• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M1A Scout release date and serial # info

Clob McStrunk

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2020
Chattanooga
Apparently, I'm not interneting good today, but can someone help me with the release date of the Scout model of the Springfield M1a?

Is there a certain serial number at which they started for that variant? If so, did all rifles/models continue the same serialization scheme or did they differentiate?

Probably one source for that question about Scouts:

Springfield Armory, Inc.
Customer service
1 (800) 680-6866
'did all rifles/models continue the same serialization scheme or did they differentiate?
As for serial numbers, they are sequential since the get-go and not model specific, aside from a few limited release M1A rifles over the years (small number of IDF commemoratives sniper rifles in the 1990s, the M25/White Feather model of the 200Xs, etc). They are currently in the 400k range.

Spoke with a csr at Springfield today, super helpful dude.

However, he couldnt tell me when production of the scout variant started. He was able to reference my serial number and give me a month/year of production, but only that it was a "M1A rifle, with wood stock"

A bit of Google Fu and it looks like the “New Product reviews” for the scout started mid-2010. Which is about right because that was when there was the whole scout rifle craze.

Which lasted about a week.

There are probably old threads in SH about it.

One of the launch reviews.

Sirhr

Reactions: ZG47A
I can't recall if Springfield had their Scout before or after their SOCOM model which was ~2004. The Scout Squad is a newer product.
If they were before it wasn't much as other manufacturers didn't jump onto that bandwagon until after 1998 when the Steyr was introduced.

Much like the bolt action Scouts were customs prior to that there were others who did the same on the M1A. A friend I shot with had one in the early 90's that was made by Derrick Martin IIRC. The Scout and the Tanker Garand was the inspiration for it.