• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

any caracal 816 owners here?

tucaz

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2012
The Dirty T, AZ
i picked up a used 11.5” caracal piston upper locally for $700 and really like it. it shoots well, is soft shooting and plenty accurate

the only thing that bugs me is the gas adjuster gets carboned up pretty fast, 400 rounds and doesnt want to rotate without pliers or a rod in the loop.

has anyone one put 2000 rounds on one without cleaning the gas plug? will it eventually freeze up if i dont keep it cleaned?

i cleaned it out today and put some high temp caliper grease in there and might try copper anti-seize compound next.

somewhat disillusioned because my LWRC’s dont need cleaning, at all.

My understanding is that one or two of the gun designers of the HK 416 team- left HK, then got hired by Sig for the great Sig 516 and a bunch of other Sigs like the MCX, then went to Caracal to design the 816 piston gun. It should be a good design.

it seems solid. the piston design definitely had some thought into it

i do have a bit of gripe on the detents for the rotating piston part that sets the gas port size. there is a pin you push in to rotate it but it only locks on the suppressed setting.

on the adverse and normal you can rotate without pushing in the detent pin.

other than that, its certainly worth the $700 i spent.

just looking for feed back from owners with more rounds down range than me.

Reactions: Milf Dots