• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Long Range Precision AK and 9mm Adapters

LilGucci

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2019
What are my options? Is it easy to build a long-range AK? And no, I don't want Kalash based Dragunov AK, or variants of it from China. Do long-range 308-based AK's exist? Barrel options?

tumblr_o5xw7xSzMk1qa93r9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pxoiuaABd01y5qntgo1_640.jpg

What about 9mm adapter options for Glock or other pistol mags?
ezgif-5-32256f100590.png

The Fime Group Molet Vepr 308 is an option, but it isn't very pretty. If there are hand-guard options for it, then I'd consider it.
0025346_molot-vepr-308-205-barrel-rifle-folding-tubular-stock-left-side.jpeg

What are my options? Is it easy to build a long-range AK? And no, I don't want Kalash based Dragunov AK, or variants of it from China. Do long-range 308-based AK's exist? Barrel options?

View attachment 7187898
View attachment 7187900

What about 9mm adapter options for Glock or other pistol mags?
View attachment 7187899

So you want a long range AK that can also shoot 9mm? Really?

It would seem that you want more from a platform then it is capable of. If you want a semiautomatic platform then why not go with kne that works? As you already have a thread asking about the compatibility of differant Large frame ARs.

This is like trying to drive a nail in with a wrench...... you can do it but it is not the best way at all to do so.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get an AK that wasn't in its native calibre, or one built for long range work. That's a big draw of the platform, cheap surplus ammo and loose tolerances to maintain reliable operation. That does not equate to an easily accurized platform at all, though I love the AK like a fat kid loves cake for its true merits. While many individual examples are very accurate such is not the norm, you'd be better off with a different platform. As far as 9mm Glock whatever for the AK, no, unless you have a fully configured rendition of an AK in 9mm which was built to accept Glock mags or a Glock mag kit it's not going to happen. The AK is not as popular or nearly as modular by design as the AR or even the SCAR platforms, you'll be rolling a rock uphill the entire time trying to make it something it's not.

Last edited:
Well you say you don't want a Drag or a ChiCom copy, so that removes the NDM-86 from the list. The Romanian FPK/PSL was made by some US groups in .308 Win but they're rare as hen's teeth. As you say, there's the Molot Vepr or Saiga 308, and that might be the one you ought to go with. There's also the Zastava M76 in 8mm Mauser, or a Tabuk clone if you're okay with using 7.62x39. Assault Weapons of Ohio makes a M76 in .30-06 as well as 8mm, but there seem to be conflicting reports on AWO's build quality.

Reactions: LilGucci
So you want a long range AK that can also shoot 9mm? Really?

It would seem that you want more from a platform then it is capable of. If you want a semiautomatic platform then why not go with kne that works? As you already have a thread asking about the compatibility of differant Large frame ARs.

This is like trying to drive a nail in with a wrench...... you can do it but it is not the best way at all to do so.

No, I want one for accuracy out to 600 yard's and a pistol caliber build. It's just one of the fun projects I want to do next year.

No, I want one for accuracy out to 600 yard's and a pistol caliber build. It's just one of the fun projects I want to do next year.
An M76 or PSL will certainly take you out to 600y, farther even and still have some kick to it. The Tabuk not so much, since it's basically a long-barreled AK with a scope on; they were designed to be a halfway point between a regular AK/RPK and a Drag/PSL for more urban-warfare distances in the Middle East and blend into a squad of AK riflemen much easier since they're very similar in appearance to an RPK. I think they retain full-auto fire, too. But the Tabuk has the advantage of using any AK mag you want from 10-shot plastic to 75-round drums, while any of the larger cartridges require dedicated magazines that don't interchange.

AKs are hard to accurize. As was mentioned, they just weren't designed for that. For 308, I recommend a Molot VEPR. They are built a little heavier and they are nice guns. I had a 308 Super VEPR back in the day that was a really nice rifle. It had the long barrel, 23" or something like that.

While it functioned flawlessly, it was heavy and a chore to wield. Best group I ever got was 2" off a bench, sandbagged, with FGMM in 168, 175. Tried everything from handloads to the best factory match. 2" was the best and 2.5" - 3" was more common. It just wasn't made to be a precision rifle though it was made to look like one.

Anyways, if it were me, I would find a 308 VEPR. You may get one that shoots better, you never know. Thing is by the time you drop the coin for the VEPR you could build a big block AR that shoots circles around it.

I like AKs, I have 2 I built myself from kits. They serve their purpose. But I wouldn't trade my large frame AR for 2 VEPRs in 308. I love it, it shoots amazing, it handles amazing, it's my favorite rifle.

As far as a 9mm AK, there are a couple models out there now that take glock mags in 9mm. There again, I think the AR platform is better if your gonna be shooting a lot. My AKs are 7.62x39 and 223. They are beaters and I've shot them a lot. But they don't get much play anymore, I just have them to have them. I go to my ARs for everything, but that's my preference.

If that is the case then for 9mm have you looked at the 9mm AKs that PSA has?

As for a 7.62x39 long range..... i am not even sure if anyone does barrels for that.

If you really want something like that maybe a 7.62x39 AR?

An M76 or PSL will certainly take you out to 600y, farther even and still have some kick to it. The Tabuk not so much, since it's basically a long-barreled AK with a scope on; they were designed to be a halfway point between a regular AK/RPK and a Drag/PSL for more urban-warfare distances in the Middle East and blend into a squad of AK riflemen much easier since they're very similar in appearance to an RPK. I think they retain full-auto fire, too. But the Tabuk has the advantage of using any AK mag you want from 10-shot plastic to 75-round drums, while any of the larger cartridges require dedicated magazines that don't interchange.
You seem to have a high opinion of the PSL. That tells me that you don't own a PSL.

You seem to have a high opinion of the PSL. That tells me that you don't own a PSL.
My opinion of the PSL extends as far as "it's a 7.62 Russian AK-based DMR that can put a bullet out to 600 yards and is not a Dragunov". Is that in any way an incorrect statement? And no, I don't own one. I don't own anything AK-based yet. I felt it was worth including as an option in case the OP decided against a .308, doesn't mean I have a high or low opinion of it.

My opinion of the PSL extends as far as "it's a 7.62 Russian AK-based DMR that can put a bullet out to 600 yards and is not a Dragunov". Is that in any way an incorrect statement? And no, I don't own one. I don't own anything AK-based yet. I felt it was worth including as an option in case the OP decided against a .308, doesn't mean I have a high or low opinion of it.
No, you summed it up fairly enough. It will hit a man sized target at 600 yards. Just be aware that you never know where on that target it will hit. It's a cool gun, I just don't want someone reading this to get the impression it will be in the same ballpark as people have come to expect of even bargain priced AR's these days.

For an AK derivative that is more accurate than most, find a Galil - or some development on the rifle that first Galils were built on: Finnish RK 62.

Elsewhere, somebody has taken a Valmet Petra (aka Valmet (M-88) Hunter ) in 308
petra.jpg

and rebuilt it a bit:

petra2.jpg

Still, I'm not all that sure you'll get MOA accuracy.

Uh, find a different project man, lol. I know that's not what you want to hear, but....

I had some extra money at one point and bought a MSAR, a AK/AR hybrid - can't remember the name, and a Sig patrol carbine, all in 223/5.56. I already had an accurate AR15. After it was said and done the AR15 was at least twice as accurate as the competition, and just as reliable, with a far superior trigger, etc, so I sold the others. It was a learning experience and I kinda wish I had the money back from the loss of selling.

I would find zero joy whatsoever in shooting a 2-3 moa capable rifle at long range, I don't care how cool it might look, or that it is different, especially so if I built it! And the thought of wasting $$$$ that could have gone to a fruitful endeavor would suck.

So far my 9mm effort (CZ Scorpion Carbine - 16” barrel) is only looking like a 2moa piece at best.... but we’ll see where it ends up. An occasional group of 5 in one ragged hole - then the next group is 3moa. And it will run out of steam and drop like a stone at 400yds with a 16’ holdover. Really only going to shoot it to 200 yds suppressed.

The beauty of this forum is the wealth of knowledge and experience that is available with just asking a question. There are always new people getting into guns and there is a learning curve. It's beneficial to be able to learn from others real world experiences.

Yeah I'll abandon this project. There are so many cooler 9mm I have to build and I can live without one in an AK body.

As for long-range, I have plenty of projects in that area, from AR-15's, to AR-10's, and Bolt Action rifles too, I just thought the look of a long-range AK would be awesome in the gun collection I'm building.

Yeah I'll abandon this project. There are so many cooler 9mm I have to build and I can live without one in an AK body.

As for long-range, I have plenty of projects in that area, from AR-15's, to AR-10's, and Bolt Action rifles too, I just thought the look of a long-range AK would be awesome in the gun collection I'm building.

Hey man that's a smart move.

I bought a Tavor in 9mm. I like things that are different myself and that's why I bought it. It's cool in a lot of ways but if I had it to do over again I would have just bought an AR in 9mm. The main reason is the awesome triggers available for them, which makes shooting fast and accurately easier and more fun, and is what an AR in 9mm is all about IMO.

For long range, and if you reload, getting an AR upper in 6mmFatRat from Accurate and Reliable rifle, is one of the best decisions you could make. Mine sends 95smk with a .5 BC at 2870 fps in a 22" barrel. My favorite thing about it is very soft recoil, and it's a decent long range performer. I was pounding a 19" steel plate at 1000Y in 10-13mph winds no problem. Opt for a Krieger or Bartlein barrel if you do.

There's a neck turned version of 6mmFatRat that is called the 6mmGrinch, it has won benchrest comps against 6mmPPC, which is an amazing feat, and is another reason I have stayed with the FatRat. Also the Lapua brass lasts a long time and is very high quality.

I have a RAK308 C from Riley's Defence in 308 with a side mount with a 1x10 lvpo on it . The range where I shoot goes out to 550 yards . I hit the 18" plate out that far no problem I use Federal 149 M80 ball to plink and both Federal and Hornady target ammo .

Just get a Zastava M77 and be done with it.

So far as 9mm PCC's, there's a million. Just pic one.