• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a Non-CA Beach for wife's B-Day

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
Wife told me she wants to go to the beach for her birthday. Naturally her first suggestion was Mission Beach. Don't get me wrong, it's a great beach. Problem is I'm worn out on that beach. Worn out on all CA politics. I don't want to spend a cent in that state.

Looking for suggestions for a similar experience on the beach without all the bullshit CA has tied to it.

I was thinking Clearwater, FL but haven't been there for years. It could be a snoozfest for all I know.

Open to any and all non-CA suggestions.

Update: little bro is getting married in Hawaii so we already have a Hawaii trip planned. Looking for something hidden like Sedona that can be our little thing.

Last edited:
La Playa Beach and Golf resort Naples Florida.

Down town Naples has "as equal to or close second best" restaurant selection. It competes with Portland, Maine, of all places, in my travels.

You will walk from your room to the beach if you stay in La Playa. Has a pool, bar stays open late. No one has been eaten by a shark lately as far as I know.

Food at the resort isn't bad but a bit over priced.

Cape Cod National Seashore.

Specifically the Nauset to Wellfleet stretch.

Good food in Wellfleet and Chatham.

You do play shark roulette.

I'll be there in August.

If You go and hit Black 7 I'm hoping you have enough meat on you to keep the Whites satiated until my trip is over.

The west side of Panama City beach Florida (over towards Laguna beach). Has a good beach vibe, good food, not too crowded and very affordable. Plus you get that famous powdery white sand. We have been going there the last several years, going outside the country (Caribbean beaches) got really expensive for some reason.

I know its CA, but Coronado is a totally different culture. I have been to Pacific Beach (nice hotel right at the northern end) and Mission Beach.
May go back to Mission Beach with kids due to the ease of everything.

Very patriotic and awesome.
A park with cannons mounted and the stories of their captures.

Excellent food as well. Some of the finest seafood dinners I have had.

Took momma there for a 3 day weekend to ask her an important question.....?

Haven't been in some time and the beaches and food in Pensacola were excellent.
National Seashore means long beach walk with very very few people on those perfect soft white sand beaches.
Tons of seafood and Greek food.

Hi,

Zoni Beach on Culebra PR.

Sincerely,
Theis

Know the island like the back of my hand, including the beaches that you can only reach by sea. Have a cousin who owns a hotel there.

Wife told me she wants to go to the beach for her birthday. Naturally her first suggestion was Mission Beach. Don't get me wrong, it's a great beach. Problem is I'm worn out on that beach. Worn out on all CA politics. I don't want to spend a cent in that state.

Looking for suggestions for a similar experience on the beach without all the bullshit CA has tied to it.

I was thinking Clearwater, FL but haven't been there for years. It could be a snoozfest for all I know.

Big Island of Hawaii. Way less tourists than Oahu due to being mostly farming and commercial fishing. A lot of sea life close up to the shores.

Reactions: Diver160651
I know its CA, but Coronado is a totally different culture. I have been to Pacific Beach (nice hotel right at the northern end) and Mission Beach.
May go back to Mission Beach with kids due to the ease of everything.

Very patriotic and awesome.
A park with cannons mounted and the stories of their captures.

Excellent food as well. Some of the finest seafood dinners I have had.

Took momma there for a 3 day weekend to ask her an important question.....?

Haven't been in some time and the beaches and food in Pensacola were excellent.
National Seashore means long beach walk with very very few people on those perfect soft white sand beaches.
Tons of seafood and Greek food.

Coronado is as bad if not worse than the rest of California. I live on Coronado and all over San Diego for years. Coronado is the type of place they handed out special stickers to park on the road outside tournown house. They ticket ANYONE who isn't from the island. I had my windshield replaced and didn't have a new sticker yet...$80 fine. Went to court to prove I was a resident, judge didn't care. He just told me to pay my fine now or get a late fee added on.

You think they like military you better think again, they only like themselves. They restrict all turns off 3rd st in the morning and 4th st in the afternoon so the "sailors" don't gondriving through town.

You might see it as "a better place than the rest" but these are the types of assholes that drive the CA bullshit.

Don't let them pull the wool over your eyes.

Big Island of Hawaii. Way less tourists than Oahu due to being mostly farming and commercial fishing. A lot of sea life close up to the shores.

Not in the works. Brother is getting married later in the year, he is stationed in HI, don't want to spoil it for ourselves....prob not really possible but ehhhh....why visit the same place 2x in less than 6 months.

Backcountry camping on the beach in Olympic National park.

Rent a house in Navarre beach on the end next to the National seashore towards Pensacola.

Wow.
Didnt know that about Coronado.
Not surprised though. Not much about people surprises me anymore.

No reason to doubt your vast experience compared to my 3 days there.
My time was very good. Perhaps the power of the trip and the company I was with...... ?

Enjoy the time with the Mrs. Always good the spoil the queen a bit

Not in the works. Brother is getting married later in the year, he is stationed in HI, don't want to spoil it for ourselves....prob not really possible but ehhhh....why visit the same place 2x in less than 6 months.
Cuz the two islands are night and day. No active volcanoes on Oahu nor can you walk on the domes of live ones.

a few idea's https://www.jetsetter.com/magazine/hidden-beach-resorts-around-the-world/
I do not blame you would not want to help support ca maybe in the future if they clean up , and for the cost hawaii is expensive compaired to an almost private island outside the us where your money will get you more bang for the dollar .
Italy https://lovinitaly.com/20-best-beach-towns-italy/ nothing says romantic like a birthday celebration next to a maybe active volcano
was it the volcano or you that made the earth move who cares and since the economy is so bad in that reagon your money will get you a lot more .

Last edited:
I feel ya. I think just having 4 days and 2 already being travel days I wouldn't want to do Hawaii for only 2 days.
Yeah I feel you on that one. I know someone mentioned San Diego / Coronado. Point Loma, San Diego is beautiful. That’s a whole different California down there.

fly to miami and drive all the way to key west, has to be the prettiest, most relaxing, stress-relieving drive/scenery in the world.

sanibel island on florida gulf is supposed to be the best shelling beach in the USA. ding darling national wildlife refuge on adjoining captiva island has amazing wildlife.

Reactions: Changed
Backcountry camping on the beach in Olympic National park.

Rent a house in Navarre beach on the end next to the National seashore towards Pensacola.

If you're looking for the beach and not shopping, night life, etc., this is the pick. Beaches as beautiful as Destin and elsewhere, but without the 2 MPH traffic.

During the summer I take a 20 miles longer route to avoid Destin enroute to Panama City.

Charleston SC. We like to stay on Edisto Island. Not a big tourist trap. The beaches are calm and there's a decent restaurant. A short trip to Charleston area and all the good drink and food you want. Plenty of things to occupy your time in that part of the country.

Close by you is Puerto Penasco, just an hour south of the border in Mexico. I havent been but Az friends swear by it. They say its clean, beautiful, quiet, inexpensive and safe.

Or try South Padre Island in Texas. Corpus Christi is a beautiful town with lots of hotels and restaurants, or you can book a place right on the beach. There is both state and National Parks.

Charleston SC. We like to stay on Edisto Island. Not a big tourist trap. The beaches are calm and there's a decent restaurant. A short trip to Charleston area and all the good drink and food you want. Plenty of things to occupy your time in that part of the country.

Yeah, but you got Geechees there.

Close by you is Puerto Penasco, just an hour south of the border in Mexico. I havent been but Az friends swear by it. They say its clean, beautiful, quiet, inexpensive and safe.

Or try South Padre Island in Texas. Corpus Christi is a beautiful town with lots of hotels and restaurants, or you can book a place right on the beach. There is both state and National Parks.
You have to get pretty far down to get to a decent beach, typically lots of seaweed. Can't do much about it, prevailing winds and all.
Padre Island National Seashore is a bit south of Corpus, decent area, keep your vehicle locked and valuables out of sight.
Don't leave shit in the bed of your truck.

Reactions: Maggot
My family likes Destin, Santa Rosa, Navarre, and Seaside when we can take a week.

Usually hit gulf shores or orange beach for a weekend trip. It’s a little closer to home.

And there's also "Grand Beach" up here near Gimli Manitoba (where Crown Royal is made) and it was listed as one of Playboys "Top ?? Best Beaches in the World". I can't remember if it was top 5, top 10, top 20, or top 2,500. I just remember that when it was listed, the place went nuts.

My family likes Destin, Santa Rosa, Navarre, and Seaside when we can take a week.

Usually hit gulf shores or orange beach for a weekend trip. It’s a little closer to home.

Ever have "throwed" rolls?

Go to PR

American Money OK
American Cell Plan OK
Passport- not needed....

Head to the island of Vieques- Spend 0-2 days in San Juan
Vieques was the US bomb range- it has
Zero Chain restaurants
Zero Chain Hotels
Very much 1950s living....
select satellite view on Google maps and scroll away

I stayed at Casa Tortuga - a few houses off of the ocean and the main drag of restaurants and bars.

The beaches are awesome
The fish is great for snorkeling off of the beach
Coconuts fall all over so when bored on the beach, I got to open some up
The Bio Luminescent Bay is breathtaking- but go over a new moon- the bay is best when it is dark. a full moon kills the experience

Camera's don't capture what your eye captures in the bay- so many photos on the web are enhanced... when you pick up a handful of water, it glows and glows as it runs down your arm....

If you have been in a rainforest, you can skip El Yuke

Reactions: QuickNDirty
Another vote for the Outer Banks in NC.

This is coming from a guy that lives in SoCal, grew up around many different beaches, lived in the Gulf Coast, spent time in Corpus Christi area, Puerto Rico (San Juan), Southern Spain (Torremolinas), Ibiza (Palma), Israel, France (Cannes, Nice, etc.) , Portugal, Key West FL, etc...

Go to the Outer Banks. Best beaches left in the US, and better than some areas around the world... (some areas in the Gulf Coast are pretty good too though)

Update: little bro is getting married in Hawaii so we already have a Hawaii trip planned. Looking for something hidden like Sedona that can be our little thing.
Second beach in Newport, RI is super nice and there is a lot of other cool things to do in Newport and the surrounding areas.

If you want to stay in CA, I would try

Main beach in Laguna Beach
Big Corona in Corona Del Mar

Both of these CA choices are pretty nice from a locals perspective but parking is somewhat problematic

Destin.
Specifically Destiny by the Sea.
Gated and private beach.
Very nice.

R

Bingo! Any beach on 30 a Florida to gulf shores Alabama!

Shaddup, every last one of ya bastards. Traffic sucks enough as it is, stop telling people about it!

You didn't say it had to be salt water.

Some of the best beach sand on the planet. And no whiny liberals.

Ok, just not as any. ?

4f84718edc2aa.image.gif

Reactions: acudaowner