• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M-16/Sako extractor extra counterbore in a 700?

ar15is223

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2007
Hello i was wondering if instaling a M-16/Sako style in a remington with a magnum bolt face required a counter bore greater than .705 .
Thanks.

Re: M-16/Sako extractor extra counterbore in a 700?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello i was wondering if instaling a M-16/Sako style in a remington with a magnum bolt face required a counter bore greater than .705 .
Thanks.
</div></div>

It DOES if you use the magnum Sako extractor!

Re: M-16/Sako extractor extra counterbore in a 700?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim Kobe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello i was wondering if instaling a M-16/Sako style in a remington with a magnum bolt face required a counter bore greater than .705 .
Thanks.
</div></div>

It DOES if you use the magnum Sako extractor! </div></div>

Hmmmmm, I didn't have to cut the counterbore larger on a 7mm WSM I built with a PTG bolt. It had the large Sako extractor. Most of the time, I use the Tubb 2000 unit on all of them, and they are alot smaller. I just went out and measured the 300wsm barrel for that receiver (switch barrel) and its .705" and has no problems with extraction using the magnum sako extractor. Maybe I got lucky. If installing a Sako, I would definitely use the Tubb 2000 one....if using an M16, get PTG's mini M16 extractor. It works like a champ on everything from .223 - Lapua's. The counterbore needs to be cut at .720" with the mini-m16.