• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A OR Bolt Gun?

ryznstr15

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
Nevada
Good evening all, thanks for taking the time to read this and give me your thoughts.
I have the chance to buy a M1A or to possibly get my hands on a Remington 700 ADL that I wanted to break down to just the receiver blue print it and build from there. i already have a savage 10FP that has work done. Any thoughts or suggestions etc are welcome. Please Help.

Re: M1A OR Bolt Gun?

god almighty son get the gas gun. You have a good shooting bolt action already. You can get a 700 ADL at Wally World. You know you want the M1A so I am ordering you to procure it post haste. And then post pics.

laugh.gif

HAHAHAHA thanks for the info. Now only if I can get the wife on-line with it. I have pics of what Im getting the guy works with me and he has it still in the box zero rounds through it. I think the wife knows its gonna be a price build to get it up to 900 yd or greater status.

What model M1A ? Standard , loaded, National Match, Super Match ? I have all three , the Super Match can hit at 1,000 yards without any further gunsmithing. Although it is not as precise as my bolt gun, it is still a very capable platform. I'd get the M1A.......... Remington actions can be found almost anywhere.

Mike

M1A is a nice fun gun that can be made to shoot very well, but can also become a bit of a money pit, and if you want a really top-notch semi, I'd be looking at an LR308 or LR260.

By the time you get done with upgrading the M1A, you've spent more time and buckage than just plunking down on an LR would consume. Wanna put your buckage where it'll do the most good? Chat up GAP about a custom AR10.

Greg

The M1A is authorized for CMP and NRA Service Rifle competition, as well as NRA LR Service Rifle competition. That may appeal to you, given that Service Rifle competition is a way to develop your marksmanship skills to an extraordinary level, should that be something you're interested in. If it's all about the gun, rather than the shooter (you), get the bolt gun.

Yes, I'd skipped over that part. IMHO <span style="font-style: italic">REAL MEN</span> (tut, tut..) shoot Garands in National Match Highpower; but that's really just a personal character flaw of mine... LOL!

Bolt gun or M1A for target shooting????

Silly Question

M1A%20_1_.jpg

Whatttt, M1A you will love it. Grab a piece of fighting history and shoot man! Go Old School, shoot the rifle like thoughs who defend this country using this fine weapon. You will gain more respect for those fine Veterans this Country has now and then. Then Thank Those That Are Still Here.. M1A enough said.

Get the M1-A. Like the others have said, you can always pick up a model 700. M1-A's are special.

I have an M1A Loaded model, and it is my favorite piece. Like another dude said you already have a good bolt gun, so I'd go with the M1A.

M1A hands down.
Not only for fun and NRA Service Rifle competition, but it does well in Heavy Metal 3 gun competition too.
BO may make it harder to get in the future, so get while the getting is good.

I'd be pretty surprised if you found that the Remi 700 will do something for you that your Savage isn't able to do already (assuming similar calibers/barrel lengths/etc). For the money, it's pretty hard to beat the Savage in the factory bolt-gun category and all the guys are right when they say you can pick up a Remington 700 almost anytime/anywhere. Go with the M1A...I found out the only drawback is that my Supermatch is so cool that my testicles drag when I'm carrying it around!

I also have drag marks on my scrotum from my M1A's awesomeness. Beware and formulate a plan now to prevent this phenomenon. It really is so cool IT HURTS

An M1a or AR-10 will hold its monetary value far better than any customized Rem 700. Once you've built a blueprinted Rem 700 custom you will understand.

M1a, especially with NM sights and the match gas mod will shoot, doesn't have to be a heavy barreled supermatch unless you are pursuing bug-size groups, and there are batter tools for that.

I got into AR-10 rifles because I found the M14 platform just too awkward with a scope. A flat top AR-10 is very much my preference these days, until I spend time with the A-2 with 24" 10T barrel I have built.

With precision match sights there are few rifles as versatile as the AR-10 or M1a. Not a big deal to install NM sights on either rifle. The 10 takes any A2 match sight and can be pinned as so many Service Rifle shooters opt to have done. Pretty easy to install NM sights on the M14 also.

Get the M1A. You already have a bolt gun, and M1As are pretty awesome. You can always get another Remington bolt later.

dito others here. you have yer tackdriving distance gun, now get yer multiple zombie headshot taker.

Get the M1A/M14 that will meet your needs. I prefer those with 18.0" standard or medium heavy profile barrels.
Have the rifle balanced and blueprinted by Ron Smith @ Smith Enterprise, Inc. and drop it into a SAGE EBR with the AR extension tube.
Shoot with iron sights or mount a scope with a LaRue LT-608. You will be amazed how accurate and reliable the M1A/M14 can be.