• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking for suggestions for 300 AAAC Blackout (Survey)

Macdaddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Clarke County, VA
I will be receiving shortly a DPMS 300 Blackout with 16" barrel and want to pursue getting a supressor for it.

I have been reading the threads to get a feel for what's good, what's bad and what's ugly.

Would like to ask for a poll of popular opinion to consolidate the various threads.

Can folks provide a list of top 1 - 5 cans that they would highly recommend and then provide 2-3 (or more) cans that should be avoided at all costs. Rationale would be good but not necessary as the general overall concensus is ultimately all that matters to me.

I can then key in on the top rated models to make a final personal determination while avoiding the NOIDs.

Thanks,

I heard TBAC is coming out with a 300 blackout can, just something to keep your eye on...

Have you considered running a shorter barrel that 16, maybe as a pistol configuration or SBR?

Want to keep the longer barrel as I will be shooting mostly supersonic for distance. The subsonic/suppressor configuration will just be for fun.

I assume that TBAC is a preferred can based on your note above? I am really ignorant on these things so I apologize if my questions seem "simple." In fact, they are.

Thanks,

I have had good experience with gemtech and a harder suppressor to find was Allen industries and it was the best suppressor I have yet to try. Find a suppressor that is easy to break down to clean and if you want to keep the barrel long look for a light and compact design, it does seem like a big deal but half the fun of playing with subsonic is quick accurate fire long and close.

Want to keep the longer barrel as I will be shooting mostly supersonic for distance. The subsonic/suppressor configuration will just be for fun.

I assume that TBAC is a preferred can based on your note above? I am really ignorant on these things so I apologize if my questions seem "simple." In fact, they are.

Thanks,

i was under the impression that there was no gain in performance shooting supersonics in a 300 BLK out of a barrel longer than 10". I could be wrong, and it might be 8" but i am not 100%. anyway, the point is that a 16" barrel offers nothing (other than avoiding a stamp) over what a ~10" barrel can do.

Depending upon your other uses/calibers, you could consider virtually any 30 can. The deal here is if you use a 300 magnum rated can, you are prepared for over 70 grains of powder burning. With the BLK, you are looking at 10. So, with the magnum 30 can, you get extra weight and volume (increased size). And potentially less than stellar performance if the baffles are designed for high pressure, as opposed to lower pressure.
OR
You could consider a 9mm pistol can. Here, the cans are designed for lower gas volume and pressure, similar to what subsonic 300BLK is. HOWEVER, consider that if you use 300BLK ammo that is of higher pressure than the can will take (read: supersonic), you certainly won't like the results. Or, looking at the bright side, you will always have a new 9mm can in the works :)

I have used an older Gemtech TPR-S can on that round in a 16" impingement AR since it was called 300/221. The can is 2lbs, but on a 16" upper it isn't that bad. I have also used AAC 762SD, SDN-6, Elite Iron Bravo 1 (which I like the best due to tone) on that round, and now in a 10" PWS long piston, too. All are good, but for the ejection port noise and gasses. I have since gone to the Handi Rifle. Wow is that a game changer for that round. Now, the action makes no noise when I shoot, and I get no gas to the eye. Even experienced shooters are impressed when I demo that for them. And deer die to 220 SMK subsonic just as dead as with a 308 (assuming proper shot placement).

The can to avoid is the one you currently have: none. That I know of, nobody makes a can that won't be epic on this peculiar cartridge due to the low gas volume and pressures (I speak of subsonic throughout, if you didn't get that already).

Find a dealer who will let you demo some cans on your gun. Expect that he won't let you use handloads and if he does thank him.

I just bought the AAC 762 SDN-6 after lots of searching. it actually does the best with the 300 black out.

i was under the impression that there was no gain in performance shooting supersonics in a 300 BLK out of a barrel longer than 10". I could be wrong, and it might be 8" but i am not 100%. anyway, the point is that a 16" barrel offers nothing (other than avoiding a stamp) over what a ~10" barrel can do.

300BLK does nice out of short barrels. Going from 10" to 16" only appears to get you from 2200 fps to around 2400 fps. Presumably this is bolt gun data. I don't get 2200 fps out of my 9.5" AR ... but then again I'm not really motivated to max out the load.

300blk.jpg

This data is for 110 gr bullets. An extra 200fps for 6" of barrel doesn't seem like that great a tradeoff. The 110gr Barnes black tips are supposed to expand well all the way down to 1300 fps.

I have a Cyclone-K on the my 10" 300 Blackout. Work great for both sub and super. it is a direct thread-on so you don't need the mount for it either.

I run a Gemtech Quicksand on my 300 Blackout with 16 in barrel and love it. It wills soon be a 10 inch barrel. A good friend runs a Thunderbeast Can and it has had no problems. Both are titanium.

At this time, I am leaning toward a Thunderbeast 30P-1 (or perhaps their 30BA). I also hear really good things about the SilencerCo Shaker which will be coming out in a 7.62 version this summer. I have had heard really strong recommendations from dealers for the Shaker. (Kinda got the impression that "if you're willing to wait, you might be happy you did" backhanded recommendation.)

With the thread above and doing a lot of research, it appears there are a plethora of quality products to choose from but I am trying to stay within the products that my local SOTs deal with.

Any thoughts on the two (actually three) products I mentioned above?

Of course, I'm not locked in yet so I would still consider other options if there is a really strong rationale to modify my short list.

Thanks,

I just installed a .300 Blackout carbine-length barrel on one of my ARs. I'm going to be shooting my reloads, and will get a can later. My plan is to get a Huntertown Guardian 9, which Huntertown claims works well with .300 Blackout, sub-sonics. Got a threaded barrel on the way from Lone Wolf. I'm going to be selling some of my "extra" ammo and will use the new .300 Blackout barrel for load development.

I don't have mine yet but I purchased a Surefire 762 Socom after a lot of research. I hope it's all it's cracked up to be. I plan on using with all my auto loaders - Sr15, LPR and 9" 300 BLK.