• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for a suppressor host.

MWM-5150

Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
Springfield, MO
So I have a rugged obsidian in NFA jail now, and I’ve got the next 6-8 months to figure out a good host for it. Im looking for a little guidance on some firearms you have used that paired well with a suppressor. How did the suppressor affect the reliability, handling, and accuracy of the pistol? Were there any modifications you had to make to improve on these points (heaver springs, etc.)? What should I expect for POI shift, if any?

A few that I had in mind are:
Glock: 19,17,21, etc. Seems like the boring and obvious choice. Easy to find and inexpensive. Extensive aftermarket to make mods as needed. One con may be that since it’s a polymer pistol it may not “balance” as well with the can attached, don’t know.

Sig 226 or 229- Heavier, but my thought is this may help from a shootability standpoint.

Beretta M9A3 – I wouldn’t mind having one of these simply for the ‘cool’ factor of it. My understanding is that with a non-tilting barrel design mitigates some of the issues that can be associated with the extra weight on the end of the barrel. Might be inconsequential, dont know.

HK: USP9 or 45, HK45, P30L- I’ve never owned an HK, but from what I’ve been seeing the aftermarket for these seems limited and expensive, similar to the sigs.

If you have suppressed any of these pistols (or others), I’m eager to hear your experience.

Thanks,

Ive had the Obsidian45 for a year or more now and love it. I shoot it on my G19, SIG P229 9mm, SA 1911 .45 and my custom built AR9. Now I cant speak much to improved accuracy because all of these guns are shooting replacement barrels. The G19 is shooting a custom run Lothar Walther threaded match barrel and it shoots tiny little groups with its RMR RM06. The SIG is hands down my favorite 9mm suppressor host. The balance is perfect. My favorite suppressor host of all my pistols is the 1911 .45. It is stupid quite with 230gr handloads at 826fps.

I did have to put the straight spacer into the can for the AR9 which sports a 7.5" 9mm Wilson SS match barrel. This is what I shoot the most with my Obsidian. Well I should say my son does, hes pretty much stole it from me. I handload for all these guns and you will find that different ammo shoots and sounds different. 147gr and up is where you want to be for 9mm ultra quite. I currently shoot Extreme 165gr RN with N340 and most people cant believe its a 9mm. All you hear is the action and it hitting steel like a 45.

Here's a video I took of a random guy at the range I let shoot my G19/Obsidian45/165gr sub loads. He never shot a suppressed gun before and had a blast.

Reactions: Fig
Same situation as you, my Obsidian is about ready to be sprung from jail and come home with me. I have a P226 TacOps that I use with an Osprey and I really like it. I bought the Obsidian because I was curious, liked the looks/details of it and it has a 3 lug adapter option, whereas the Osprey does not. Besides, can you really have too many cans ? FWIW, SiCo pistons can be used in the Obsidian (but not vis versa). Rugged saved me about $450 because of that little detail.

I’m an Obsidian dude as well.
MPX is the ideal host IMO:cool::p
Also believe 45 is more fun than 9mm for a handgun. Having said that a CZ p-10 is pretty badass because the bore access is so low.
45 cal I’d say G21 and FNX

Might consider mentioning what your use for this will be. Hard to know what to suggest until we know what you are going to do with it.

I run a SiCo Octane 9 on HK USP Tactical and a G19. Have even put it on a G43. HK is hands down favorite host. Big but it never hiccups. Gonna get a G17 also just cause I’m a Glock guy

HK USP Tactical, Sig P226, FNH 45 Tactical are THE best suppressor hosts out there. I'm partial to the USP line myself (I own a USP Expert and CCW a FS USP).
The new FN 509 Tactical looks interesting but beware you need to use the reduced recoil spring with civilian rounds (apparently military 9mm ball is loaded way hot).
You could also look at the CZ 75 Tactical models as well.

My vote would be either the HK MK25 or the Sig MK26

CZ P07, CZ P09, FN 509 Tactical

Or Dan Wesson Discretion ;)

Attachments

• 92B44A28-F7B8-4E6C-BE6A-59104AAC7FB2.jpeg
    92B44A28-F7B8-4E6C-BE6A-59104AAC7FB2.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 133
First - This will not be a duty gun. Personal use only.

A lot of love for the HK's and the FN45, although Im leaning heavily towards the 226. It seems the consensus is that the larger pistols tend to be a favorite as a host. In general, could it then be said that the smaller (say G19 and under) guns do not function with the additional weight of the can as well, or is this more of a weight balance preference towards the larger pistols? Any of you guys with the G19 or P10c have any issues?

I watched a MAC video on the FN509 that didn't inspire a lot of confidence in using the pistol suppressed.

Aside from needing the threaded barrel, are you guys making any sort of tuning changes to help with reliability or is it mostly just spin the can on and go?

P10c does need to be broken in.
Only thing you may run into is the need to for lighter or maybe heavier recoil springs.

First - This will not be a duty gun. Personal use only.

A lot of love for the HK's and the FN45, although Im leaning heavily towards the 226. It seems the consensus is that the larger pistols tend to be a favorite as a host. In general, could it then be said that the smaller (say G19 and under) guns do not function with the additional weight of the can as well, or is this more of a weight balance preference towards the larger pistols? Any of you guys with the G19 or P10c have any issues?

I watched a MAC video on the FN509 that didn't inspire a lot of confidence in using the pistol suppressed.

Aside from needing the threaded barrel, are you guys making any sort of tuning changes to help with reliability or is it mostly just spin the can on and go?

I have a G17 and a threaded barrel, no issues. I plan to borrow my wife's G19 and install the threaded barrel from the G17. Granted, it's "too" long, but I am curious about how it will function. I have an Osprey and I think it probably balances better on a (larger) G17 or a P226. I'm not wild about the idea of using it on the G19, but like I said, I'm curious. I might be wrong and really like it, who knows ?

Had lots of rounds on my FN, no malfunctions.
Balances out nice with the tyrant can and soft recoil, very quiet.
No mods made or necessary. I like the decock, fire and cocked/locked option.

Only double stack I own so I can't compare against the rest others have mentioned.
My son had a ds 45 custom that the mfg eventialy ate due to malfunctions,
My only ds comparison didn't go well.

Some 1911 guys scoff at it, it's not for cc but I open cary it ocasionaly because I can. Lol
Tends to stay on target well for all 15 rounds, that tends to quiet the naysayers when all they here is the steel ringing.

Attachments

• 20180809_151139.jpg
    20180809_151139.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
I have an Obsidian 9 in jail now. I'm saving my pennies for a M&P9 M2.0 with threaded barrel to thread it onto.

I have threaded barrels on my S&W M&P 9C and Shield 9 and SRO 1911 and enjoy them with my Obsidian 45 can. That being said I want an M9A3 also.

Some that I host on your list. My favorite is the HK 45 Compact Tactical. A polymer frame host is not a handicap. For fixed barrel e.g. Beretta M9 (I'll dig up those photos) variant just remove the booster spring from the suppressor as it is not necessary, just like with rifles e.g. this Glock-based 8" Wilson AR9 .
They are all fun to shoot and run reliably. Although not necessary, tall suppressor sights, laser or RDS make target acquisition much easier.
HK USP & Compact Tacticals; VP9
Glock 17 & 19
Sig 226 Navy & Blackwater
M&P9 SpecOps
DSCN2458a copy.jpg

CIMG1679 copy.JPG

IMG_0774 copy.JPG
IMG_0743 copy.JPG
IMG_0748 copy.JPG
IMG_0789 copy.JPG
IMG_2585 copy 2.JPG
IMG_0783 copy.JPG
IMG_5043 copy.JPG

Last edited:
My HK vp9 tactical is awesome. The only downside is that the sights are not suppressor height and that is weird to me. I just bought some trijicon.

Some that I host on your list. My favorite is the HK 45 Compact Tactical. A polymer frame host is not a handicap. For fixed barrel e.g. Beretta M9 (I'll dig up those photos) variant just remove the booster spring from the suppressor as it is not necessary, just like with rifles e.g. this Glock-based 8" Wilson AR9 .
They are all fun to shoot and run reliably. Although not necessary, tall suppressor sights, laser or RDS make target acquisition much easier.
HK USP & Compact Tacticals; VP9
Glock 17 & 19
Sig 226 Navy & Blackwater
M&P9 SpecOps
View attachment 6977103
View attachment 6977104
View attachment 6977105View attachment 6977106View attachment 6977107View attachment 6977109View attachment 6977110View attachment 6977111View attachment 6977116
That Wilson!!!!!!! Oh I love it!!!

The Wilson is handy with the Law Tactical Gen3 folding stock as it fits in a small pack (Blue Force Jedburg shown) and
I can use the G19 / G17 or a 9 mm conversion barrel in my G23 for magazine commonality for the load out.

IMG_6120 copy.JPG
IMG_6118 copy 3.jpg
IMG_6117 copy.JPG
IMG_0802Glock 23 9 mm conversion barrel copy.JPG

For me a suppressed pistol was like a desert eagle. It was neat for a few rounds. After that, it was just unwieldy. A 9mm carbine on the other hand still causes me to giggle inside after years and thousands of rounds with it.

STI DVC TACTICAL. Unfortunately they discontinued them but you should be able to get one if you look hard enough. Xtreme weapons on Houston is getting some this month as they placed a special order. Nothing comes close IMO.