• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lyman Super Moly Bore Conditioner Cream?

SonicBurlap

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Aug 14, 2018
    I was looking at a sale for tools on Midway USA the other day and came across 'Lyman Super Moly Bore Conditioner Cream' which is supposed to reduce friction, decrease copper fouling, make cleaning a cinch, and extend barrel life. Being myself and mistrusting anything that came out of a marketing, or advertising pen I decided to poke around on the net and see what I could find. Most was a little confuse and the overwhelming majority was sales ads so I decided to see if anyone here has used this stuff, if it does what it claims, or if there are factors not mentioned. Any sharing of experience and knowledge will be appreciated. I am not interested in shooting moly coated rounds but was intrigued by the claims.

I trust what you say but do you have any more info on it?

Moly was all the rage in the 90’s. Nobody shoots it now, and for good reason. It was adding a variable that was impossible to control. In the old system, you have to moly the bore and shoot moly bullets. If you didn’t shoot moly bullets, you’d shoot out the moly you layed in the bore. It would build up in other places. It’s a near impossible element to break down, so once it builds up, you’re screwed.

Records keep falling in the various shooting disciplines, despite near zero use of moly.

One other thing, when you lube the bore with moly, you drop pressures for a given load, which slows velocities, not the other way around. You have to increase the powder charge to get it back.

If by chance you do shoot moly bullets, this product will work. You somewhat burnish your barrel after a cleaning, keeps your first few shots that could possibly be over pressure by cleaning.
    If you are not shooting moly coated bullets, this in your barrel cannot last long and it would be pointless to try, your load would be generating different pressures till it all settled in.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    If by chance you do shoot moly bullets, this product will work. You somewhat burnish your barrel after a cleaning, keeps your first few shots that could possibly be over pressure by cleaning.
    If you are not shooting moly coated bullets, this in your barrel cannot last long and it would be pointless to try, your load would be generating different pressures till it all settled in.

This sums it up nicely.

Thanks I appreciate the advice and the info. I had only found confuse info on the net, I 'll definitely stay away from this stuff and stick with what has worked for me. In the nineties I was busy traveling with gun for Uncle Sam so I missed all the developments on non government ranges. I shot what was issued.

Last edited: