• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Looking for a knock your socks off PVS-14

I realize I'm probably being a pest at this point but could you explain why you went that route? I'm the first one in my circle to get NV so far which makes me the defacto guru and I have told people that imo these high dollar tubes are not worth the money. Am I missing something?

I get if the L3 is the Cadillac and you have the means why not. I have Swaro binos and a kowa fluorite spotter so I am a believer that that extra 5% is worth it in some things. I can see it in spotting equipment and thermals but not really in a pvs14.

My buddies duals that started this whole quest have FOMs that are off the chart, 2650+ on both tubes (L3 WP filmless). So looking out in a dark pasture with those will knock your socks off. Once I started looking at duals, what I was looking at was a set BNVD-SG WP Elbit with FOM of 1900+. That path would have cost me $8200 (while secretly wanting the L3 PVS-31A BNVD), and I just couldn't pull the trigger on that dollar ammount for now, not knowing how much i'll actually use it/them. I may have wasted some money, but I won't ever second guess my decision if I bought a good enough one. Just the way my mind works.

So if I wanted to "flex" in my firearm themed menageries with a bottle of distilled spirits would that be an appropriate vintage?
Pappy Van Winkle, lol.

Thanks. There's a similar thread on the ar15 forum and the specifics they noted were better performance in low light and greater identification range on the high end tube. I get what your saying with not second guessing purchases. I've never looked through my spotting scope and wished it was chinesium and I had more $ in my pocket.

Reactions: superde
Well, went L3 PVS-14 2396+ FOM WP from TNVC - a big thank you to Victor for fielding my call. Down the road i'll bridge 2 PVS-14's, or resell and buy duals. Thanks for the input and help gentlemen.
It was great talking with you and thank you for your business and trust with our gear. We look forward to seeing you at one of Night Fighter training events.

Well, I'm a cheaper than you.

I run the Breach cause its cheap, easy to power with the Mod Armory Battery Extender (rechargeable 16650's), it's a tough small unit, and does good enough on detecting.

The NOX is definitely a much better unit than the Breach

However, my logic has been this (from using even some of the higher end Trijicon Thermals). A 5x Magnifier on a PVS 14 and Luna Illuminator, always gives me a better PID than thermal can give me. If a 5x can't do it, slap a 10x magnifier on.

Now I do have a FLIR PTS 736 which is a long range beast at 6X native mag. It is a great long range shooter in the toolbox.

A lot of people want their scanner to be high end. I get it. Me, I am ok with mediocre scanner just for detection cause I can PID with 14, Magnifier and Luna.

I do like my TWS to be on the higher end performance wise and performance wise includes all aspects, not just the image.

NV for walking around. Thermal for finding critters. NV for PID critters. Thermal or NV (both on instant demand) for killen critters.

Yep, sinking a ton of money into "super toobs" gets me zero additional performance than I get with my current setups.

I aint looking for bragging rights at a static NV training event. :LOL:

Can you detail your hunting pouch setup for silently stashing/accessing the Breach or magnifier? Maybe a dedicated magnifier/14 threaded together when running the Breach as a HMT? I'm not a huge fan of the Breach dangling around my neck when I'm running dual 14s, and haven't found a good quiet pouch for accessing the magnifier (no velcro!). Trying to streamline everything, carry less stuff, but still have it available for ID when needed. Use case is hog hunting.

Can you detail your hunting pouch setup for silently stashing/accessing the Breach or magnifier? Maybe a dedicated magnifier/14 threaded together when running the Breach as a HMT? I'm not a huge fan of the Breach dangling around my neck when I'm running dual 14s, and haven't found a good quiet pouch for accessing the magnifier (no velcro!). Trying to streamline everything, carry less stuff, but still have it available for ID when needed. Use case is hog hunting.

This is what I use for pouches for all my devices. Take the padded inserts and fold them accordingly to the shape and size device you are using and insert in the size SAW pouch that works best for a particular device.

So if you want to kill any velcro sound, just take a non sticky piece of the opposite velcro and put it over the piece you are trying to nullify.

Reactions: superde