extreme temps !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">savvy the stuff that don't attract dirt and dust or sand or any other wind blown abrasive junk into your action.....

most i shoot with leave their stick on the ground....they get dirty

.......then....one must consider what to use in extreme temps !!! </div></div>

And...the...survey says ??

Survey says...................

i have has a 3oz tube of super lube for about 25 years...its a synthetic grease w/Teflon.....it do not attract the dirt and sand too bad....but anything will be defeated by a hard wind-blown sand storm ....so a scope cover and or a TAB rifle cover helps keep the action covered and protected.

another lube requires the use of a hair dryer or oven ...

militec-1

clean the bolt and heat ...then apply the militec to absorb into the structure of the surface of the steel....(read the instructions on the container)....this slickens thing up quite well and do not attract......

I use a little tub of Brownells action grease, it has lasted at least ten years and I dab it on with a toothpick. There is also another new product out there, Ultra Gun Shield, it is applied to the entire bolt and allowed to cure for a couple of days. Im still curing mine and will let you know how it goes. I already applied it to the rails on my 1911 and it seems pretty nice, about like having everything coated in NP3.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/catalog/p...047b980309f2d9b

I have tried many kinds of grease for my worked over Rem action, C5a antiseize works pretty good, so does Lubriplate, but Boltripper let me use some of his Super Lube(that is the actual name on the tube) and it is by far the best I have ever tried, a 3oz tube on eGay is less than 10 bucks delivered.

CMD Anti-Scoring Extreme Pressure Lube #3.It is used as a lathe
center point lubricant.A little goes a long way.

I've used the Mobil1 synthetic universal grease and found it to be a bit thick. Lucas makes a thinner stickier lithium formula (still red) that is closer to the stuff shooters choice red is.

on my proper shotguns...i use S T O S...i come in a small plastic tub....and it is Slicker Than Owl Shit......really !!

That STOS stuff is impressive worked great on the Ponsness reloaders, super sticky and slick. It reminds me of Slick Honey grease used in the mountain biking industry for fork lube but you could buy a 1 pound tub of the slick honey for what 2 little jars of the STOS costs. Interestingly I see now they are marketing slick honey as a paint ball gun lubricant and doubled the price in the process.

Since you never seem to get a clear winner on lubes, everyone has their own things that work well for them to me that says that in most cases it's not what you lube with (within reason) it's that you lube properly and frequently clean out the old contaminated lube and get fresh lube in there. The exception to that might be weather related issue such as extreme cold needing a dry or thin lube that is cold temp resistant, or a extremely dusty/sandy environment working poorly with wet sticky lube or grease due to heavy contamination.