• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Low Light Scope reccomendations...

Re: Low Light Scope reccomendations...

100 yards is pretty close up, it's pretty easy to get lost in the narrow sight picture in the dark with 10X. Even 4X may be a bit much. There's the IOR 2.5-10X42 FFP, might be worth taking a look at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live under a rock! I didn't know Leupold made this!

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3x20-FX-II-Riflescope-P50855.aspx

A fixed 3x! </div></div>

How big does your pupil get in the dark/low light? That has a 6.67mm exit pupil. I have weird eyes so my pupils get huge. Average is about 7mm, that means your pupil could likely be larger than the exit pupil from the scope. Not very good for fast shots. I prefer to have some wiggle room in case I can't get dead behind the scope quickly. This is why larger objective scopes are recommended for night/low light use. Not because they gather more light (I know you've heard it, but it's incorrect), it's because they give a larger exit pupil making it possible to use more magnification.

To get a scope's exit pupil you take the objective lens diameter and divide it by the magnification. 20mm objective divided by 3X power and you get a 6.67mm exit pupil. A 32mm objective at 3X would be a 10.67mm exit pupil and much easier/faster to get behind.

Ok. Great info. So I'm gonna do some math
On the 4x33 and the 6x 42

The 4x33 has great exit pupil
Numbers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 4x33 has great exit pupil
Numbers! </div></div>

So you do actually belive that exit pupil is the same as lightgathering and lighttransmission , ok......
A 5,6mm exitpupil can deliver a lighter and better picture than a 7mm exitpupil..... all dependant on magnification, distance and objective lens.

Håkan

SpuhrSo you do actually belive that exit pupil is the same as lightgathering and lighttransmission said:
True, but light gathering and transmission has to do with glass quality, the coatings used, the amount of lenses in the scope and magnification.

So, light gathering is completely separate from exit pupil, but for low light when your pupil is dilated it's also good to pay attention to exit pupil so the scope is easier to get behind.

I learned this with a 6.5-20X50 scope I had, even on sunny days I couldn't run 20X since the exit pupil was too small for my eyes... okay, I could use it, but the image was small and fuzzy around the edges and hard to get centered behind. This is why I won't go lower than a 3.5mm exit pupil at max magnification.

The glass quality, etc. will come into play at anytime of day so definitely take it into consideration.