• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman DPS III - Owners - Would you buy again?

Re: Lyman DPS III - Owners - Would you buy again?

I'd give the RCBS a whirl, i'm on my 2nd DPS 1200 3..the 1st one started losing calibration after about 2 months of use, Lyman paid the shipping and replaced it @ no cost to me so thats cool...my only gripe with the DPS 1200 is that the drop tube is perhaps a 1/4" too long and some granules escape the pan.

I own one, and I regret it. Powder change is just too messy, and the dispensor tends to overcharge by .1 - .2 grains consistantly.

Go with the RCBS Chargemaster.

I got mine for free, my buddy decided to go with the rcbs, and gave me his lyman, i don't know how i ever lived without it, and his rcbs spends more time in transit between him and rcbs than it does on his bench, mine is the older model and it was kind of a pain to change powder before, i ordered the upgrade and now it's no big deal, so i guess if i had to buy another one, yes i would, or i could just wait and i'll probably end up with a chargemaster for free also..

Got one (DPS3), love it, but I have never used a Chargemaster. It MIGHT be better than the Lyman, but I just don't know. I have only had mine a few months, but it has held up great.
pistolpete75 is right - if it's going to be off, it will be high .1-.2. I like to verify with a beam also, and it works great for me.....so nobody tell me the Chargemaster is better and I won't have to go buy anything else!
I am retarded messy with all things powder anyway, so I don't notice it when I change powders...I just make sure it is spotless, clean what I spilled, and re-load it.
And yes, I would spend the money again unless there was something I knew was better AND I had the money for.

I just purchesed the dps3 have the 2 witch seems to SUCK I am hoping the 3 is going to be better.
The 2 is messing up BIG TIME I have also been checking with ballance beam... wow dose my crony like the beam. have to change 3 out of 5 dumps. Had it to Lyman already and it came back with a Nothing seems wrong

it crys cal all the time. if the 3 dose not work it gose back to lyman with a note that says keep your junk.

I've had the 1200 DPSIII and I now have the ChargeMaster. The ChargeMaster was my first choice but Natchez was out of it and I got tired of waiting so I caved and had them send me the Lyman.

The Lyman DPSIII was fast, too fast. In the auto-dispense mode as soon as the empty pan was placed back on the scale it started with the next charge. But the zero drift was so bad that 3 out of 5 charges had to be dumped as they would be off by .3 to .5grns. It was so bad I couldn't use it without verifying each and every charge on my AccuLab VIC123. If I had a 15 rnd batch to load up I would dump almost 30 charges according to the counter. Also, the powder bounces out of the pan and left a mess all the time. With all the do-overs it was slower than a powder measure and trickle system.

I now have the ChargeMaster and what a difference. Just sitting on my bench it may drift by .1grn over a period of several days but thats to be expected. It throws charges within ~ .05grns consistently (verified by an analytical balance). If it dispenses a 47.5grn charge of IMR4064 it is 47.47 - 47.53grn! A 15 round batch now takes about 17 dumps. The powder stays in the pan and its easy to change powders. I just recently changed the programming parameters and added a tube of rolled up paper to the end of the tube and did a few test throws and its even better but a few seconds slower. Its something I would buy again.

I just thought of something. There might be a reason - and I'm just thinking out loud, here- that I have decent luck with mine. I have had friends years back complaining about fluorescent/certain lighting affecting their electronic scales, so I am in the habit of keeping mine "shielded" in some manner from direct light (a/c and fans, too). Who knows if it would have any effect on my stuff. Next time I change powder, I will run some tests.

I have one of the old ones, & it works OK. It will drift +/- .1gr but if I watch it I have no problems. It is sensitive to Rf interferance. Just walking by it with a cell phone will send it into a tizzy for several minutes.
If it were to blow up, I'd probably try a RCBS next time.

I was told to wipe the keys with a lightly damp rag. This kills any static charge. It helped make it more consistant.