• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LRI

woodsy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2011
IL
Anyone know what's going on with LRI? I sent a Remy action in for a time and TIG over a month ago and haven't heard a thing. Called them a couple of weeks ago to confirm that it was there and was told that Chad screwed up his back but should be back soon. Been crickets since. WTF? This is the first work that I've sent them (usually do my own) and impressions are not so good.

I’d call them again. A lot of LRI fans on the Hide. A lot of satisfied customers.

Don’t know about the current situation but I thought he had some sort of tracking to show where in the process the job is.
I screwed my back up and was in the hospital for 1 week and now on restrictions for 6-8 weeks. It’s no fun for sure, can’t do anything but go from the chair to the bed.

I got stuff there also. Sent me a quote 3-4 weeks ago, told them to proceed.
I get it, I got a small business, January messes me up! Inventory, close last year out, crap to the CPA, roll in pricing on 3000 line items. People out, some times it takes a little while to get back up to speed.

They 100% have a tracking system... Just received notification that they got my stock from Manners today.

Not trying to stir shit at all; just wondering what's going on. I figured at least one would jump in to defend them but didn't figure it'd be right out of the gate . . . and with gusto too. Well done!

I have a lot of respect for LRI but also call things as I see em. I also don't constantly call and bug ppl because I hate it when someone does that to me. There are a lot of fans here but I'm not seeing the quick turn-around that some brag about. If they're behind due to injuries or whatever then that's okay . . . for a while. I've had my own health problems so I get that. Still, a little communication about an estimated delivery time would be cool.

They got two barrels to chamber from me a couple of weeks ago. Coordination call this past Monday, estimated completion in ~two more weeks. Nobody else I know of is as quick as LRI. Call and ask for Eric or Kalli to get more info on what’s up.

Quick turn around is relative. I've seen other gunsmith lead times to replace a barrel at 6 months to a year. So 4 weeks or just a bit more is pretty fast. I waited 16 weeks for a prefit barrel from Criterion.

Cut them some slack, if Chad is injured let him heal up. He'll be back to work when he's ready.

Amazon and their instant gratification ruined it for everyone. Nobody has any patience anymore.

If they said Chad got injured, probably safe to say, Chad got injured. That could impact flow in any small organization. Not to mention the man himself. Back injuries suck. Best wishes for full & speedy recovery to him.

Last edited:
I've used LRI 3 times and have received nothing but phenomenal service from them. Had them open up the feed ramp on 2 700 receivers and flute a bolt. Every time turnaround was under 2 weeks.

Reactions: Megahoser
Not trying to stir shit at all; just wondering what's going on. I figured at least one would jump in to defend them but didn't figure it'd be right out of the gate . . . and with gusto too. Well done!

I have a lot of respect for LRI but also call things as I see em. I also don't constantly call and bug ppl because I hate it when someone does that to me. There are a lot of fans here but I'm not seeing the quick turn-around that some brag about. If they're behind due to injuries or whatever then that's okay . . . for a while. I've had my own health problems so I get that. Still, a little communication about an estimated delivery time would be cool.
What the fuck do you want?

They told you he was hurt. You called a few weeks ago. If you have questions or concerns call LRI.

Making a thread here where it took more effort to post this than pick up the phone is starting shit IMO. Your just taking free shots at one of the top smiths on the board when you cant even handle your own shit. I dont think i have ever see anyone complain about LRI other than they are expensive. You are the problem.

If i was chad i would box your shit up, send it back and tell you to go fuck yourself.
Customers like you arent worth the time or energy.

We call it like we see it and I guaren fucking tee you 99% of the people reading this are thinking the same thing.

They told you he was hurt. You called a few weeks ago. If you have questions or concerns call LRI.

Making a thread here where it took more effort to post this than pick up the phone is starting shit IMO. Your just taking free shots at one of the top smiths on the board when you cant even handle your own shit. I dont think i have ever see anyone complain about LRI other than they are expensive. You are the problem.

If i was chad i would box your shit up, send it back and tell you to go fuck yourself.

We call it like we see it and I guaren fucking tee you 99% of the people reading this are thinking the same thing.

99% really? I dont think so dude. You have been a member for 1 year and talking like this? The dude is probably on his first rifle, not sure whether to nag the builder or wait - looking for input. What you got your knickers in such a knot? Perhaps take a chill pill and give some helpful advice - pretty much this post sums up why social media sucks so much. Rule of thumb - dont say shit you wouldnt say to someones face ...

now some helpful advice - know many people who used Chad - nothing but good stuff. Always responded to me always - surprised he hasnt responded here as he used to be very active. But step 1 - always assume its a simple thing, but yeah pick up the phone, some folks spend their time spinning chips not on email. Likely something went astray - but Chad is one of the good guys for sure.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Yea I am sure someone who cant make it into their own business is sitting around the house playing on snipershide. Or he is working.

But all that would be resolved had the OP actually called them instead of taking pot shots.

He has insults littered in both posts. It reeks of a shill or someone trying to start shit instead of being genuine. I am sorry you are having trouble understanding this.

Last edited:
When it hits the machines it goes fast. I think the wait is usually for the machines.

I sent a barrel in to be cut to a new length, have the muzzle threaded, and cerakoted. Received notice it was checked in on 1/7 and then had back in my hand on 1/28.

They do awesome work. I’d call again if you’re still concerned.

E0CC0AD8-09EA-481A-9D67-F31792F3C577.jpeg

Don’t know about the current situation but I thought he had some sort of tracking to show where in the process the job is.
I screwed my back up and was in the hospital for 1 week and now on restrictions for 6-8 weeks. It’s no fun for sure, can’t do anything but go from the chair to the bed.

I started the same, minus the hospital stay. Kind of got scolded for lying on the floor until i could get an appointment, to avoid the E.R. Wife would come home from work and help me stand up so I could go to the bathroom and get a drink, then help me lay back down. Spent almost two years on TTD and added 80lbs to my belly. Its was some pretty fucking tuff times. Watch your diet, and try to find any exercise they will let you do.

99% really? I dont think so dude. You have been a member for 1 year and talking like this? The dude is probably on his first rifle, not sure whether to nag the builder or wait - looking for input. What you got your knickers in such a knot? Perhaps take a chill pill and give some helpful advice - pretty much this post sums up why social media sucks so much. Rule of thumb - dont say shit you wouldnt say to someones face ...
Turretgunner has been here a long time. He just gets banned and has to change his name every few years.

Lol I’ve read enough posts from ole crabby to know to immediately scroll past them by now.

Reactions: Baron23
I sent LRI a barrel blank, action, and reamer at the beginning of January, just got a real time update yesterday that the barreling op had begun. 4 weeks from receiving it to starting work, honestly that's about 2 weeks longer than their "normal" speed I'm used to, but I have no reason to call them to ask questions since that will only waste their time.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Anyone know what's going on with LRI? I sent a Remy action in for a time and TIG over a month ago and haven't heard a thing. Called them a couple of weeks ago to confirm that it was there and was told that Chad screwed up his back but should be back soon. Been crickets since. WTF? This is the first work that I've sent them (usually do my own) and impressions are not so good.

I'll tell you straight up:

Our work load has increased around 300%. My shop is 3400 square feet. My staff is 6 with a new hire due to be here in April.
Yes, slipped a disk in the ol back and it sucked. I'm still dealing with it.
I'm the only one here who TIG welds worth a shit.

January for a business:

Taxes, taxes, and more taxes. W2's for staff. Inventory. Blah, blah. Its not your problem, I get it. That said we all work off the same clock. There are only so many minutes per hour. LRI is not a fortune 500 company where I just throw millions at a problem.

Very sorry we're late.

C.

It seems there is something about jumping all over an OP's shit lately. Not just here, but on other forums I'm a member on too. Even when the OP has a reasonable question/concern.

If your last call to them was several weeks ago, give them another call. I usually go 2 weeks between follow ups if it the company is well known and the delays are reasonable. Then I'll got to a call a week if it's going no where.

My experience so far has been that Chad goes in spurts with logging in here and sending PMs. Good enough that I haven't been concerned, and I'm boxing up 2 barreled actions to send to him this week. I think the said they are running at least 2 weeks longer than normal at this point. But we just had 16 inches of snow and probably more coming next week, so I don't think I'll be in too much of a hurry.

When you say you sent them an action a month ago... is that when you mailed it? we all know that carriers have been well behind delivery schedules.

What you got your knickers in such a knot?
Maybe he's out of crabs and/or football? I guess football ends soon so it's probably that. I have a couple of friends that get VERY testy when there's no NFL.

It seems there is something about jumping all over an OP's shit lately. Not just here, but on other forums I'm a member on too. Even when the OP has a reasonable question/concern.

If your last call to them was several weeks ago, give them another call. I usually go 2 weeks between follow ups if it the company is well known and the delays are reasonable. Then I'll got to a call a week if it's going no where.

My experience so far has been that Chad goes in spurts with logging in here and sending PMs. Good enough that I haven't been concerned, and I'm boxing up 2 barreled actions to send to him this week. I think the said they are running at least 2 weeks longer than normal at this point. But we just had 16 inches of snow and probably more coming next week, so I don't think I'll be in too much of a hurry.

When you say you sent them an action a month ago... is that when you mailed it? we all know that carriers have been well behind delivery schedules.

Excellent point regarding shipping stuff in today's world .

Now, phones:

I have 5 lines coming into this place. It is not uncommon for all 5 of them to be ringing or tied up. I know exactly when the East Coast goes to lunch. Our phone goes apeshit every day around 9:30/10 MTN time. The same thing happens with the west coast guys later in the day. Then you process the daily in between stuff and the calls that we have to make as well.

It's not trivial.

We spend an average of 16 hours per month per employee on the phone. That's 4 full days per month. That game is always a gut-punch of sorts. LRI is not in business to be on the phone. We are a machine shop. That said, phones are a big deal so I grin and bear it. The line between it being a revenue stream and a big overhead expense is something I'll probably never get figured out to my satisfaction.

So, if folks are not getting through, call us back. If you can't, send an email. Just know that emails can lag as well. This is exactly why I configured the online store the way I did. It's an attempt to mitigate the need to be on the phone because that makes things go slower.

Dave Tooley says it best: "Never do anything to make the phone ring". (Lol)

Thank you all for the support and kind words.

color me in the 1% then.
Dont take the internet so seriously.

Reactions: Bender
I might be in the small percentage here. But I send my parts in and just forget about it, until the call comes in saying it's done. I figured the more I call them, the less likely they are working on my rifle. But I would venture to say that I have more patience than most.

+1

Reactions: CrabsandFootball

Oh fuck off! Chad certainly doesn't need you to defend him but here you are trying to be the hero. If asking if anyone knows what is going on at LRI is "starting shit" then you need to get on some meds. I figured the question might get some panties in a wad but this takes the cake.

I've written it before and I'll write it again - I have a lot of respect for Chad and what he's contributed to the industry. He was a big help to me personally when I got tooled up to do my own work. I posted the question simply because I wasn't seeing the 2-week turnaround that most report and wondered if anyone knew what was up (beyond what I was told). Why haven't I called again? For the very same reason that Chad posted! I know what it's like to be tied up all day on the phone and getting nothing accomplished. It sucks and is the same reason I haven't buried him with emails.

I'm not in any huge hurry to get it back but it has been longer than expected and the barrel is waiting. Having read many reports of the lighting fast turnaround, I simply wondered if something was up. If that offends someone then I guess they'll just have to get over it.

If after reading all this Chad prefers to "box my shit up and tell me to go fuck myself" then that's perfectly fine. However, I believe he has a lot more class and is smarter than that.

His story changes everytime he posts and still hasn't explained why he was taking pot shots at LRI in his first 2 posts.

If that's how you define "pot shots" then you're way too sensitive. Questioning why I wasn't seeing the service crowed about by many on this board is legitimate. If not constantly calling and bugging the man like a spoiled child makes me an asshole then so be it. If asking a simple question on here like if anyone knows what's going on at LRI makes me an asshole then so be that too. The intelligent readers of this thread will get it.

I have had a few bolts fluted by LRI got them back within two weeks and work was second to none, but I don't see whats so hard about updating a website and or voicemail greeting and just give an explanation to the customer saying "hey guys we are extremely busy/backed up at the moment we are doing everything we can to get your XXXXX to you please be patient" Maybe it would avoid shit like this........Just Saying!

Yes, slipped a disk in the ol back and it sucked. I'm still dealing with it.
Bit off topic, Chad....but disks don't actually slip. They bulge and they herniate. 80% of these injuries tend to resolve in 8-12 weeks by themselves as the bulging/herniated disk material shrinks back a bit and gives relief.

But that still leaves 20%...ask me how I know! (sigh...insert rueful chuckle here).

It ALWAYS pays to have an MRI because that's the only way anybody will know what is actually happening in there and hence what the treatment should be.

Just my opinion, but avoid chiropractors like the plague if you have actual disk damage. Nothing worse than to have your back "manipulated" when you have disk material grinding into a nerve root. Ask me how I know...LOL

Best of luck and I hope you are back to normal soon.

Is LRI open on saturdays?

I got a box of shit to drop off. And it’s basically shit.

I’m so far in the bush these days even sturgis seems like a metropolis. Fvckin McDonald’s, and stop lights.

His story changes everytime he posts and still hasn't explained why he was taking pot shots at LRI in his first 2 posts.
You wanna calm down there slick?

Seems like Woodsy and Chad got stuff sorted, so I’m unsure why you feel the need to keep poking people. It’s been a disturbing trend with you lately; enough to draw attention. Not something you want these days...

LongRifles Inc, Chad I hope your back heals up. I blew out a disc and had to get a microdiscectomy from the neurosurgeon. Brutal pain before surgery, 100% better once awake. Pretty easy recovery. Being back conscious for a few months and slowly easing back into the stream.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Keep up the videos really enjoy watching your processes.

Well this thread reminded me that I had barreled actions to send... they got dropped off at UPS yesterday.

When can I start asking if they're done yet? :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
I dropped off two actions and barrels last week while I was in SD. Erik and Kalli were very helpful even though the shop was busy. There wasn't anyone sitting around drinking coffee and eating donuts. The guys were hustling and the machines were running. Erik told me they were swamped and gave me a time frame that was longer than they usually give but I was ok with it since I'm not in a hurry, it's still faster than most smiths and the work will be top shelf.

Since others brought it up, there is NO such thing as a "Slipped Disk"!

I had constant "twinge" episodes, followed by some major "lighting bolt" episodes, which ultimately came down to I can't move without wishing that I was dead.

Diagnosis, 2 herniated disks at L4-L5-S1.

I went through all of the "hoops", steroid shots, physical therapy, and a Chiropractor. Temporary relief at best.

Finally had a Discectomy, and holy $#!@ what a difference!

The first year was a challenge, because I kept doing things that I should not have, but many years later, I can't imagine going back to life before the surgery! Don't buy into all of the hype against surgery, if you have a good back surgeon, it will be the best thing that you ever did!

Reactions: Baron23 and Bender