• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a new Boonie hat, Need some help

Rprecision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Progressive Hell, CO
I am looking for a lightweight breathable boonie hat for bumming around. I always wear a hat when out in the sun, hiking, shooting, working, Etc.

I have had several, most of the cotton variety, that are ok but they all have the same downfall. Hot, don't breath, hold moisture, make sweat roll in the eyes like a whore in church.

All I am looking for is something in a tan, khaki, coyote color scheme I am not super picky about a specific camo scheme.

What works for you, Google has led me astray..................

again rip-stop cotton, in my book_
keep an eye about the models with the bigger, Army-style, mesh-protected eyelets on twin air vent.holes on both sides_
(the eye zone will badly sweat anyway,if really hot & humid, even wearing a sweatband )_

I need to find a good one too, my bald ass head gets sunburnt pretty bad when I'm outside.

Bought a British Army desert pattern boonie in GB a few years back at a surplus store. Wish I had bought ten of them.
A softer cotton than the US GI boonies and vented better. Also has velcro to attach a 2nd piece of cloth to protect the back of the wearers neck.

Otherwise...the US GI Boonies are out there.

email this guy: eBay My World - slangvel he makes them himself, his work is top-notch. He makes one with a mesh band that might be just what you are looking for. I have a mesh boonie in pencott badlands and a plain one in coyote, love them both. He's on facebook too under the same name.

Last edited:
Google Dirty Billys Hat Shop in Gettysburg PA and get your self a nice piece of repro headgear from back in the 19 th century when manly men worked outside 24/7 and a hat was a necessity not an accessory.

I just got a new Blackhawk brand one from Optics Planet. I needed to spend $11.00 more to get free shipping and I saw the hat for $15.00. Money well spent. I asked my wife if she liked it and she said "Yep, with you wearing that I'll never have to worry about a woman coming after you."

With praise like that, you know you're looking good.

BlackHawk Advanced Boonie Hat 90AB00MC-725, 90AB00DD-750, 90AB00DD-775, 90AB00MC-700, 90AB00DD-800, 90AB00DD-725, 90AB00MC-775, 90AB00MC-750, 90AB00MC-800, 90AB00DD-700. BlackHawk Hats & Headwear.

Tiley hat x2. They have a lifetimeme replacement policy. I've been wearing them for over 10 years. I've sent one in when the seam finally broke after 5 yrs...sent it in and got a replacement in about 2 wks. They market these as the best hat in the world. They float, hold shape well, can be bundled in a ball to fit in a pack or whatever, and have hidden pockets in them. I keep a bit of money in mine for those just in case times. plus is they float and to wear one really increases your cool factor as they are just very good looking hats

they bill these as the best hats in the world.

Last edited:
Not to highjack the thread or anything, but has anyone found a boonie in blaze orange? I have been looking for one to wear hiking during hunting season, but all the blaze ones that I find are in odd proportions.

Not to highjack the thread or anything, but has anyone found a boonie in blaze orange? I have been looking for one to wear hiking during hunting season, but all the blaze ones that I find are in odd proportions.

Cabelas has them. They are gor-tex and do not breath, at all!

OP, look at Patriot Surplus. They have all kinds of boonie hats.

Last edited:
I have been wearing a tru spec boonie all summer with the 65/35 combo. In fact, 2 of my friends bought them as we'll and I'm pleased with my purchase. The hat has the pocket inside and double screen vents on each side.

I wear a milspec one. Had it for years. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377048709.347399.jpg

Tiley hat x2. They have a lifetimeme replacement policy. I've been wearing them for over 10 years. I've sent one in when the seam finally broke after 5 yrs...sent it in and got a replacement in about 2 wks. They market these as the best hat in the world. They float, hold shape well, can be bundled in a ball to fit in a pack or whatever, and have hidden pockets in them. I keep a bit of money in mine for those just in case times. plus is they float and to wear one really increases your cool factor as they are just very good looking hats

they bill these as the best hats in the world.

My Tilley died in the washing machine today. She was 7. She will be missed.

Until I get my new one in the mail. For free.

Best hat... in the world!

When I'm out in the bush....I rely upon woven strands of straw and indigenous foliage to keep me safe. And being a high speed operator, I am always wearing proper eyepro.
546909_590298124347275_1810851716_n_zpsefc41ea4.jpg

Look out when this big swinging dick comes your way...

I like that Jesus has got your back, or is that Judas?

I have a British Army issue DPM and MTP hat, they are 100% cotton and feel nice on my head.

that's the one I have. I like it.
I just got a new Blackhawk brand one from Optics Planet. I needed to spend $11.00 more to get free shipping and I saw the hat for $15.00. Money well spent. I asked my wife if she liked it and she said "Yep, with you wearing that I'll never have to worry about a woman coming after you."

With praise like that, you know you're looking good.

BlackHawk Advanced Boonie Hat 90AB00MC-725, 90AB00DD-750, 90AB00DD-775, 90AB00MC-700, 90AB00DD-800, 90AB00DD-725, 90AB00MC-775, 90AB00MC-750, 90AB00MC-800, 90AB00DD-700. BlackHawk Hats & Headwear.

The search for the ultimate Boonie is the real excuse, I mean 'reason' for stopping at very Army Surplus and Gun Show I've ever seen.

Years ago I had a Indochina French bush hat and it IMO was the best "boonie". I wish you could still find them at the Army/Navy store.

I took a shot at the Blackhawk version I have yet tot give it a try but it looks like a improvement. I wish the brim was a little bigger to keep the sun at bay but it will work.

The tilley looks nice, not sure I am ready to chunk out $60-80 for a hat, maybe one day