Lubricate inside of case neck?

NativeCraft

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2006
Wilson, NC
Is it SOP to lubricate the inside of each case neck when pressing boat-tail bullets?

Speaking of - what's your preferred method of lubricating cases in general - spray, pad, finger lube it, etc.?

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
Re: Lubricate inside of case neck?

1 tbsp Olive oil, 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol in a windex bottle. Shake well, spritz liberally done.

If you find the case going into the die easily but difficult coming out you need to lube the neck ball. I found this to be the case more for FL resize cases that I did not previously prep in any way.

If you lube the inside of the neck I find that a funnel which fits inside the neck is necessary to keep the powder from sticking in the neck even after a swipe with a qtip.

BOLTRIPPER

Not Carlos Danger
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2001
Dallas Texas USA

i have a dedicated floor model drill press....with a nylon brush jocked up in it....i feed it steel wool and i actually polish the inside of my necks,,,,,then blow out any residual carbon and steel wool and media with compressed air.....this helps keep the SD's in single digits also.

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana

I use the shot/moly kit made by NECO. Stainless Steel and Molybdenum Disulfide.

Instantly lowered my ES. NECO, 707-747-0897

Casey Simpson

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2008
Louisiana

When I'm really obsessing about it, I do what Boltripper does. Then I lube the inside with a bore brush to apply Boron Nitride. I hate wet lube on the inside; damned powder sticks and annoys the shit out of me.
Some fine hand loaders remove the sizer button.

I polish mine with 400 grit sand paper with the stem chucked in a drill / screwdriver, then with micro fiber cloth and flitz. Talk about smooth. Repeat as the sizer needs it.

TCA4570

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2008
Ohio, Huron (camp in Coshocton)

Carbon fouling in the neck is a constant.
Time is better spent throwing in a polisher before sizing.
Inspect cases while lubing.
Fl re-size.
Ultrasonic can remove the "dirt" but not quickly.
(send pm if you want to know more about ultrasonic)
Neck size.