• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for suggestions for SSG08 bi-pod.

cljl07

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
As the title states, I purchased my SSG08 factory new from a shop in Arizona (via Gun Broker - I live in Virginia) and it arrived without the bi-pod, which is supposed to be included. I know that it is shipped from the factory with a Versa-Pod, but I don't know which model. My rifle is the 20" barrel .308 variety just FYI. I have contacted the shop and they agree that they are at fault for the missing bi-pod, and they are unable to locate the bi-pod in their shop, so they are refunding me $250 to make it right. So I have around that much I would like to spend, but I can go a bit more if needed. I know that the 27" .338 Lapua Magnum variety ships with a Viking Tactics Fortmeier HD bi-pod, but Steyr wants $475 for that which is a bit more than I'll be needing for my purposes. I'm new to the world of bi-pods, but i figure a 6"-9" or 7"-9" should work fine for me.

Please keep in mind that the SSG08 has a Versa-Pod spigot and no picatinny on the bottom for a Harris/Atlas. Looking for something that is easily compatible with the rifle if possible. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

I’ve had 2 SSG08’s. I ditched and sold the versapods (which I despise) and removed the spigot. Then I added an bt/atlas AFAR rail mounted in the anschutz slot. Then I had a pic rail, and could use a harris with an adapter, or an atlas, or any rail mounted bipod.

Very interesting! Any pics of your handywork, or advice to someone who might want to do the same? Also, which bi-pod did you decide to go with in the end?

I have an SSG08 and actually like the spigot mounted bipods. I have both the versapod that came from Steyr and the Fortmeier type that also came from Steyr.

If those aren't to your liking Steyr has a Harris stud that fits in the UIT channel. Call Steyr, ask to speak with Herbert, and get the Harris bipod adapter for the UIT rail. Or like above, there are picatinny rails that fit the channel. Versapod has a large variety of stuff that fit in the channel.

Awesome suggestions from both of you, thank you very much! I'm going to look into all my options and I'll post back in a few days with what I think I'm leaning towards and if I have any other questions!

I’m an Atlas guy, the new cant and lock (CAL) is my favorite, but Harris still works well for less money.
Here is the afar link (Simple to install, use a little blue loctite so id doesn’t loosen up):
http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/accessories-official-manufacturer/79-bt28-afar-kit.html
The spigot is held in by a roll pin. Take the stocksides off, and drive the roll pin out from either side.

Hey man, I just wanted to come back with an update and let you know that I took your suggestions and bought the AFAR kit along with an Atlas bi-pod, and I couldn't be happier! I went with their PSR series, as it seemed to fit my needs just fine. I left the spigot in the rifle just in case I wanted to use it in the future and I don't mind it sitting there. Thanks again for the suggestions!