• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M1A Question

pwrstrkd

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2012
Dumb question but kinda bugging me. I used to hear a ding noise when dry firing my M1a after the trigger is pulled, like a resonating echo I guess is the best description. Anyways, now I dont hear that noise with that rifle, but I do hear it with my brand new standard M1A. Does this mean the hammer is slower or there could be a potential problem? I just dont get why it doesnt make the noise anymore.

Re: M1A Question

That's normal for a new SA M1A. I've got a couple and they both do it. Ping that is. Have you cleaned the older one?

L

The other one is relatively new too, everything functions fine but just dont understand why I cant hear the ping at all. Its a socom 2 with the muzzle brake.

I don't believe the SOCOMS ping as much. I can't remember why. It's normal though. Post this question on this board. You'll get an answer right off.

L

My national match 22" does it, it has at least 1K rounds through it. Seems to do it more with the USGI Flash hider on it ( had it on for a while while living in Florida). With the Ca-legal comp on it I don't notice it as much, although I've never stood next to it or seen/heard it on video with that. No idea what impact in the action makes that noise.

Mine's an older model. I got it in 1977. I don't ever remember hearing a "ping" as you discribed.

Of course now I couldn't hear a ping if there was one.

My socom 16 does it as well. Never had nay problems with it. I also have a "custom" national match type gun that I built and it does not have the ping ringing sound? Both shoot as good as they should and function too. I wouldn't worry about it.
Travis