• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LRMD or LRMOA

SMILEY 369

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
Louisiana
I'am new to long range shooting.I have a budget of $800-$1000 to invest in a scope ,thinking about Sightron 6-24x50LRMD or 6-24x50LRMOA does anyone perfer one over the other.I'ed be target shooting 100yd to 600yd and maybe out to 1000yd.This scope is a steping stone THANKS For any Info SMILEY
NOTE: both scopes are moa not mils
http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=4 http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=168

Re: LRMD or LRMOA

both do the same thing.

there is always a big debate of whats better mils or moa. the bottom line is it doesn't matter. they are both units of measurement. moa is 1.047 inches at 100 yds (shooters moa is 1 inch at 100 yds) a mill is 3.6 inches at 100 yds. each will be used to determine range of a known size traget and it will be used for corrections. for me its easier mathmatically to use moa. i can use mills but i have to think about it a little longer. on a ffp scope no matter what the power setting at 1000 yds if you have 1 shooters moa hash marks the distance between will be 10 inches. if you have a mil scope the distance between the center of 1 mil to the center of the next will be 36 inches. usually mils are adjusted in 1/10th of a mill (.36 inches). moa is adjusted in 1/4 moa (.25 inches) or 1/8th moa for a target scope (.125 inches). the military uses mils so most shooters who learned how to shoot in the military are usto mils.

the scope you linked is not a ffp so you have to be aware of your power setting before using those measurements.

have you looked at the vortex pst? imo its a better scope for the money

Agreed, its ideal to match the reticle to the turrets, Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA. Its really preference to which you choose. I am more accustomed to MOA, so I tend to prefer that. The PST in FFP is also quite a deal for the same specs as your looking for.

Trevor B.

I like using mils as I am a base 10 type of guy, but learned with MOA. It really depends on the person, I have found that it is easier to think in terms of MOA if you base it off how approximately 1 moa equals 1 inch at 100 yds. MOA dominates the shooting world here in the US. Most NRA targets are MOA based too. Go with what you know or think makes the most sense to you.

Also I think the ole fashion mil-dot reticle sucks, get something that has hashes.

All the cool kids are using mils
smile.gif

I just picked one and stuck with it.
I do think MOA is easier to understand if you are a new shooter.

Guys both socpes are moa but LRMD has circles .LRMOA has hash marks.I think I describe that right

Yeah looking at your links you are right. You listed the older model LRMD, the new one is LRMD/CM the new one has external turrets that are in 1/10 mil. Anyhow I would not recommend going to a mismatched reticle turret setup like the LRMD one rather go with the 6-24x50LRMOA or 6-24x50LRMD/CM.

This is a pict of the newer LRMD/CM:
SIIISS624X50LRMD_CM.JPG

here is a pict of the older one:

SIIISS624X50LRMD.jpg

Sightron sucks at marketing big time...

The mil/mil scope can be confusing as the turret markings are marked in clicks instead of mils.

one negative about the mil version is that the mils are only accurate on 24x, so I feel like you lose a little ranging ability as compared to the MOA version, in which the hashes represent 2moa at 24x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgw43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one negative about the mil version is that the mils are only accurate on 24x, so I feel like you lose a little ranging ability as compared to the MOA version, in which the hashes represent 2moa at 24x. </div></div>

if they measure 2 moa @ 24x it should measure 4 moa@ 12x and 8 moa @ 6x