• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking to spend 1100-1200 on an AR

Travv801

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2013
Saratoga Springs, Utah
As the title says, I'm looking to spend 1100-1200 on an AR15.

I'd like to use it for varmint hunting, plinking and slinging rounds a few hundred yards down range. So basically a heavy barrel.

As of right now, I'm looking at a RRA ATH a local shop would sell at around 1200, but I feel like I can do better.

There is a DPMS locally that I was thinking of upgrading ( can see it http://utahgunexchange.com/ads/dpms-panther-sweet-16-ar15-bull-barrell/] here . But if I go that route, would it be better to just do a custom build?

Looking for some opinions of people with more knowledge of the AR than myself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

For me, the two most important considerations are accuracy and reliability. Since most mil spec ARs are reliable with proper maintenance, that narrows it down to accuracy. As I understand it, all RRAs come with a sub MOA accuracy guarantee, so hard to go wrong with that. The alternative would be to get the cheapest one you can find that's not plastic, then add $4-500 to the cost for a Rainier barrel and a Geissele trigger. You can probably still be right about $1200 if you go that route.

Sounds like your first AR15 style rifle by the title and post. If so, no problem, buy a blemished kit from Palmetto, hunt down a blemished lower for less than $80, add some Magpul irons, get a good functional sling, and you should be good to go for under $700.

Take the differnce in money and buy a single stage reloader or the Lee Classic Turret kit (comes with a book, scale, etc...).

Shoot that rifle often in all weather types, temp ranges, etc.. Don't sit at the bench unless you are physically disabled. Shoot it prone, off hand, kneeling, sitting...shoot it utilizing a sling, un-assisted, etc... When you put a few thousand rounds down the barrel, then you won't have to ask what others recommend. You will know, first hand, what you like, need, or want and choose within the budget allocated.

RRA ATH comes with a 3/4 MOA guarantee I believe. People on the forum seem to test and verify that claim regularly also.

I just puchased a spikes stripped lower. dropped in the parts, the magpul stock that i wanted and and complete Colt 6920 upper. Shoots great,going to add a aim point PRO this weekend and call it good. right at the price range you mentioned and like burger king it was just the way i wanted it.

$1200 can get you a great AR or it can get you a pile of crap. $1200 is starting to get you to the premium AR's and one of the premium brands in your price range is daniel defense. I'd check out budsgunshop.com and there DD selection and pricing.

If it was me and granted I'm partial but I would go with the best. For just a couple hundred more you could have a JP
JP - Ready Rifle Program

Most people don't know you can get them for a very reasonable price. For what you are wanting to accomplish I would get the ORRC 18" over the ORRC 16"

Core 15 arms makes quality rifles and look on gun broker for their TAC III, i have seen those go for $900. They are regular milspec ARs with magpul furniture and decent aesthetics. Or build your own, especially if you use blemished parts. It will function fine and most blemished parts it is hard to find the blemish.

I have an RRA Advanced tactical hunter and it is a shooter. I shoot hornady (factory) 75bthp through it and will always shoot a 3-4 shot group that a quarter will cover, that is minute of coyote angle all day long. It is a little heavy though. I have added a daniel defense quad rail and magpul moe+ pistol grip. I just recently had an upper and lower built for me by Bison Armory, it is chambered in 6.8spc2. Very nice rifle, good quality and accurate. Shooting factory hornady in it as well, 120 grain sst. Shot a 4 shot group with it breaking the barrel in that measured around 1 1/2 inch@100 yards, i was using a aimpoint pro with 2 moa dot. Minute of deer angle. I also have a daniel defense in 5.56 and it is a great set up as well. Got an aimpoint pro on it as well. All three great rifles and do what I want them to do for their intended purpose. You should be able to find a good quality Ar in your price range, I have found three of them in that range. Good luck.