• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m1a range question

Wreckinshop

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
The South
heya guys i got a nice deal on a m1a rifle. What kind of range is this rifle capable of thats still reliable? Im sure 1000 yards might be a stretch for this but is 800 an attainable goal for it? oh before i forget heres the info on it. Thanks for your input.

m1a loaded

Re: m1a range question

New toys are a good thing!

175's will get you to 1k and a little beyond.The rest is up to the driver and how well the weapon will deliver them.

Please share you 1000 yard load. What kind of groups are you getting at 1000 yards?

Jerry

There are many people who have/can/will shoot the M1A out to 1000 yards and tell you that it works all the time at that range... but I'm not one of 'em. I would not consider the M1A a good choice for a 1000 yard rifle. You will struggle to keep one shooting better than 1 MOA and it is somewhat limited in what you can do to improve long-range accuracy as compared to a bolt gun.

Mine is fine out to 600 yards, but beyond that it starts to really open up.

One more thing... the M1A may be the most fun rifle you will ever shoot and, if things go bad, I will still have mine after all my other weapons are gone.

-djr

I wouldn't shoot any ammo over 168 gr with the spindle valve "on", due to the possibility of bending your op rod. If you really want to shoot 1000 yards using 175 gr ammo, have SEI rebuild your rig into one of their Crazy Horse rifles. They're good for about 1 MOA, using M118LR.

www.smithenterprise.com/support05.html (seventh section down)

800 is easy with an M14/M1A if you're shooting 175s. It gets more challenging at 900.

1,000 separates the men from the boys.

You are going to get only so much velocity out of a 22-inch barrel. A good load is 44 grains of Varget under a 175 Sierra Match King. More than that is rifle abuse (and it will batter the rifle).

Come up between 43 to 44 minutes from bottom with an M14 using standard irons.

Most AMU-built competition M14s (and M21 Sniper Rifles) had a 1/64 inch hole drilled into the end of the gas plug to vent some pressure to keep the gas system from battering itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: restless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't shoot any ammo over 168 gr with the spindle valve "on", due to the possibility of bending your op rod. </div></div>

You might want to rethink/revamp that statement, somewhat.

When I shot Service Rifle M14/M1A's were the end all be all. There were a handfull of AR's but Garands and M14/1A's greatly outnumbered them. I guess I just dated myself.

Anyway, the M14's we got to shoot (through the DCM) were purpose built NM guns and would shoot 1MOA out to 1000 w/M118LR. I couldn't hold 1MOA but the rifle could. After turning 18 I had to turn in the rifle and all the gear... It was a dark day.

I've shot lots of 1000 yard matches with the M1A when I was shooting for the NG. It works good. Depending on the ammo supply I started out shooting white box M118, and mexican matching it by pulling the 173s and sticking in the 180 SMKs (this was the old pre-175 180s). After we started getting M852, I'd do the same thing, pull the 168s and stuff in 180s. Now I'm retired and dont have access to Guard ammo so I load LC cases with fed match primers, 41.5 grns of 4895 with 175 SMKs. Using the same zeros I used with the mexican match 180s.

I dont want to hear the BS the M1As/M14s dont shoot a 1000 yards. One years we were shooting a 1000 yard 29 Palms team match next to the AMU team. They were shooting M14s. The combined 4 man team fired (4 X 20) a 799 with a shit pot full of Xs.

I will admit that poor dude that dropped a point caught hell from the rest of the team. It was a pleasure to watch those guys shoot.

I normally shot a Model 70 Win 300 wm for the any rifle any sight and any rifle iron sight and the M1A in the service rifle 1000 yard matches. Unless it got real nasty (29 Palms) my M1A would hold its own against my magnum rifle.

I went to sniper school using the M21. Taught several sniper schoold using the M21. The M14s have and do shoot at 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: restless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't shoot any ammo over 168 gr with the spindle valve "on", due to the possibility of bending your op rod. </div></div>

You might want to rethink/revamp that statement, somewhat. </div></div>

Turning the spindle valve "off" (horizontal position) will turn an M1A/M14 into a repeater...no chance of excessive gas port pressure exerting its force on the op rod. HTH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: restless</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: restless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't shoot any ammo over 168 gr with the spindle valve "on", due to the possibility of bending your op rod. </div></div>

You might want to rethink/revamp that statement, somewhat. </div></div>

Turning the spindle valve "off" (horizontal position) will turn an M1A/M14 into a repeater...no chance of excessive gas port pressure exerting its force on the op rod. HTH. </div></div>

You want to try that again. Turning the spindle valve to shut off the gas = a locked up weapon for a few, with full power loads. With the valve on (gas flowing) = a repeater, ie semi auto or full auto in the case of real M14's like I own, an have owned for over 30+ years,... not clones.

I've ran issued NM weapons in the field as well as what was to become the XM21 more than once, 14's ain't new to me at all. Half of the info most folks read in None TM's is pure B/S, an that is coming from a guy that has been messing with them from 1964 to date.

I see no problems with the M1A platform at 1000 yards.
Using 4895 and 175 matchkings you'll find the rifle performs surprisingly well.
At least thats my....and another board members experience.

Gunfighter has 6 more years of work with a "14" than I do. I'm sure I do not have as many rounds down range as he has but enough to feel comfortable with it. I feel a wise man would yield to his knowledge of the M14. Will they hit what your aiming at 1000 yards out? Yup, will other platforms hit what your aiming at in a smaller place, Yup.
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: restless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Extraction of a spent cartridge with the gas system off IS difficult, but not impossible.

An alternative to turning off the spindle valve would be to install a vented or adjustable Schuster gas plug, or a NM grooved gas piston.</div></div>

Funny you should add the Schuster plug because my unit armor drilled the plug in my M14e2 to slow her ROF down to about 4-450 rpm circa 1965-66. Then while playing around upped the ROF to appx 1100RPM by changing the gas port hole in the barrel, and gas cylinder hole. Then we changed the auto connecter, auto sear timing, an saftey bridge cut to complete the ROF change. I prefered the faster rate vs the slower. She was easier to hold on the high rate if you knew what you were doing. Trigger control for a 3rd burst was easier as well.
We played with the NM TRW's for long work as well and they would reach past 1k no problem, but you had to drive her right, an be selective with ammo an lot numbers. Battalion supply would trade anything for the correct lot numbers. We also ran Red an Yellow boxs marked Winchester, that they got from a PX state side, or Subic, depending on who was arriving first.
As for trigger time, I've learned a trick or two over the years, but then again 17 barrels on my own NFA E2 and many others on Std NFA 14's will teach you a thing or three.

I learned from the M14 master, his name,.. Master Sgt Rose. That man taught me everything I know about running the 14 family, an I owe him my life, for that. He could make any M14 no matter how dressed or issued,... walk on water. You would have had to see him in action, to believe it. His shooting ability is still talked about by those that were with him, or ever seen him shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunfighter has 6 more years of work with a "14" than I do. I'm sure I do not have as many rounds down range as he has but enough to feel comfortable with it. I feel a wise man would yield to his knowledge of the M14. Will they hit what your aiming at 1000 yards out? Yup, will other platforms hit what your aiming at in a smaller place, Yup.
Semper Fi </div></div>

I have no doubts, <span style="font-weight: bold">whatsoever</span>, about Gunfighter14e2's expertise.

In fact, I'd like to tap into that knowledge and experience:

Gunfighter14e2, what precautions, if any, do you have for someone who wants to shoot 175 gr SMK commercial ammo through a commercially-produced M14-styled, semi-auto rifle?

Once a year for the last twelve (12) years I shot a 1000 yds match at my club. I use only an M1A with 175 Serria match kings. Year after year my rifle shot and still shoots 19" at 1000. Not one (1) min. But it's the best I can do. At 100 yds the rifle shoots just under one (1) min. So at a 1000 it's me for sure. This is scoped and not iron sited (I bet the groups would really open up then). For what it's worth I have no problems with 175's, No bent op-rods or bust parts at all. The 175's leave my barrel at 2642 fps don't seem to have much problems at all. As a side note the last 1000 match I had to use a bolt gun because of scope problems with the M1A. The bolt gun is a GA built Rock with a A5 MAc stock. I shot worse with it. Guess I need to get use to the bolt gun before I try that again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: restless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
95LTZ said:
what precautions, if any, do you have for someone who wants to shoot 175 gr SMK commercial ammo through a commercially-produced M14-styled, semi-auto rifle? </div></div>

First thing, you want to remember is to get something, you have to give up something. Other than that, it is how much money you want to spend, to drive a 14 to the target your after. As for a "Factory" loaded 175smk you don't have much to worry about, even though it's more pressure, than normal NATO working pressure. I doubt you will get her combat hot, where port pressure really jumps. The M14 was "Made" to do many tasks. Some of those tasks were never on the drawing board when she went into production, but she adapted to some tasks w/o issue, not so well to others. Quality training, and a stalwart operator, made up for her short comings everytime.

I've a rack gun that will drive my 175smk handloads into a 1-1.5 moa group with iron sights, depending on my day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you do any mods to your M1A?
</div></div>
Yes it sits in a USGI N.M. Birch stock and is bedded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, USGI or aftermarket parts?</div></div> All USGI except the receiver, muzzle break and Medium weight barrel.

Mil Brass, Fed match primers, 42 grains of IMR 4895, Sierra 175 grain match kings, Bullet seated to 2.145 at the ogive.
Avg temp 80, altitude 4300 ft. Avg Velocity 2642 fps.